Rear Shock

123

Rear Shock

wickedstuff
ive done a quick search on the forum of this topic but couldnt see any answers, but thats not to say i didnt look hard enough.

 what id like to know but i havent done any measuring or research myself yet. Does a shock off a big Jap bike fit a Mk2 Trophy, i have found in the past many shocks can be swapped around on bikes and it wouldnt surprise me if some thing off a late model big jap bike fitted, those shocks sell cheaply on ebay and some times you can get ohlins shocks (used) for those jap bikes as well, which means you can swap it onto some thing else.

 has anybody take time out to measure and play around.
 thanks.

Re: Rear Shock

Jack Byers
Hi Angus,
     I've been in this group since close to it's Master Ken got it
going, and there hasn't been a lot of talk about using good name
brand shocks out of a "spares breaker", but I'll bet you are right. I
thought I needed to replace or rebuild my rear shock, but make it
heavier duty somehow. Guys here have talked about rebuilding despite
the word that these aren't rebuildable.  My plan was to take her back
to RaceTech for the job. I hadn't thought of all the high dollar
aftermarket shocks off wrecked "tricked-out" street bikes off other
marquis! When I had RaceTech do their full treatment on my front end,
it changed how the rear worked, much for the better. I've only 35K on
the "Old Girl", and didn't think the rear shock should have gone bad
at 25K (when I did the forks). I was pleasantly surprised when I rode
out of the RaceTech parking lot down in Corona, Ca., because the rear
didn't  bump bottom like it had for so long. The preset was at only
about half max load setting, and I still had plenty of travel. Now I
have to hit a deep dip in the road going at a good clip to make her
"bump", and the handling of the bike overall got way better, if for
no other reason than losing the front end dive, which could result in
rear wheel lift under panic stop braking. That alone made for a much
better handling  in the twisties, and in city traffic. I went with
the one Kilo single rate RaceTech springs. I've always thought either
triple rate, or progressive rate springs were the way to a better
ride, and for a regular touring bike it might be so, but the guys at
the shop in Corona, CA., convinced me otherwise. Now I realize that
the multi-rate springs are a bit smoother out on the highway where
one need not create the bottoming load brought on by race conditions.
On the track, I'm more concerned with that load going into a turn so
much faster than street riding that you will want the stronger single
rate springs, that offer up more resistance to collapse to prevent
bottoming from the first bit of the load transfer from back
(acceleration) to the front (deceleration). I must admit, that from
the Corona shop to my home in Buena Park, I thought I might have made
a mistake with using their strongest (1-kg) set of springs, but at
the time I weighed about 280 lbs, and felt I had to get the front end
dive down. I could feel every bump in the road coming home. Then over
the next couple months of riding faster and smoother than ever thru
our local canyon roads, the front end just kept getting better. I
suppose the whole kit they put in had to nest in for a few hundred
miles, because one day drumming down the freeway I noticed that I was
no longer getting the road vibrations that bothered me on that first
ride home. Now I've got about 6k miles on the set-up, and I couldn't
be happier with my ride. I will have to do something about that rear
suspension at some point, as shocks do wear-out. When I do I'll look
into a used aftermarket shock for sure. Please let us know of your
progress?
  Kindest regards,
    Poppa Jack.
P.S. Happy New Year Friends!"
On Dec 30, 2013, at 9:11 PM, <[hidden email]>
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ive done a quick search on the forum of this topic but couldnt see
> any answers, but thats not to say i didnt look hard enough.
>

> what id like to know but i havent done any measuring or research
> myself yet. Does a shock off a big Jap bike fit a Mk2 Trophy, i
> have found in the past many shocks can be swapped around on bikes
> and it wouldnt surprise me if some thing off a late model big jap
> bike fitted, those shocks sell cheaply on ebay and some times you
> can get ohlins shocks (used) for those jap bikes as well, which
> means you can swap it onto some thing else.
>
> has anybody take time out to measure and play around.
> thanks.

Re: Rear Shock

Samuel Crider
Hey Angus,

I've been wondering the same. To bad a web site doesn't exist that provides
cross data and detailed measurements. Heck, I can't even seem to confirm if
a 01 shock will fit my 96.

Best wishes,

Samuel
96 BBBB PB
New Orleans
On Dec 31, 2013 10:17 AM, "Jack Byers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  Kindest regards,
>    Poppa Jack.
> P.S. Happy New Year Friends!"
> On Dec 30, 2013, at 9:11 PM, <[hidden email]> <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> ive done a quick search on the forum of this topic but couldnt see any
> answers, but thats not to say i didnt look hard enough.
>

> what id like to know but i havent done any measuring or research myself
> yet. Does a shock off a big Jap bike fit a Mk2 Trophy, i have found in the
> past many shocks can be swapped around on bikes and it wouldnt surprise me
> if some thing off a late model big jap bike fitted, those shocks sell
> cheaply on ebay and some times you can get ohlins shocks (used) for those
> jap bikes as well, which means you can swap it onto some thing else.
>
> has anybody take time out to measure and play around.

Re: Rear Shock

Ed Johnson
Hey Sam; Great idea and I bet there is some software somewhere that the
breakers use to accomplish this. When visiting an auto junk yard they
seem to be able to not only cross the parts that will interchange but
also scan their "network" for another salvage yard that has what they
need if they don't have it.
*Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy 1200**
On 12/31/2013 12:01 PM, Samuel Crider wrote:

> Hey Angus,
>
> I've been wondering the same. To bad a web site doesn't exist that
> provides cross data and detailed measurements. Heck, I can't even seem
> to confirm if a 01 shock will fit my 96.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Samuel
> 96 BBBB PB
> New Orleans

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

Re: Rear Shock

Ed Johnson
     Come to think of it that's exactly what happened at the alternator
shop. He plugged the Denso number into his computer and rattled off all
the other pieces of equipment that used that same starter including an
Evinrude outboard motor! =-O
On 12/31/2013 12:41 PM, Ed Johnson wrote:

> Hey Sam; Great idea and I bet there is some software somewhere that
> the breakers use to accomplish this. When visiting an auto junk yard
> they seem to be able to not only cross the parts that will interchange
> but also scan their "network" for another salvage yard that has what
> they need if they don't have it.
> *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy 1200**
> On 12/31/2013 12:01 PM, Samuel Crider wrote:
>>
>> Hey Angus,
>>
>> I've been wondering the same. To bad a web site doesn't exist that
>> provides cross data and detailed measurements. Heck, I can't even
>> seem to confirm if a 01 shock will fit my 96.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Samuel
>> 96 BBBB PB
>> New Orleans

> Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan
> http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

---

Re: Rear Shock

Samuel Crider
Hi Ed,

Yes, that's a fine example of an alternator. About the nicest quality I've
seen. I inspected mine and all that was required was new cush rubbers and a
light internal cleaning and lube. She has top quality brushes. Along with a
stout TO-3 case regulator. Fwiw, what I did find was her starter was about
to cut loose. The brushes were bottomed out and just about to start arcing.
Plus she was a real mess of carbon black internally. Luckly, I had ordered
replacement brushes from the UK. The brushes were quite a chore to install.
If I ever rebuild another. I will just order the entire backing plate with
the new brush factory installed. So, if any one is bored and trapped in the
garage. Around 30kmi looks like a good point to service the starter. She's
been under the wrench now for longer than I can stand. But she should be
back on the road in a few days. Unless of course I have to dive into the
carbs. Nevertheless, lot's of drama along the way.....Wrong size timing
chain. Had to source valve shims twice. Snapped off a vacuum port on the
carb top. Just the usual encounters to keep it all interesting. Next will
be to finally sync the carbs. Hopefully, this will once and for all chase
off those pesty popping gremlins. In the mean time I've decided to
reinstall the stock exhaust cans. The d&d's are currently just crazy loud.
That combined with the gremlins is just drawing to much attention. The
future plan is to crack open the d&d's. Gut them and do a proper restuff
soon. I have accumulated two different types of wool. One stainless and one
copper. Whatever the outcome they surely can't get any louder.

Happy New Year!

Samuel
On Dec 31, 2013 12:00 PM, "Ed Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     Come to think of it that's exactly what happened at the alternator
> shop. He plugged the Denso number into his computer and rattled off all the
> other pieces of equipment that used that same starter including an Evinrude
> outboard motor! =-O
> *Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy 1200*
> On 12/31/2013 12:41 PM, Ed Johnson wrote:
>
> Hey Sam; Great idea and I bet there is some software somewhere that the
> breakers use to accomplish this. When visiting an auto junk yard they seem
> to be able to not only cross the parts that will interchange but also scan
> their "network" for another salvage yard that has what they need if they
> don't have it.
> *Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy 1200*
> On 12/31/2013 12:01 PM, Samuel Crider wrote:
>
> Hey Angus,
>
> I've been wondering the same. To bad a web site doesn't exist that
> provides cross data and detailed measurements. Heck, I can't even seem to
> confirm if a 01 shock will fit my 96.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Samuel
> 96 BBBB PB
> New Orleans

> Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan
> http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen
>

> ------------------------------
>
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus<http://www.avast.com/>protection is active.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus<http://www.avast.com/>protection is active.

RE: Rear Shock

adeux60
I fitted a 99-900 rear shock onto a 95-900 - no issue at all (one had the remote damper and the other didnt)
 A2

RE: Rear Shock

adeux60

RE: Rear Shock

adeux60
wot like this one?

 http://racetechelectric.com/i-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html http://racetechelectric.com/i-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html

 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=denso+alternator&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=T6R73Pc83gEcRM%3A%3BRCXTI_1D1K2_6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fimages%252FF80361045.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fi-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html%3B327%3B302 <a href="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=denso+alternator&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=T6R73Pc83gEcRM%3A%3BRCXTI_1D1K2_6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fimages%252FF80361045.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fi-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html%3B327%3B302https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=denso+alternator&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=T6R73Pc83gEcRM%3A%3BRCXTI_1D1K2_6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fimages%252FF80361045.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fi-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html%3B327%3B302">https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=denso+alternator&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=T6R73Pc83gEcRM%3A%3BRCXTI_1D1K2_6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fimages%252FF80361045.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fi-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html%3B327%3B302https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=denso+alternator&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=T6R73Pc83gEcRM%3A%3BRCXTI_1D1K2_6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fimages%252FF80361045.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fi-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html%3B327%3B302 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=denso+alternator&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=T6R73Pc83gEcRM%3A%3BRCXTI_1D1K2_6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fimages%252FF80361045.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fracetechelectric.com%252Fi-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html%3B327%3B302

RE: Rear Shock

Ed Johnson
More like this one:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=denso+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UFXDUsrKHMeqhQezrIDYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=926#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=nippondenso+101211-1611&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Bi4U3wQE46X0UM%3A%3B5zXY1LVTxTVOhM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi35.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fd200%252Fdaytonacharlie%252Fth_DSC03102.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.triumphrat.net%252Ft3-sport-touring-forum%252F132109-daytona-1200-trophy-1200-alternator.html%3B160%3B120

On 12/31/2013 6:43 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> wot like this one?
>

> http://racetechelectric.com/i-14286234-kawasaki-nippon-denso-alternator-and-components-zx900-ninja-900r-zx1000-ninja-zx10.html

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

RE: Rear Shock

Ed Johnson
No Triumph Motorcycles listed on the search engine.
On 12/31/2013 6:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> If only it was as easy as this?
>

> http://www.densoautoparts.com/find-my-part/vehicle-selection
>

> A2

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

RE: Rear Shock

Samuel Crider
Thanks A2,

I may pick one up from a breaker.

Samuel
On Dec 31, 2013 5:32 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I fitted a 99-900 rear shock onto a 95-900 - no issue at all (one had the
> remote damper and the other didnt)
>
> A2

Re: Rear Shock

wickedstuff
Hi Poppa Jack, thanks for the heads up and story. Sounds good. The easiest way for you being state side and so many big wreckers, is find one that has the same oem shock as your bike and take your take measure in and pen and paper and take draws and measurements, then ask if you can look through there rack of rear shocks, dont worry about bolt sizes too much you can bush and shim them out (ive done that many times before) but it makes life easier if the bolt size at each end of the shock is the same to start, the next thing centre eye to centre eye length, get that close as you can to another shock and your talking turkey! the spring means nothing as you can swap springs out if need be. In the past ive swapped different shocks around, but the nice way to go is once you know what bike the shock is off you want, you can ebay it and some times pick up an ohlins for that model secretly knowing it will fit your bike :-) ive done this before with race bikes and yeap it can be a tight fit and down to mm's measurements but it can be done with care and patients and results are very good, its basically the cheapest way of getting a high quality shock at the lowest possible as its produced for a more common Jap bike, mine rear shock is still on the bike so i cant take measurements yet, but i wanted to ask if some one has already done this swap thing, that was the reason for asking, anyway good luck if you get a lucky strike let us know and i will too. thanks.

Re: Rear Shock

rickh1001

--- In [hidden email], Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

> Hi Angus,
>      I've been in this group since close to it's Master Ken got it
> going, and there hasn't been a lot of talk about using good name
> brand shocks out of a "spares breaker", but I'll bet you are right...

Jack,

I put an Ohlins rear shock on my 2000 Trophy 900, after I had rebuilt the front forks, along with Ohlins 1 kg/mm front springs and a Gold Valve emulator.  It transformed the handling of the Trophy into a taunt racebike.  There is no better money spent on a bike than in improving its suspension.

I can't find the rear shock part number in my logbook, but can try to dig it out.  I know I pulled the rear shock a second time to change the spring from their original recommended 74/180 to a 64/160, which is still a bit stiff.

If you dig way back into the archives, you should find a flurry of posts with people putting Penske rear shocks on.  I recall someone posting tables of dimensions and cross-reference numbers years ago.

Ohlins no longer makes the 1 kg front springs, but they are easy to source from RaceTech or Progressive.  It takes some trial and error to get the spacers cut to produce the correct front static sag of about 50 mm (ignore RaceTech's recommendation of 25-30 mm).  I can try to dig up the Ohlins part number as well.  As I recall, it cost around $700, but was worth every penny. The Penske is equally and will cost about the same.

Re: Rear Shock

Ed Johnson
     Hey Sam; My guess is that popping is caused by the D&D's. My bike
was in perfect tune until I put on the D&D cans. I lost some bottom end
and acquired popping on deceleration.  I don't know what effect it had
on the top end as the bike will go way faster than my "Guardian Angel"
can fly! Some say that you have to re-jet the carbs for the reduced back
pressure but I can find as many so called gurus that claim the bike is
too lean as say it's too rich. The only way I know to be sure is a plug
chop or dyno and I can't afford either. Lucky for me I completed my set
of Stain tunes and the bike runs so great I'm leaving it alone. They are
quieter than I'd like but the performance can't be beat. The bike has
never run so good. I think you'll be surprised when you put the stock
cans back on. D&D didn't intend for their cans to be used on the street
in the beginning. They were designed to be race cans so noise wasn't an
issue but they have had so many complaints about them they have now
changed the packing material without affecting the performance. They
also offer a re-pack kit for $30-$40 and I saw some fiberglass muffler
packing on eBay for $15.
Regards

On 12/31/2013 4:41 PM, Samuel Crider wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
>   Next will be to finally sync the carbs. Hopefully, this will once
> and for all chase off those pesty popping gremlins. In the mean time
> I've decided to reinstall the stock exhaust cans. The d&d's are
> currently just crazy loud. That combined with the gremlins is just
> drawing to much attention. The future plan is to crack open the d&d's.
> Gut them and do a proper restuff soon. I have accumulated two
> different types of wool. One stainless and one copper. Whatever the
> outcome they surely can't get any louder.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Samuel

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

Re: Rear Shock

rickh1001

Hey guys, I found the paperwork from the Ohlins shock I purchased back around 03.

The Ohlins part number is "TR 601".  More importantly, it lists the overall length as 327 mm.  I assume that is the length from bolt-to-bolt centers.  The stroke length is 55 mm.

Even though I'm pretty sure Ohlins no longer makes this particular shock, it should be easy enough to match it up.  As I mentioned previously, I found that a shock spring rate of 64/160 was firm, but ok for my 190 lb weight.

Happy hunting!

Re: Rear Shock

wickedstuff
thanks for the run down and info and of course the part number, most helpful, thanks.

Re: Rear Shock

wickedstuff
Rick did your ohlins come with a res tank on a pipe? or no res tank at all. do you still have your old shock around? ie able to take some measurements for me. thanks.

Re: Rear Shock

wickedstuff
I found out that the mk1 trophy had more adjustments on the rear shock than the mk2, so in a round about way, if ppl want to change their buggered mk2 shock, it maybe worth looking for a good used mk1. I havent seen both them on the bench to compare just told about it by some one that works with suspension.
123