Transatlantic shipping

Don Simon
Having relocated to TX my '93 Trophy 900 is still stuck in UK and receiving absurd shipping quotes, even port-to-port only. Anyone know anyone? Thanks.

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60
whats absurd?

--- In [hidden email], "Don Simon" <simon.tetlow@...> wrote:

> Having relocated to TX my '93 Trophy 900 is still stuck in UK and receiving absurd shipping quotes, even port-to-port only. Anyone know anyone? Thanks.

Re: Transatlantic shipping

Don Simon
Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to
collect.

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60
call it $5 per kilo - sounds reasonable to me to move a fragile, hazardous cargo, uncrated. if it is crated and cleaned of fuel, oil, acid, asbestos etc (to avoid hazardous rating) then maybe it would go groupage? but then you have to move it crated to port.

you are better off selling it then - I'll have the engine

A2

--- In [hidden email], Simon Tetlow <simon.tetlow@...> wrote:

> Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
> back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to
> collect.

Re: Re: Transatlantic shipping

Ed Johnson
In my opinion it would be more cost effective to just give the whole
bike to A2 and buy another one stateside! O:-)
*Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
On 11/19/2012 3:23 PM, a2 - inoperative emessages wrote:

> call it $5 per kilo - sounds reasonable to me to move a fragile, hazardous cargo, uncrated. if it is crated and cleaned of fuel, oil, acid, asbestos etc (to avoid hazardous rating) then maybe it would go groupage? but then you have to move it crated to port.
>
> you are better off selling it then - I'll have the engine
>
> A2
>

> --- In [hidden email], Simon Tetlow <simon.tetlow@...> wrote:
>> Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
>> back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to
>> collect.
>>

> ------------------------------------
>
> List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.
>

> Post message: [hidden email]
> Subscribe:  [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
> List owner:  [hidden email]
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you have a slow PC? Try Free scan

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60

Don't temp me....is it that the merlot sunrise colour.....On the last models? Does the engine purrrr.....   Oh no

You need a 1200 for Texas in any event - we don't let the 900's leave these shores now.....

A2

--- In [hidden email], Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

> In my opinion it would be more cost effective to just give the whole
> bike to A2 and buy another one stateside! O:-)
> *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
> On 11/19/2012 3:23 PM, a2 - inoperative emessages wrote:
> > call it $5 per kilo - sounds reasonable to me to move a fragile, hazardous cargo, uncrated. if it is crated and cleaned of fuel, oil, acid, asbestos etc (to avoid hazardous rating) then maybe it would go groupage? but then you have to move it crated to port.
> >
> > you are better off selling it then - I'll have the engine
> >
> > A2
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], Simon Tetlow <simon.tetlow@> wrote:
> >> Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
> >> back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to
> >> collect.
> >>

> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.
> >

> > Post message: [hidden email]
> > Subscribe:  [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
> > List owner:  [hidden email]
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links

> Do you have a slow PC? Try Free scan
> http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

Re: Transatlantic shipping

Don Simon

No, BRG, '93 and totally immaculate.  Now you're trying to get it offa me I'm determined more than ever to ship it, $1200 or no LOL!
Anyways, I just faxed Hinckley and suggested they include it with their next US export lading.
But.....if you fancy some touring in TX and beyond, how's about you sailing with the bike to say Savannah GA or Galveston TX and riding it on down to San Antonio.  I can put you up and we'll do say LA via New Mexico and Utah/Nevada, or better still we'll ride on down to San Miguel, Mexico where I'll introduce you to our thriving MotoPhysco Club there? Trouble is, you'd probably get to Southampton then turn around.....

--- In [hidden email], "a2 - inoperative emessages" <adeux60@...> wrote:

> Don't temp me....is it that the merlot sunrise colour.....On the last models? Does the engine purrrr.....   Oh no
>

> You need a 1200 for Texas in any event - we don't let the 900's leave these shores now.....
>
> A2

Re: Transatlantic shipping

Bud Izen
Years ago, I was in London and bought a '79 Bonneville. To minimize
shipping costs, the dealer (Neasdon's, wonder if they are still in
business?) put me in touch with a shipper (it's been 25 years, no I
don't recall the name) who specialized in splitting the cost of a
container among people who had something to ship, but could not justify
the cost of an entire container. It took a bit longer to get the bike,
as the shipper must needs wait until a container was filled, but it
saved a lot of money, and the bike arrived in excellent condition -
crated up by the dealer.

With a little research, I bet one could find a shipper who might still
be willing to do that. Just a friendly suggestion.

Bud Izen
'99 Platinum 900
Eugene OR

Re: Transatlantic shipping

greg95ns
Hi Simon, Ouch on the shipping costs. You could probably buy a '95 or '96 Trophy for $2000. Of course it won't be a beauty like yours. Leave yours with a friend in the U.K. that way when you go back for a visit you'll have your bike to ride. Don't sell it. It won't go down in value anymore. They didn't import them into the US until '95.
Greg

--- In [hidden email], Simon Tetlow <simon.tetlow@...> wrote:

> Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
> back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to
> collect.

Re: Transatlantic shipping

garyviggars
Bud
 That would be Slocombes in Neasdon.Been there for over 80 years.
A family firm selling yamaha and Moto Guzzi and assorted small bikes.
Good firm I used to work for them.
Regards Gary
UK 2001 1200

--- In [hidden email], Bud Izen <budizen@...> wrote:

> Years ago, I was in London and bought a '79 Bonneville. To minimize
> shipping costs, the dealer (Neasdon's, wonder if they are still in
> business?) put me in touch with a shipper (it's been 25 years, no I
> don't recall the name) who specialized in splitting the cost of a
> container among people who had something to ship, but could not justify
> the cost of an entire container. It took a bit longer to get the bike,
> as the shipper must needs wait until a container was filled, but it
> saved a lot of money, and the bike arrived in excellent condition -
> crated up by the dealer.
>
> With a little research, I bet one could find a shipper who might still
> be willing to do that. Just a friendly suggestion.
>
> Bud Izen
> '99 Platinum 900
> Eugene OR

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60
lol yep if she purrs - you have lost her! I would love to take up your offer too but I doubt you would let the criminal motorcyclist types into your country.

A2

--- In [hidden email], "Don Simon" <simon.tetlow@...> wrote:

> No, BRG, '93 and totally immaculate.  Now you're trying to get it offa me I'm determined more than ever to ship it, $1200 or no LOL!
> Anyways, I just faxed Hinckley and suggested they include it with their next US export lading.
> But.....if you fancy some touring in TX and beyond, how's about you sailing with the bike to say Savannah GA or Galveston TX and riding it on down to San Antonio.  I can put you up and we'll do say LA via New Mexico and Utah/Nevada, or better still we'll ride on down to San Miguel, Mexico where I'll introduce you to our thriving MotoPhysco Club there? Trouble is, you'd probably get to Southampton then turn around.....
>
> --- In [hidden email], "a2 - inoperative emessages" <adeux60@> wrote:
> >

> > Don't temp me....is it that the merlot sunrise colour.....On the last models? Does the engine purrrr.....   Oh no
> >

> > You need a 1200 for Texas in any event - we don't let the 900's leave these shores now.....
> >
> > A2

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60
yep you can leave it at mine!....

--- In [hidden email], "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

> Hi Simon, Ouch on the shipping costs. You could probably buy a '95 or '96 Trophy for $2000. Of course it won't be a beauty like yours. Leave yours with a friend in the U.K. that way when you go back for a visit you'll have your bike to ride. Don't sell it. It won't go down in value anymore. They didn't import them into the US until '95.
> Greg
>
> --- In [hidden email], Simon Tetlow <simon.tetlow@> wrote:
> >
> > Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
> > back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to
> > collect.

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60
or look for groupage deals - a container to usa used to cost me about £1000 - so it must be do-able.

--- In [hidden email], Bud Izen <budizen@...> wrote:

> Years ago, I was in London and bought a '79 Bonneville. To minimize
> shipping costs, the dealer (Neasdon's, wonder if they are still in
> business?) put me in touch with a shipper (it's been 25 years, no I
> don't recall the name) who specialized in splitting the cost of a
> container among people who had something to ship, but could not justify
> the cost of an entire container. It took a bit longer to get the bike,
> as the shipper must needs wait until a container was filled, but it
> saved a lot of money, and the bike arrived in excellent condition -
> crated up by the dealer.
>
> With a little research, I bet one could find a shipper who might still
> be willing to do that. Just a friendly suggestion.
>
> Bud Izen
> '99 Platinum 900
> Eugene OR

Re: Transatlantic shipping

adeux60
I am getting wayward again

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/1299stuart/m.html?item=160926200191&fromMakeTrack=true&ViewItem=&ssPageName=VIP%3Awatchlink%3Atop%3Aen&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

(my 3rd bike 80k)

or maybe a tiger?

A2

> [...]

A2

--- In [hidden email], Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

> In my opinion it would be more cost effective to just give the whole
> bike to A2 and buy another one stateside! O:-)
> *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
> On 11/19/2012 3:23 PM, a2 - inoperative emessages wrote:
> > call it $5 per kilo - sounds reasonable to me to move a fragile, hazardous cargo, uncrated. if it is crated and cleaned of fuel, oil, acid, asbestos etc (to avoid hazardous rating) then maybe it would go groupage? but then you have to move it crated to port.
> >
> > you are better off selling it then - I'll have the engine
> >
> > A2
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], Simon Tetlow <simon.tetlow@> wrote:
> >> Like US$1200 and upwards, and that is port-to-port only so I have to get
> >> back to UK, ride to Southampton, then get myself to Galveston, TX to

Thanks Gary -

Yes, I sit corrected, it was indeed Slocombe's. Good to know they are
still there. I bought two bikes from them - a 1976 Yamaha XS750 triple
(my second triple) and the aforementioned '79 Bonnie. Nice people.

Bud Izen
'99 Platinum 900
Eugene OR

Re: Transatlantic shipping

gordon.smith29
Hi Bud,

Happy Thanksgiving!

How come you spent so much time in the UK?

I remember the '76 XS750 - a bike that should have been made by Triumph if they had had their 'smart pants' on!
Tasked with running one in for a friend whilst he was abroad flying a Vulcan, some people never get their priorities right!

Cheers
Gordon
2xBBB
Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

--- In [hidden email], Bud Izen <budizen@...> wrote:

> Thanks Gary -
>
> Yes, I sit corrected, it was indeed Slocombe's. Good to know they are
> still there. I bought two bikes from them - a 1976 Yamaha XS750 triple
> (my second triple) and the aforementioned '79 Bonnie. Nice people.
>
> Bud Izen
> '99 Platinum 900
> Eugene OR

Re: Transatlantic shipping

John Barrett

Hi,Gordon and Bud, I too remember the XS750 tho not for anything good unfortunately! Mine was bought in 83 as a good looking but quite used bike from a local dealer who no longer trades. Rode her home but not happy with clonky gearbox so took her back to be told its normal for them. 23 years old and believed the man, so off I went. 3days later had a flat battery so charged up off the bike and all seemed well. 5days later flat battery so off to shop who diagnosed blown reg/rec. 2weeks later got her back only now lights are very dim but charging ok. Back in and told the earths were bad so get her back a few days later and all seems well. A month later after a hard 200mile thrash I smell a hot smell and notice the right pipe is cherry red, well straight to the shop who diagnose a blocked carb jet so, after the now usual couple days get her back but she seems to have lost her edge a little. The gear change is worse I felt as well, so back in to be told there is nothing wrong with the bike and just ride it. Well on the way to work the very next day, the gearbox became quite sticky and eventually I couldnt select 4th or fifth so rang the dealer who came and picked it up and said he would ring when it was fixed. 2weeks later I phoned him to be told that the bike was nearly ready and it was a clutch issue, I was concerned now so called in to the shop as I knew the owner would be out and saw the mechanic who showed me my bike, engine less with bits all over the workbench which were the internals of my engine. Gearbox had failed, and a burnt valve, the owner was picking up a blown engine and was going to attempt to make one good one out of the two. I phoned later when I had calmed down, to be told that the clutch was nearly done and should be ready tomorrow, so I casually asked "on which engine that would be" Deadly silence then an offer to give me my money back plus £50 which I accepted. It was a shame as when the bike was running well I really liked her, but I believe she had been clocked and poorly serviced and I had already lost faith in the dealer, a theme that was to become oh so familiar over the years. Jubba 92 1200

Re: Re: Transatlantic shipping

rod999_5@yahoo.co.uk
I've still got my xs750 1979 v reg and a spare parts one too:-) love it
Rod

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android