Vacuum shutoff valve

David Webb
I was thinking about how to shut off the fuel to my engine with the engine running...

Well, since I don't have a good way to mechanically operate the petcock and ensure that it's in its closed position, could I perhaps add an inline valve on the vacuum line from carb 2 to the petcock?  This would give me the ability to run my carbs dry if I needed to, and to save me the risk of my bike wetting the bed again if it so decides.

There are tons of quarter-turn plastic valves for air hose in the aquarium industry, but I bet that there are some good brass valves that will do the same thing.  Maybe something like the Motion Pro 08-0038 3/16" Inline Fuel Valve that I found on Amazon.

I just spent some time looking for a 3/16" elbow.  I guess I'll be carefully checking instead to make sure I didn't crimp the line, because I'm at a loss to find one.  I remember someone posting that they soldered a brass elbow onto their fuel tap.  That's sounding like a good idea to me about now.

2nd question: Is there something about carburetor 2 that makes it the best place to draw vacuum from, or is that just what they did?

Dave

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

adeux60
Any carb will do for vac takeoff but don't share it with a Scott oiler as they can leak air with consequential results.

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

Ian Peart
Interesting... My bike has a Scottoiler on a “T” on the vacuum take-off of No. 2. Never had a problem so far, but what can happen?

Ian

Any carb will do for vac takeoff but don't share it with a Scott oiler as they can leak air with consequential results.

  _____

No virus found in this message.

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

apsllp@bellsouth.net
If there already is vac on the line,  closing a valve will trap the vac between the valve and the petcock.   Just pull the line off.  (Although your bike will run like crus when you do).  Best solution,  shut down the bike and start removing the tank.

Bob Clark

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

Ed Johnson
Dave; You can't really run your carbs dry. You can only run them until
the float needle shuts off fuel to the engine. You are still going to
have fuel in the bottom of the float bowls unless you also drain the
float bowls. Seems like a lot of work to me but if the bike is going to
sit for a while it might be worth it. I do this to my lawn equipment
before winter storage and the only negative is the gaskets and O rings
dry out.
*Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy 1200**
On 4/29/2014 3:49 PM, David Webb wrote:

> I was thinking about how to shut off the fuel to my engine with the
> engine running...
>
> Well, since I don't have a good way to mechanically operate the
> petcock and ensure that it's in its closed position, could I perhaps
> add an inline valve on the vacuum line from carb 2 to the petcock?
>  This would give me the ability to run my carbs dry if I needed to,
> and to save me the risk of my bike wetting the bed again if it so decides.
>
> There are tons of quarter-turn plastic valves for air hose in the
> aquarium industry, but I bet that there are some good brass valves
> that will do the same thing.  Maybe something like the Motion Pro
> 08-0038 3/16" Inline Fuel Valve
> <http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0038-Inline-Valve/dp/B009D2R5YU>
> that I found on Amazon.
>
> I just spent some time looking for a 3/16" elbow.  I guess I'll be
> carefully checking instead to make sure I didn't crimp the line,
> because I'm at a loss to find one.  I remember someone posting that
> they soldered a brass elbow onto their fuel tap.  That's sounding like
> a good idea to me about now.
>
> 2nd question: Is there something about carburetor 2 that makes it the
> best place to draw vacuum from, or is that just what they did?
>
> Dave

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

apsllp@bellsouth.net
Sta-bil works for keeping mine in good shape.   Has for many years in everything I run.

Bob Clark

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

David Webb
Good point.  Any valve that I were to use would need to be a vacuum bypass valve, with the bypass venting atmospheric to the fuel tap and the main vacuum line being the other leg that is closed off when the valve gets turned to bypass.

Dave W.

>________________________________

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

David Webb
I'm probably over-reacting, but it really wasn't fun when my bike wet itself and I'm not all that confident that I don't still have liner flakes inside my tank.  I pulled another 20"sq out of the tank on Monday, and when I shake the tank, I can still hear a little bit of FePO4 ash inside.  Maybe a light rinse with gasoline will help.

I reassembled my fuel tap yesterday, cleaning some rust flakes off of the inner diaphragm and lubricating the o-ring with a swimming pool prefilter o-ring lubricant (looks like petroleum jelly).  I still need to do some exterior cleaning on it and to remove the rubber cement material from the spacer.

My replacement o-rings for my spacer should arrive today.  Once assembled, I can do a fluid check on the tank to make sure it doesn't leak.

Dave

>________________________________

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

nort75mk3
try the plumbing section at the hardware store for a brass elbow......??
maybe one that uses a compression fitting.

Tim

In a message dated 4/30/2014 6:20:55 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

[...]

don't all the carbs each have the drain screws on the side? Both of my
1996 bikes do...........

Tim

In a message dated 4/30/2014 7:46:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Dave;  You can't really run your carbs dry. You can only run them until the
float  needle shuts off fuel to the engine. You are still going to have
fuel in the  bottom of the float bowls unless you also drain the float bowls.
Seems like a  lot of work to me but if the bike is going to sit for a while
it might be  worth it. I do this to my lawn equipment before winter storage
and the only  negative is the gaskets and O rings dry out.
Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy  1200

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

Ed Johnson
Yes they do! My point was that you would also have to drain the float
bowls to get all the fuel out of the carbs. Just shutting off the fuel
and running the bike until it stops does NOT get all the fuel out. The
best solution is to make sure the vacuum petcock is operating as it is
designed to.
On 4/30/2014 12:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> don't all the carbs each have the drain screws on the side? Both of my
> 1996 bikes do...........
> Tim
> In a message dated 4/30/2014 7:46:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
>     Dave; You can't really run your carbs dry. You can only run them
>     until the float needle shuts off fuel to the engine. You are still
>     going to have fuel in the bottom of the float bowls unless you
>     also drain the float bowls. Seems like a lot of work to me but if
>     the bike is going to sit for a while it might be worth it. I do
>     this to my lawn equipment before winter storage and the only
>     negative is the gaskets and O rings dry out.
>     *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy 1200**

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

David Webb
Yes, I was thinking more about running the carbs dry by shutting off the fuel about 1/2 mile before I got to work.  I don't have a good way to drain the carbs when I'm at work, and I'm too lazy to do it at home every time I ride.

If I can trust the vacuum petcock to work, then I will have less concern.

Dave

Exactly

Good point.  Any valve that I were to use would need to be a vacuum bypass valve, with the bypass venting atmospheric to the fuel tap and the main vacuum line being the other leg that is closed off when the valve gets turned to bypass.
Dave W.

Re: Vacuum shutoff valve

adeux60
I just run mine onto reserve -the way mine cuts out is draconian.....