Starter button on right control

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I'm almost done changing a BRG Trophy into a 1200 naked bike. '95 Trophy instrument cluster, Thunderbird headlight, repositioned  the oil cooler to show off the polished headers, Dunstall megaphones, Super 3 pistons. All the indicator lights work, neutral, side stand, oil pressure, turn signals. Carbs are cleaned and full of fuel. Let's turn the ignition on and press the starter button. I get nothing, no click, nothing.
 I take off the right control off and I hear something loose inside the control. I take the starter button apart and a spring falls on the floor. I pick up the spring to see how the thing works.There is an insulated contact, a spring and the plastic tab to press. What else am I missing? Is there a metal piece that goes with the spring?

 I bypass the starter button and the engine cranks over, no start. The coils are getting 11 volts. Time for a Johnson Jolt to be installed. It could be a bad crank position sensor, bad ECU, or the Sprint harness I'm using. Anybody got a spare '95 1200 wiring harness? There is a '95 Trophy harness on Ebay but I don't want to pay $100 plus shipping.

  Greg Andrews
 '96 900 BRG
 '98 Sprint Sport

Re: Starter button on right control

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Greg,
   Are you talking about the rt hand switch-gear?  I have the old one off my bike.

jack

> On Nov 18, 2016, at 8:01 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I'm almost done changing a BRG Trophy into a 1200 naked bike. '95 Trophy instrument cluster, Thunderbird headlight, repositioned  the oil cooler to show off the polished headers, Dunstall megaphones, Super 3 pistons. All the indicator lights work, neutral, side stand, oil pressure, turn signals. Carbs are cleaned and full of fuel. Let's turn the ignition on and press the starter button. I get nothing, no click, nothing.
>
> I take off the right control off and I hear something loose inside the control. I take the starter button apart and a spring falls on the floor. I pick up the spring to see how the thing works.There is an insulated contact, a spring and the plastic tab to press. What else am I missing? Is there a metal piece that goes with the spring?
>

> I bypass the starter button and the engine cranks over, no start. The coils are getting 11 volts. Time for a Johnson Jolt to be installed. It could be a bad crank position sensor, bad ECU, or the Sprint harness I'm using. Anybody got a spare '95 1200 wiring harness? There is a '95 Trophy harness on Ebay but I don't want to pay $100 plus shipping.
>

>  Greg Andrews
>
> '96 900 BRG
>
> '98 Sprint Sport

Re: Starter button on right control

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Greg,

I forget which wire off the ignitor it is. But one of them is used as a
ground point for the entire safety loop. Check it with a meter and make
sure its not grounded. If it is the ignitor will not trigger the coils. 11v
should be sufficient when cranking to light her off. More is always better
but that should at least fire her up.

Best,
Samuel
On Nov 18, 2016 3:43 PM, "Jack Byers [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>    Are you talking about the rt hand switch-gear?  I have the old one off
> my bike.
>
> jack
>

> On Nov 18, 2016, at 8:01 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I'm almost done changing a BRG Trophy into a 1200 naked bike. '95 Trophy
> instrument cluster, Thunderbird headlight, repositioned  the oil cooler to
> show off the polished headers, Dunstall megaphones, Super 3 pistons. All
> the indicator lights work, neutral, side stand, oil pressure, turn signals.
> Carbs are cleaned and full of fuel. Let's turn the ignition on and press
> the starter button. I get nothing, no click, nothing.
>
> I take off the right control off and I hear something loose inside the
> control. I take the starter button apart and a spring falls on the floor. I
> pick up the spring to see how the thing works.There is an insulated
> contact, a spring and the plastic tab to press. What else am I missing? Is
> there a metal piece that goes with the spring?
>

> I bypass the starter button and the engine cranks over, no start. The
> coils are getting 11 volts. Time for a Johnson Jolt to be installed. It
> could be a bad crank position sensor, bad ECU, or the Sprint harness I'm
> using. Anybody got a spare '95 1200 wiring harness? There is a '95 Trophy
> harness on Ebay but I don't want to pay $100 plus shipping.
>

>  Greg Andrews
>
> '96 900 BRG
>
> '98 Sprint Sport

Re: Starter button on right control

Hi Jack, Yes  it's the right hand switch gear. I sent a regular email.

Re: Starter button on right control

Hi Dave, My regular emails aren't going thru to you. Yes, I want to buy the Daytona harness. I sent money thru Paypal. Did you get it?

 Update on the Frankenstein I'm building. I fixed the right hand control start button. I used a very short machine screw under the spring to make the contact.
 I got lucky and the right hand control unit I'm using is the European kind, so can shut off the headlights.
 When activating the starter motor the voltage to the coils is 9.9-10.2  No wonder I got no spark.
 Time to hook up the Johnson Jolt. A Centech AP-1 auxiliary fuse box is on order.