Some advice needed

Viper57
Hi everyone

My '98 trophy 1200 has just over 100,000 miles ( 164,000 km). I know the service history of the bike , its had full synthetic oil changes as scheduled, every 10,000km, as well as oil filters etc so maintenance is not the problem.

My question is this - should I replace the cam chain? My son ( who is a diesel mechanic) said that I should change it as part of 'preventative maintenance' whether it needs changing or not. My issue is that there is no noise coming from the top end, no rattles or ticking noises.The adjuster is only two clicks from the new setting.

Am I just being cheap in not changing the cam chain?  Any and all  advice gratefully received

Cheers
Gary

Re: Some advice needed

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Gary, I tend to agree with your son. My brother would get 100 K before changing the cam chain. I did mine at 70K. I usually go by how many clicks are left of the cam chain adjuster. There is a total of about 20. A new chain will click use 9 or 10 clicks. When I changed mine at 70 K the adjuster was out to 15 clicks. My brother's bike was at 20 clicks. 2 clicks from new would be about 12 clicks. Are you sure about this? Did you take off the spring bolt first and then the adjuster to visually count the clicks? Someone on this group figured out how much the cam timing would be retarded with a worn cam chain. I think it was 4 degrees.

 Greg Andrews
 96 900 BRG 107,000 smiles
 98 Sprint 27,000 miles and up for sale
 96 1200 Trident recently created

Re: Some advice needed

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hey Gary,

I also agree as well. Just make sure you get the right one. The first one
they sent me was too long. The gears are also a consideration. I did not
replace any of mine but had low mileage at the time. The cam gears were
perfect. The crank gear showed only minor wear. So you might consider
replacing the crank gear as well.

Best,
Samuel