Seal

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Fellas,

Happy spring! I was surfing ebay the other day and much to my surprise
stumbled across this item from Sprint in the UK. I have yet to even remove
that left engine cover. But this looks like it may be of major importance
to us all. Perhaps it could even be the reason for the oily airboxes. And
even the the slight smoke production I now have from the exhaust.
Nevertheless has anyone replaced this seal before? I'm just wondering how
much trouble it is to replace.

Enjoy the ride!

Samuel

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Trophy-1200-Carburettor-Model-Rotary-Breather-Seal-/291486998500?hash=item43ddfa9fe4%3Ag%3A4FQAAOSwl8NVdVRR&_trkparms=pageci%253A8c47b132-f113-11e6-8591-74dbd180bf67%257Cparentrq%253A320245b115a0a787022c2aeafff9772a%257Ciid%253A23

Re: Seal

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Samuel, I replaced mine but only because I powder coated the cover and if left the seal collapses if not supported in the centre. When you get a new one you remove cover hook out old seal and press the new one in. Socket and light taps with a hammer. It comes with a plastic centre for support. When you remove that you have 15 minutes to replace cover without the seal collapsing and getting damaged on the rotating part.

Nigel
99 BBBB Nw U.K.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 18 Feb 2017, at 17:19, Samuel Crider [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Fellas,
>

> Happy spring! I was surfing ebay the other day and much to my surprise stumbled across this item from Sprint in the UK. I have yet to even remove that left engine cover. But this looks like it may be of major importance to us all. Perhaps it could even be the reason for the oily airboxes. And even the the slight smoke production I now have from the exhaust. Nevertheless has anyone replaced this seal before? I'm just wondering how much trouble it is to replace.
>
> Enjoy the ride!
>
> Samuel
>
> http://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Trophy-1200-Carburettor-Model-Rotary-Breather-Seal-/291486998500?hash=item43ddfa9fe4%3Ag%3A4FQAAOSwl8NVdVRR&_trkparms=pageci%253A8c47b132-f113-11e6-8591-74dbd180bf67%257Cparentrq%253A320245b115a0a787022c2aeafff9772a%257Ciid%253A23

Re: Seal

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hey Nigel,

Thanks for the informative reply. I'm assuming the seal is in the cover at
the base of the breather hose. I will have to check out the service manual
when I get back to the house. So just removing the cover for over 15
minutes can cause the seal to collapse and fail. Gee I'm glad I have yet to
remove that cover. Is there a standard replacement interval for these? Or
do you just wait till you notice airbox oiling.

Samuel
On Feb 18, 2017 6:15 PM, "Nigel Keating [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Samuel, I replaced mine but only because I powder coated the cover and
> if left the seal collapses if not supported in the centre. When you get a
> new one you remove cover hook out old seal and press the new one in. Socket
> and light taps with a hammer. It comes with a plastic centre for support.
> When you remove that you have 15 minutes to replace cover without the seal
> collapsing and getting damaged on the rotating part.
>
> Nigel
> 99 BBBB Nw U.K.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 18 Feb 2017, at 17:19, Samuel Crider [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Fellas,
>
> Happy spring! I was surfing ebay the other day and much to my surprise
> stumbled across this item from Sprint in the UK. I have yet to even remove
> that left engine cover. But this looks like it may be of major importance
> to us all. Perhaps it could even be the reason for the oily airboxes. And
> even the the slight smoke production I now have from the exhaust.
> Nevertheless has anyone replaced this seal before? I'm just wondering how
> much trouble it is to replace.
>
> Enjoy the ride!
>
> Samuel
>
> http://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Trophy-1200-Carburettor-Model-
> Rotary-Breather-Seal-/291486998500?hash=item43ddfa9fe4%3Ag%
> 3A4FQAAOSwl8NVdVRR&_trkparms=pageci%253A8c47b132-f113-11e6-
> 8591-74dbd180bf67%257Cparentrq%253A320245b115a0a787022c2aeaff
> f9772a%257Ciid%253A23

Re: Seal

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Samuel, in the manual it just says to put a mandrel in when you take it out to keep its shape. It does warn of the consequences of when it fails but doesn't mention a service interval. It is the cover connected to the breather tube. When it collapses you have difficulty replacing the cover without damaging the seal
Nigel

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Feb 2017, at 05:03, Samuel Crider [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Nigel,
>
> Thanks for the informative reply. I'm assuming the seal is in the cover at the base of the breather hose. I will have to check out the service manual when I get back to the house. So just removing the cover for over 15 minutes can cause the seal to collapse and fail. Gee I'm glad I have yet to remove that cover. Is there a standard replacement interval for these? Or do you just wait till you notice airbox oiling.
>
> Samuel
>> On Feb 18, 2017 6:15 PM, "Nigel Keating [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Samuel, I replaced mine but only because I powder coated the cover and if left the seal collapses if not supported in the centre. When you get a new one you remove cover hook out old seal and press the new one in. Socket and light taps with a hammer. It comes with a plastic centre for support. When you remove that you have 15 minutes to replace cover without the seal collapsing and getting damaged on the rotating part.
>>
>> Nigel
>> 99 BBBB Nw U.K.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 18 Feb 2017, at 17:19, Samuel Crider [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Fellas,
>>>

>>> Happy spring! I was surfing ebay the other day and much to my surprise stumbled across this item from Sprint in the UK. I have yet to even remove that left engine cover. But this looks like it may be of major importance to us all. Perhaps it could even be the reason for the oily airboxes. And even the the slight smoke production I now have from the exhaust. Nevertheless has anyone replaced this seal before? I'm just wondering how much trouble it is to replace.
>>>
>>> Enjoy the ride!
>>>
>>> Samuel
>>>
>>> http://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Trophy-1200-Carburettor-Model-Rotary-Breather-Seal-/291486998500?hash=item43ddfa9fe4%3Ag%3A4FQAAOSwl8NVdVRR&_trkparms=pageci%253A8c47b132-f113-11e6-8591-74dbd180bf67%257Cparentrq%253A320245b115a0a787022c2aeafff9772a%257Ciid%253A23

Re: Seal

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the information. I doubt the manual is any where near as clear
as your description.

Samuel
On Feb 20, 2017 4:27 AM, "Nigel Keating [hidden email]