rear wheel hub

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rear wheel hub

wickedstuff
Hi, ive had a look in the manual but its not that clear, but can anybody please tell me inside the rear wheel hub you have a metal tube spacer, does that fall out once the bearing on the cush pad side comes out. why i ask is im having trouble with what tools (no pullers) i have to remove the wheel bearing on the cush rubber side, but i have removed the bearing on the other side and im just wondering if i tap the spacer tube down against the bearing to push the bearing out will this work? or does the space not move? and is perm in the hub. thanks.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

gordon.smith29
That spacer tube should fall out...then use something else as a drift on the rear (inside) portion of the bearing you are trying to remove. If you use the spacer as a drift you will damage the edges which will make re-fitting it and re-alignment a tad difficult, meaning the wheel spindle won't go in that easily first time around.
 A minor mis-aligment is fine as inserting the spindle will put things right, usually...
 Hth
 Cheers
 Gordon
 2xBBB,1xTiger800
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

djacarr@sky.com
No, you shouldn't use the spacer as a drift. You say you have removed the sprocket-side bearing? Then just remove the spacer (might need a light tap on the 'free' end to break the 'stiction', then lay the hub cush drive side down and remove the bearing by inserting a suitable tool through the centre of the hub and against the back of the bearing and tap it out. As far as I know (and remember here I am the person that suggested you could check the starter sprag by removing the starter motor :)  ) there is no circlip holding the bearing place.

You may need to use a couple of pieces of wood to raise the hub up a bit to give enough clearance.

A suitable tool should really be a bearing drift, but I have (carefully) used a screwdriver before - just don't damage the bearing journal....



On Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 11:06, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
 
That spacer tube should fall out...then use something else as a drift on the rear (inside) portion of the bearing you are trying to remove.
If you use the spacer as a drift you will damage the edges which will make re-fitting it and re-alignment a tad difficult, meaning the wheel spindle won't go in that easily first time around.
A minor mis-aligment is fine as inserting the spindle will put things right, usually...
Hth
Cheers
Gordon
2xBBB,1xTiger800  
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

wickedstuff
sounds like the spacer is the problem, the bearing is out on the other side and there looks to be a tin plate? that stops the spacer from coming out, if that spacer will come out getting the bearing out is a walk in the park, at the moment im trying to drift out from inside the spacer to the lip of the inner bearing and some times this works but not on this wheel. so looks like i have to take a closer look at this plate than is holding in the spacer.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

Stephen Johnson
In reply to this post by wickedstuff
The spacer comes out once the bearing is removed.  Do not use the spacer to
drive the bearing out as it will be damaged.  Use a drift and hammer
through the middle of the spacer.  Don't forget to put the spacer back in
when installing the new bearings.

Steve
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

djacarr@sky.com
In reply to this post by wickedstuff
Can you get any photos of it? Sounds very odd...



________________________________
From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 11:59
Subject: Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: rear wheel hub



 
sounds like the spacer is the problem, the bearing is out on the other side and there looks to be a tin plate? that stops the spacer from coming out, if that spacer will come out getting the bearing out is a walk in the park, at the moment im trying to drift out from inside the spacer to the lip of the inner bearing and some times this works but not on this wheel. so looks like i have to take a closer look at this plate than is holding in the spacer. 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

djacarr@sky.com
In reply to this post by wickedstuff
Just a sec, if you are trying get the cush drive side bearing out you should be working through the hub from the sprocket side.... not through the spacer...



________________________________
From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 11:59
Subject: Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: rear wheel hub



 
sounds like the spacer is the problem, the bearing is out on the other side and there looks to be a tin plate? that stops the spacer from coming out, if that spacer will come out getting the bearing out is a walk in the park, at the moment im trying to drift out from inside the spacer to the lip of the inner bearing and some times this works but not on this wheel. so looks like i have to take a closer look at this plate than is holding in the spacer. 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

nort75mk3
In reply to this post by wickedstuff
what you need a an exploded view of things from a parts book so you can see
 what's in there.....maybe?
 
,,,Tim
 
 
In a message dated 3/12/2014 8:31:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,  
[hidden email] writes:

 
 
 
 
Just a sec, if you are trying get the cush drive side bearing out  you
should be working through the hub from the sprocket side.... not through  the
spacer...




 
 

From: "[hidden email]"  <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]  
Sent: Wednesday, 12 March  2014, 11:59
Subject: Re:  [TriumphTrophy] Re: rear wheel hub



 
 
 
 
sounds like the spacer is the problem, the bearing is out on the other  
side and there looks to be a tin plate? that stops the spacer from coming out,  
if that spacer will come out getting the bearing out is a walk in the park,
at  the moment im trying to drift out from inside the spacer to the lip of
the  inner bearing and some times this works but not on this wheel. so looks
like i  have to take a closer look at this plate than is holding in the  
spacer.















Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

djacarr@sky.com
I usually look on http://www.worldoftriumph.com/ and follow the link to Triumph Parts.....



On Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 15:52, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
 
what you need a an exploded view of things from a parts book so you can see
what's in there.....maybe?

,,,Tim

In a message dated 3/12/2014 8:31:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:
 

>Just a sec, if you are trying get the cush drive side bearing out  you should be working through the hub from the sprocket side.... not through  the spacer...
>
>
>
>
>________________________________
>From: "[hidden email]"  <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Sent: Wednesday, 12 March  2014, 11:59
>Subject: Re:  [TriumphTrophy] Re: rear wheel hub
>
>
>

>sounds like the spacer is the problem, the bearing is out on the other  side and there looks to be a tin plate? that stops the spacer from coming out,  if that spacer will come out getting the bearing out is a walk in the park, at  the moment im trying to drift out from inside the spacer to the lip of the  inner bearing and some times this works but not on this wheel. so looks like i  have to take a closer look at this plate than is holding in the  spacer. 
>
>    
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

rebullet
In reply to this post by wickedstuff
This caused me significant problems, there is a large flange near one end of the tube, so the spacer tube will only come out one way...
 caused me a lot of bother.
 I made a special tool to help remove the bearing on one side, drive side if I recall correctly, then I used a long 1/2" square drive extension rod inside the tube, as a sort of slide hammer to persuade the tube and disc side bearing to come out. (have you removed the oil seal and the circlip first?)
 regards Jan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

wickedstuff
Jan yourve head the nail of the head! im still to read other members comments below yours, but you know what im trying to put across in my questions, do you have a photo of the tool you made? its not very often i get caught out not being able to remove bearings, ive dont quite a few over 20yrs or more, but this one is bit different and rather than scratch my head and try and figure it out i thought id ask the group :-) yes oil seals removed, circlip removed, once ive removed those you can see the inner tube with 2 small slots cut out of it at 180deg to each other, not quite why those slots are there? there must some sort of flange on the tube at that end coz if there wasnt i would think the tube could just slide out, but it doesnt. can anybody tell me if there is a flange on the tube itself so it will only come out one side of the hub. thanks.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

wickedstuff
In reply to this post by Stephen Johnson
thanks Steve, thats what im presently doing, using a drift down through the tube to try and rest on a thin lip of the inner edge of the bearing, but my tube (maybe everybodies?) does not move sideways in the hub at all, so you can slide it aside to gain more access to the back of the lower bearing for drifting, at the moment my drift is only catching about 1m of bearing before it slips off through the inner hole, i may have to go for narrower drift or see if this inner tube can move sideways a few mm to give me more bearing lip to rest the drift on before hammer time!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub [4 Attachments]

rebullet
In reply to this post by wickedstuff
I think the cut outs are intended to allow you to use a punch, to drift the bearing out...   (Didn't work for me)
if you have the bearing out on that side. you have done the hard bit.
Attached are pictures of the tube, the tool disassembled, the tool partially assembled and you can see that the tapered rod opens up the split collet jamming it above the bearing centre hole, allowing me to drift the bearing out...  (used this to get the first bearing out... but you have done that... )
then in the last picture you can see my 4inch extension off the socket set.  (I actualy used the 8inch extension but can't remember where I put it at the moment,
and with the tube still in the wheel, I inserted the narrow end on the extension into the centre hole, with the wheel suspended above the work table, facing down with the bearing at the bottom. I then slammed the extension down like a slide hammer, and the impetus transferred itself through the tube onto the bearing, and drifted the bearing out, little by little... hope this helps you. regards Joan





On Thursday, 13 March 2014, 10:59, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
 
Jan yourve head the nail of the head! im still to read other members comments below yours, but you know what im trying to put across in my questions, do you have a photo of the tool you made? its not very often i get caught out not being able to remove bearings, ive dont quite a few over 20yrs or more, but this one is bit different and rather than scratch my head and try and figure it out i thought id ask the group :-) yes oil seals removed, circlip removed, once ive removed those you can see the inner tube with 2 small slots cut out of it at 180deg to each other, not quite why those slots are there? there must some sort of flange on the tube at that end coz if there wasnt i would think the tube could just slide out, but it doesnt. can anybody tell me if there is a flange on the tube itself so it will only come out one side of the hub. thanks.   
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

wickedstuff
Thanks Joan, thats very helpful and gives me a lot more to go on, i will take down some notes and take another look at this job in the weekend, thanks again for putting yourself out with the info and the photos, good one.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

rebullet
:) no problem Angus...
 good luck!
 :)
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rear wheel hub

wickedstuff
job done and will add photos to my folder. im pretty sure the two cut out's in the end of the inner spacer tube is for a special triumph tool, ie, the tool goes to the two slots and downward pressure is placed there rather on the top outer face. i did take a look at a rear wheel parts diagram on triumphoftheworld to double check the way every sits. the easy way for others to do this job is ......... dust/oil seal out using a big screwdriver levering them, ping they are out, take circlip out, punch out the sprocket side bearing ''first'' using a drift (sold rod of suitable diameter, down through the inside of the spacer tube on to the inner bearing lip/edge) once that bearing is out you will see below that there is a inner spacer tube (that runs through the hub) with 2 slots cut out of it. use a 19 and 20mm socket 1/2'' drive with an extension tube on it so you can use a good heavy hammer. use blocks of wood underneath the other side (see photos) but not covering the area where the bearing will be coming out. the 19 & 20mm sockets i used may differ in out side socket thickness so double check before club it with the hammer, you dont want the outside of the socket to hit the hub housing, so double check, the idea is as you hit the end of the extension tube with the hammer (good heavy hammer) your driving that spacer tube down and its flat flange inside at the other end is pushing the bearing out, works well and no damage is done to the spacer if you use a good heavy hammer and reducing the amount of blows you are hitting (use a small hammer and you will be there all day and may damage the spacer tube)  bearing out job done.