Throttle Problem Resolved.....

Bud Izen
Back in June of 2015, I had my last back surgery, which was successful
and I have been fine ever since. Unfortunately, it had been a while
since my last ride, so the bike had been sitting before I went in, then
it had about six more months to sit around while I recovered. For some
unknown reason, I totally forgot to either drain the tank or pour in
some Stabil. So, after almost 10 months of sitting around, guess what -
gummed up carbs. I took them off, cleaned everything I could think of
but could not figure out a safe way to get the crud out of the small
aperatures. So, I took the carbs to the local dealer, whom I trust
absolutely. They charged me a minimum amount of money to thoroughly
clean them out (Cycle Parts, Eugene Oregon). Then I of course
reinstalled them and I believe my throttle problem started from there.

Well, after straining my brain trying to figure out why the butterflies
weren't opening all the way, I was going into town anyway, so I put the
carbs in the car and drove to Cycle Parts. I didn't even have to talk to
a tech. When I showed Rod (the owner) what I had, he took an
embarrassingly quick look and found my problem in less than a minute.
When I used to work on electronic equipment, I was fond of calling this
type of thing a technician-created problem. Turns out, when I
reinstalled the carbs, I incorrectly ran one of the drain tubes. Instead
of exiting away from the throttle area, I ran it between the throttle
area and one of the cross-braces. After driving it for a while, the
drain hose (or whatever it is called) moved just enough to interfere
with the full range of the throttle. All I had to do was to move the
hose back where it belonged, and voila, problem solved.

Like most of you, I sure hate to be the cause of my own difficulties,
but I have no one else to blame in this case. I have taken the carbs on
and off the bike at least a half dozen times, so it isn't like I didn't
know how to do it. I just missed that one hose route, and that was all
it took. Anyway, I am very glad that the problem was easy to solve and
wasn't caused by wear and tear, something aging or broken. The bike
remains as reliable as anything I have ever owned, and more reliable
than many bikes I have dealt with.

Thanks again for everyone who made suggestions, and especially for those
of you who verified that the butterflies should indeed open flat
(perpendicular to the ground) at WOT. That piece of knowledge enabled me
to focus in on the source of the problem. I am also thankful to Rod for
operating a great customer-oriented business and for being so
knowledgeable and willing to help riders like me who are in distress.

Bud Izen

'99 Platinum 900

Springfield Oregon

---

RE: Throttle Problem Resolved.....

JohnM
Great result Bud.
In the years of system fault diagnosis in aircraft etc. I have come to a number of conclusions.
One of them is, the longer it takes to find a problem, the simpler the problem will be. In other words, it is sitting right under your nose but you can’t see it.
One of the other ones is, if it looks like it, tastes like it and smells like it…it usually is… NO MATTER HOW UNLIKELY!!
Hence I am still kicking myself for putting up with hesitation and missing for 6 Months because I couldn’t believe I had TWO faulty coils that were brand new.

Enjoy the bike!
JohnM