Too Fast

Ken Hastie

I am indebted to my good friend, and fellow bike rider Henk Fink in Holland for
reminding us of the idiots we have to face on our roads during the "silly season" of
summer.  I personally prefer to ride my bikes when the idiots are not out there, but it
isn't always possible.  I see them all the time. mind you.

It's a sobering file to access, but hell, if it does anything to improve road safety, then
so much the better.

http://www.hastie.org.uk/bikes/toofast.pps

Ken the Geordie

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Too Fast

Eoin Kirwan
On Monday 26 December 2005 18:31, Ken Hastie wrote:

> It's a sobering file to access, but hell, if it does anything to improve
> road safety, then so much the better.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) that picture isn't quite what the text says it
is!

- The motorcycle pictured (VFR400?) is not capable of the speed quoted, even a
VFR 750 would only just make it (need a couple of miles of run-up, that's a
very long time for a new rider to hold the throttle wide open without
chickening out!)
- Extremely unlikely that a new rider would do this. 30mph is terrifying for a
new rider.
- Plastics still on bike after it supposedly went THROUGH car door?
- Car would have been cut open to remove bodies
- It's inconceivable that the actual car or bike would have been used, due to
sensitivity towards the victims' families (not to mention the cleanup
required.)
- In true "internet urban legend" style, the details vary - I've seen the same
pictures attributed to Belgium not Sweden, and the speed changed to 170 or
180 mph!

Of course that's not to say that a real incident similar to this didn't occur.
I just find it strange that someone would go to such lengths to re-create it.
The internet being the internet, it gets various details added and circulated,
getting more and more "embellished" along the way. I know you didn't do this
Ken and sent it to us in good faith, but unfortunately the 'facts' on most
stories circulating on the internet are often pretty suspect!

Assuming that it was created with a road safety message in mind, is the
message "Motorcyclists - Slow down" (to below 155mph anyway!?) or is it
"Drivers - Don't pull out, that bike could be going faster than you
think..."  ?

What's not helpful is that it reinforces the "motorcycles are dangerous" and
the "motorcyclists are reckless" stereotypes, and ignores the run-of-the-mill
"Sorry mate didn't see you" incidents which kill or injure many careful
law-abiding riders every day.

As I'm recovering from one of those at the moment it's a bit of a sore point
for me :)

Have a happy and safe new year everyone!

Eoin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

On 26 Dec 2005 at 19:47, Eoin Kirwan wrote:

> What's not helpful is that it reinforces the "motorcycles are
> dangerous" and the "motorcyclists are reckless" stereotypes

<snip>

All your points are indeed good and valid ones.  However, when I ride across the
Hartside Cafe road (near Alston, Cumbria) or perhaps the Helmsley (Cleveland)
road, the bikes that pass me near to, or even ON dangerous bends, or approach me
head-on because they misjudged the bend they just sped around showing off to their
mates, it is no wonder the general public do indeed view all motorcylists as reckless.

Too many of them are in my opinion.

More than two a month killed on those roads in 2005, which means a heck of a lot
more 'just' got injured, or had lucky escapes.

Ken the Geordie

Ken Hastie                       [hidden email]

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

On Monday 26 December 2005 20:33, Ken Hastie wrote:

> All your points are indeed good and valid ones.  However, when I ride
> across the Hartside Cafe road (near Alston, Cumbria) or perhaps the
> Helmsley (Cleveland) road, the bikes that pass me near to, or even ON
> dangerous bends, or approach me head-on because they misjudged the bend
> they just sped around showing off to their mates, it is no wonder the
> general public do indeed view all motorcylists as reckless.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemy :(

But you have idiots within every population. Some of the craziest behaviour of
all that I see on the roads is from pedestrians and cyclists (the pedal
powered variety)

IMHO all driving licences should be harder to get and require effort to hold
on to! We test vehicles for safety every year or two but the driver or rider
gets tested only once...

Eoin.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]