Triumph Trophy 900 - 1998 twin headlight model

Triumph Trophy 900 - 1998 twin headlight model

garyn_uk
Hi

 Any idea why (and how to cure) my fuel gauge only reads when the tank is almost full then abruptly reads empty after only about 30-50 miles done. Apologies if dealt with in other posts but I could not see how to search them.

 rgds

 Gary

Re: Triumph Trophy 900 - 1998 twin headlight model

rebullet
 These Triumphs are really thirsty!...  Lol,
I suspect that your fuel level sender is faulty.
there is often a lot of rust in the tank which may be preventing it working..
or the rheostat may be faulty.
might be worth having a loook and cleaning if necessaryregards Joan

    On Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 14:16:01 BST, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

Any idea why (and how to cure) my fuel gauge only reads when the tank is almost full then abruptly reads empty after only about 30-50 miles done. Apologies if dealt with in other posts but I could not see how to search them.

rgds

Gary

Re: Triumph Trophy 900 - 1998 twin headlight model

Nigel Keating
I’ve not heard of this on a trophy. However there is s fuel sender in the bottom of the tank that has a long arm with a float. The other end has a small wiper that runs on a rheostat. It sounds like the wiper is not making sufficient contact. You would need to drain the tank but a good time to check for corrosion inside and give a good clean and maybe seal. A lot of the rust actually attracts itself to the fuel sender as the rheostat presumably acts like a small electromagnet.

Cheers,  Nigel

Nigel
Sent from my iPhone

> On 30 May 2018, at 14:15, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>

> Any idea why (and how to cure) my fuel gauge only reads when the tank is almost full then abruptly reads empty after only about 30-50 miles done. Apologies if dealt with in other posts but I could not see how to search them..
>

> rgds
>

> Gary

Re: Triumph Trophy 900 - 1998 twin headlight model

Samuel Crider
Hi Gary,

Joan hit the nail on the head. Try pulling the tank and giving it a good
flushing. Sounds like the fine rust powder has taken over. Would probably
be a good idea to pull the sending unit as well. Just to make sure to get
it totally cleaned out. If your lucky the wirewound resistor and conductive
brush are still serviceable. While you in there would be a good time to
dismantle and do the same to the petcock assembly.

Best wishes,

Samuel
96 BBBB PB
New Orleans

On Wed, May 30, 2018, 9:07 AM Nigel Keating [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve not heard of this on a trophy. However there is s fuel sender in the
> bottom of the tank that has a long arm with a float. The other end has a
> small wiper that runs on a rheostat. It sounds like the wiper is not making
> sufficient contact. You would need to drain the tank but a good time to
> check for corrosion inside and give a good clean and maybe seal. A lot of
> the rust actually attracts itself to the fuel sender as the rheostat
> presumably acts like a small electromagnet.
>
> Cheers,  Nigel
>

> Nigel
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 30 May 2018, at 14:15, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi
>

> Any idea why (and how to cure) my fuel gauge only reads when the tank is
> almost full then abruptly reads empty after only about 30-50 miles done. Apologies
> if dealt with in other posts but I could not see how to search them.
>

> rgds
>

> Gary

Re: Triumph Trophy 900 - 1998 twin headlight model

Viper57
Hi

I had the exact same issue with my '98 Trophy - I ended up replacing the
fuel sender unit in the fuel tank (It cost me $50 Australian dollars, still
readily available from Triumph) - problem solved. Must have worn out over
the years I suppose

I thought about cleaning it but after looking at the condition the unit was
in I decided to replace it

Cheers
Gary

--