Working to get my '96 900 back on the road.

Working to get my '96 900 back on the road.

Ron Sands-2
It's been down for 4 years.  The timing chain snapped, bent 2 valves and I
got pissed and parked it.  All because I didn't check the timing chain
spring when I had it apart for a head gasket replacement.  I bought a new
head from eBay but found that a spark plug hole was stripped after I
installed the head.  Got the head fixed and am waiting on a new head gasket
(.010" over in thickness since the head was skimmed).

My clutch has always stuck when the bike sat for a period of time.  I'd
have to put in gear and break it lose before starting the engine.  I bought
a new clutch pack set and when I put it all together, the pressure plate
does not rest against the clutch disks.  I refitted that old clutch pack
and it is the same.  If I remove the rod from the slave cylinder, it goes
together well.  Question, could it be something in the slave cylinder has
expanded?

Also, I have not put water and oil in the engine yet.  Since I pulled the
head, would I have to pull the jugs and put a fresh coat of hylomar on
them?  I don't think so but I'd like some opinions.

BTW - if you ever have your head skimmed (from warpage), this is the only
place I found that will make an oversized gasket.  https://www.cometic.com/
Triumph does not provide oversized head gaskets.  My new gasket will be
made of copper.  I sent a new original  to them and gave them the increased
thickness needed as spec-ed by my machinist.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Ron
1996 Trophy 900 Merlot

Re: Working to get my '96 900 back on the road.

gandrews1228
Hi Ron, So 2 valves got bent. Did you replace the piston that hit the valves? The timing chain tightness is held in place by the ratchet on the plunger, not just the spring. Make sure the ratchet mechanism is working. Yes pull the jugs and put in a fresh coat of sealer. I couldn't get hylomar, the local Triumph shop recommend black silicone RTV. The jugs should go into the case tightly. For some reason my brother's Super III had loose fitting jugs. The hylomar didn't seal it properly and antifreeze got into the oil. Big oops, we had to replace the connecting rod bearings and crankshaft. The only way to get a tight seal was to bore the case to accept 955 jugs and pistons. I then labeled the bike a Super Duper III. Greg

Re: Working to get my '96 900 back on the road.

gandrews1228
Hi Ron, I forgot. Put your clutch pack back in without the rod. It is just taking up the slack. When putting on the clutch slave you'll notice a bit of resistance before it settles down on the sprocket cover. Greg

Re: Working to get my '96 900 back on the road.

Samuel Crider
Hi Ron,

That's good advice Greg. Do check the plunger/ratchet as I've encountered
one with fractures in the side of the housing before.

Best wishes,
Samuel
96 BBBB PB
NOLA

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 4:17 PM [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ron, I forgot. Put your clutch pack back in without the rod. It is just
> taking up the slack. When putting on the clutch slave you'll notice a bit
> of resistance before it settles down on the sprocket cover.
> Greg

Re: Working to get my '96 900 back on the road.

Ron Sands-2
Posted by:  [hidden email] [hidden email]
    Date: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:10 pm ((PDT))

Hi Greg,

I was hoping you would reply.

> Hi Ron, So 2 valves got bent. Did you replace the piston that hit the
valves?

Believe it or not, the piston suffered no damage just knocked some carbon
off.  #3 exhaust valves are bent.  The jug is fine too.  I've had other
eyes look at this too.

> The timing chain tightness is held in place by the ratchet on the
plunger, not just the spring.

Agree.  My spring was about 5mm out of tolerance (too compressed) which
didn't push the ratchet in to keep the chain tight.

>  Make sure the ratchet mechanism is working. Yes pull the jugs and put in
a fresh coat of sealer. I couldn't get hylomar, the local Triumph shop
recommend black silicone RTV.

Then I will pull; the jugs and recoat with hylomar.  I was able to source
it.

> I forgot. Put your clutch pack back in without the rod. It is just taking
up the slack. When putting on the clutch slave you'll notice a bit of
resistance before it settles down on the sprocket cover.

I did that.  I removed the slave cylinder which then allowed the pressure
plate to seat properly.  When I try to replace the cylinder with the
pressure plate installed, I cannot get to compress.  I will drain the fluid
and check the seals.

Thank you so much for the info.

Ron
'96 Trophy 900