Tachometer connector [1 Attachment]

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi folks,

 I know some of you folks have removed your tachs and dash panels. I am trying to get the dash panel out, but can't unplug the tach. I have depressed the tab on the back/bottom of the plug, but it won't come out. I don't want to force anything. Any ideas?

 Thanks,
 Glenn

Re: Tachometer connector

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Glenn,

 It should be just squeeze and pull - has been when I've taken mine off.
 Might be that the Tach' mounting nuts might need to be undone a touch as the Mounting Frame cross member might be bearing against the Connector Body.

 Can I ask why are you removing the Tach ?

 Cheers
 Gordon3xBBB
 Stroud, Gloucestershire. U.K.

Re: Tachometer connector

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Gordon,

 Thanks! Yes, it may well be the crossmember. I'll loosen that and give it a go.

 As for why - well, some bonehead didn't fully tighten the master cylinder cap after the bleeding/topping up process when he put new calipers on . Then that bonehead quickly sprayed some brake cleaner and hosed it off with water. Just that quick, the grey plastic panels got stained/bleached including the dash panel.

 Anyway, that bonehead (yeah, it's me!  ) has since been replacing those panels. Along the way I got a brand new old stock km/h speedometer to replace my original mph unit. Mileage is now 61,333 miles / 99,000 kms, so the new odometer starting at 00,000 works out OK. So, while it is apart for that, I am going to put in some LED instrument & warning bulbs and repaint the dash panel.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

 "Hi Glenn,

 It should be just squeeze and pull - has been when I've taken mine off.
 Might be that the Tach' mounting nuts might need to be undone a touch as the Mounting Frame cross member might be bearing against the Connector Body.

 Can I ask why are you removing the Tach ?

 Cheers
 Gordon3xBBB"

Re: Tachometer connector

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Glen
For future reference brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it is soluble in water.
The best thing to do is douse the area of the spill with water and no harm is done to plastics or anything else and it gets rid of all the brake fluid.
Brake cleaning fluid has a lot of very nasty stuff which eats plastics and paint.
JohnM

Re: Tachometer connector

Hi Glenn,

 Oops ! (from one Bonehead to another....we've all done it, at least once ;-) )

 Good thing to replace Instrument and Warning Lights with LEDs whilst you're in there....but one thing to Note. The Hi-Coolant Temp Warning Lamp might not work with an LED (also LEDs are polarity sensitive) so best to put a new (i.e. normal) Incandescent Filament bulb in that one to be on the Safe side..

 Same applies to anyone with a MkI (Single Headlight) Trophy with the Low-Fuel Level Warning Light....if anybody else is doing this Minor Upgrade.

 Cheers,
 Gordon3xBBB
 Stroud, Gloucestershire. U.K.

Re: Tachometer connector

Glen
 For future reference, the best way to get rid of spilt brake fluid is simply wash it off with water. It's based on alcohol and water will wash it away and not damage the plastic or paint.

 Brake cleaning fluid will strip and affect just about anything plastic.

 JohnM

Re: Tachometer connector

Hi Gordon and John,

 Thanks for the tip about the coolant tip light. I suspect most would not realize that. I only saw one reference to it before (in an eBay UK auction for LED bulbs), but surely most would blissfully replace all bulbs and wonder why their engine was instantly overheated after!

 John, yes, quite right. I had a momentary lapse of reason! The can of brake cleaner was right there at hand having shortly before finished bleeding. Le$$on well learned!

 I will have both side dash panels available if somebody wants to paint them (left one has a weatherproof 12v power outlet. Perfect condition other that a few stains.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Re: Tachometer connector

Yes, thanks John.

 There is a silver lining. In addition to creating the perfect opportunity to install all new LED instrument and warning light bulbs, I also painted the dash, upper fascia panels (behind the windshield) and triple tree cover a really nice charcoal grey. They turned out fantastic. As an added bonus I get to put in a new side fascia panel with the new power/USB outlet/voltmeter combo and driving light switch installed the way I want them. I'll try to get a good picture after it's back together.

 Cheers,
 Glenn