Why I consider myself part British (topic change from Transatlantic Shipping)

Why I consider myself part British (topic change from Transatlantic Shipping)

Bud Izen
Gordon -

In a past life, I taught electronics in a California state prison. In
order to make us civil service instructors comparable to public school
instructors, we were offered a "10/12" plan, which would split our
yearly salary for 10 months over 12 months, and allowed us to take off
two months in a row. At the time, I was married to a British woman from
London, so for several years, two months at a time, I got to live in London.

Each time we went over, we acquired a different bike until we stabilized
on the XS 750. Over the years, I had several of these bikes, from one of
the first imported into San Francisco in 1976, a Special in '79 and an
xs-850 that I found after moving to Portland in 1996. All were great
fun, reliable bikes. I've only owned two four-cylinder bikes ever, a
Yamaha Radian and a Yamaha Seca. Other than that, it's been all twins
and triples.

I had never ever split lanes anywhere until I was running late for an
appointment in London and the traffic was solid incoming on the A40.
After my clutch hand was nearly failing, and bike after bike kept
passing me, I breathed a deep breath and took the plunge. Let me tell
you, if you don't already know, lane splitting in London was (at the
time) a LOT safer procedure than, say, trying the same thing on the
freeways of Los Angeles. The London drivers were much more aware of
motorcycles and were far less inclined, in my experience, to
deliberately cut you off or attempt to open their doors in front of you
as you drove by.

After that, the sky was the limit. I started going out for fun and
riding around to see if I could keep up with the much younger kids on
their hot delivery bikes. At the time, one of the best "learner" bikes
was the European model of the Yamaha two stroke RD350 (I owned one in
California for a few years). Very much faster than my XS-750, but there
I was, in London, on my relatively huge XS-750 doing a great job of
keeping pace with the "despatch" (dispatch over here) riders. When I
think of the things I did then, well, let's put it this way, I just
don't ride like that anymore. But it was the most fun imaginable that
you could have on urban streets with heavy traffic. I still miss it.

Bud Izen
'99 Platinum 900
Eugene Oregon

RE: Why I consider myself part British (topic change from Transatlantic Shipping)

Ken Hastie

..and it's even safer in Rome.  Everyone grew up on a 'Wasp' of 'Lambretta'
(now it seems to be Peugeots)

I had no qualms at all about getting to the Piazza Poppolo on a big bike.
When I got there and stood the bike on the footpath a Carabineri came up to
me and asked me to move my bike to a place where he could keep an eye on it
for me.  Nice people, the Italians.

Ken Hastie
Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
and D14 Bantams

Re: Why I consider myself part British (topic change from Transatlantic Shipping)

adeux60
Well we probably passed on the a40 marylebone road.

I both worked in central London and commuted down the a40 and also rode dispatch all at the same time....the marylebone road was my traffic ladened race track. The north circular my personal night time racetrack.

I had multiple bikes but I loved my gt250 with specially narrowed higher bars.

Eventually I made a risk assessment and chose a more sedentary life style...

> [...]

gordon.smith29
Hi Bud,

Thanks for that - Older a wiser now and with a BBB to boot!
Can't be bad..

Cheers
Gordon

--- In [hidden email], Bud Izen <budizen@...> wrote:

I just don't ride like that anymore. But it was the most fun imaginable that you could have on urban streets with heavy traffic. I still miss it.

Bud Izen
'99 Platinum 900
Eugene Oregon

Re: Why I consider myself part British (topic change from Transatlantic Shipping)

gordon.smith29
See my comment...'Older and wiser now and with a BBB to boot! Can't be all bad.'