Re: Home Tyre Changing

12

Re: Home Tyre Changing

wickedstuff
Just of interest has anybody bought tyre levers and what length did they buy? and how did they find them? ie. too short? I have seen plenty of tyre levers for sale on ebay and all different lengths, so be interested to hear if anybody else has bought some? thanks. ps. I can get a local car garage to break the beads before using the levers, but his machine is not setup for bike rims, so this is why im looking into levers.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

nort75mk3
The longer the better for more leverage...I even use a short length of pipe
 for more muscle if need be...a big C-clamp or a bench vise can break the
bead. Just pick your weapon of choice.........

,,,,,,,,Tim

In a message dated 4/8/2014 10:08:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Just of interest has anybody bought tyre levers and what length did they
buy? and how did they find them? ie. too short? I have seen plenty of tyre
levers for sale on ebay and all different lengths, so be interested to hear
if  anybody else has bought some? thanks. ps. I can get a local car garage to
 break the beads before using the levers, but his machine is not setup for
bike  rims, so this is why im looking into levers.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

Bryan Nill
I have four of the longer standard style. Work really good, just need to be cautious of wheel paint.

I always check (bare)wheel balance prior to mounting of a new tire. Just to verify the correct location of the tire dot.

From bead break to balance after mounting, thirty mins and not break a sweat

On the gas till ya see God, then brake!!!

On Apr 8, 2014, at 10:08 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just of interest has anybody bought tyre levers and what length did they buy? and how did they find them? ie. too short? I have seen plenty of tyre levers for sale on ebay and all different lengths, so be interested to hear if anybody else has bought some? thanks. ps. I can get a local car garage to break the beads before using the levers, but his machine is not setup for bike rims, so this is why im looking into levers.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

wickedstuff
thanks for both replies, tell me more about this tyre dot and where your spose to locate it on the rim. As for rim weights (final balance) im thinking of going for some special internal beads that are self balancing, as im putting fresh paint on the rims and dont really want rim weights put on and taken off each time new tyres go on and get balanced. Hadnt thought of the c-clamp (sure its not Jed clampit lol)

Re: Home Tyre Changing

miles.a.french
I bought a tyre with an orange dot (Maxxi) a while ago, and when I asked about it I was told it was to give it a racing style as racers need to find the valve really quickly, so they put an orange dot on the tyre next to the valve. So you could line it up there if you have trouble finding the valve! The arrow, on thje other hand, is important as it shows the direction of rotation, and if your tyres go backwards they'll suck water in under themselves  ; ) Miles

Re: Home Tyre Changing

gandrews2
Hi Angus,  Usually there is a red or yellow dot on the side wall of the tire. That dot should be put near the valve stem. Most wheel weights use a sticky foam tape to hold the weight in place. The tire levers can do damage to the wheel paint and aluminum rims. I bought some plastic rim savers for the job. I wondered why there was a string attached to it. Sometimes the rim saver falls down into the tire, that's why there is a string. What I found that worked better than the rim saver was the cut up side of a orange juice or milk jug.
 You'll need about 4 or 5 of them. There are special tools out there to break the bead. I have a big rubber mat on the floor to kept from scratching the rims. Oh, one more thing. Take the brake rotors off if your doing this job on the floor. I once bent a brake rotor and ruined it.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

slovcan
Hi guys,

 My last 4 tires I got were a Michelin Pilot Road 2 (F), an Avon Azaro (R) and a set of Pilot Road 3's. The Michelins no longer have dots on them (can't remember the Avon or previous Pirelli Angels). It seems they are so well balanced right out of the mold the dots are no longer necessary.

 In search of ultimate smoothness I have now started balancing the wheel before mounting the tire. That weight stays on no matter what tires you mount. I don't think a new rotor would change the balance, nor would a replacement valve as long as it is the same material as the original. I then put in the Dynabeads (ceramic balance beads). Worked like a charm on my old V65 Sabre's finicky front end with the PR2.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Re: Home Tyre Changing

adeux60
Do any of you paint the inside of the rim in a rubber solution? A2

Re: Home Tyre Changing

wickedstuff
Greg, thanks for the handy hints and the Dot info, been a very long time since i changed motorcycle tyres, failing memory but its coming back after i read your story. thanks again.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

wickedstuff
thanks Miles, happy wheel changing :-)

Re: Home Tyre Changing

wickedstuff
no but many many yrs ago when i used a tyre machine maybe that was many centurys ago :-) i used some sort green slim around the bead of the tyre to make slippery and seal nicely.... never used to install the valve , but put on the air compressor hose and blow it up to 40psi to pop the bead out (new tyre on) and then take the air hose off and install the valve, if some of the bead didnt pop out and sit on the rim correctly then taking the air hose off and the air rapidly escaping the open valve then slip, slop, some rubber lube? in that area where the bead didnt pop and air hose back on (no valve inserted) blow up back up to 40psi and if all good? hose off and inner valve installed.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

miles.a.french
Whenever I get my front tyre changed I ask the guy (too much like hard work to do it myself) to give the rim a good clean-up. Every time he says he's done it but I have to pump the tyre up every 3 days as it will have lost at least 5psi. Next time I'm going to get him to take the tyre off, then clean the rim and paint it myself. I never thought of using rubber solution though. Miles

Re: Home Tyre Changing

apsllp@bellsouth.net
Miles:

Do you ALWAYS get a new valve stem core also?   Check there for a leak first.  Also around the valve stem itself.  Use soapy water to check.

Bob Clark

Re: Home Tyre Changing

nort75mk3
Tubeless radial tires are a lot easier to mount than a tube  type for sure.
Biggest thing is breaking the bead sometimes. I have  put a new tubeless
tire on  by hand sometimes without any  tools by using silicone spray on the
bead or sometimes dishwashing soap and even  tire mounting lube. None of
which you would carry in your tool kit. It's  just a matter of getting it
started and enough lube on the bead. Then the next  trick is getting the bead to
set or pop on with a blast of compressed air  which is a must. Even then it
can take awhile until the bead is lined up.

If you were on the side of the road with a flat and you broke the bead
loose those small CO2 cartridges I doubt would do it. Keep your cell phone
battery charged thats the ticket..... :>))

..Tim

In a message dated 4/10/2014 3:52:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Greg, thanks for the handy hints and the Dot info, been a very long time
since i changed motorcycle tyres, failing memory but its coming back after i
read your story. thanks again.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

slovcan
I have this annoying slow leak issue on the front as well - loses 2-3 PSI a week. I have sprayed the soapy water everywhere and even had it in the leak tank - no bubbles. Then one night recently (this past winter) I was doing something around the front wheel and accidentally pressed the side of the valve and heard a hiss. So I sprayed leak tester on it and tried again - bubbles at he base of the valve. So, with the next tire I'll replace the rubber seal at the base of the valve.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

 "Whenever I get my front tyre changed I ask the guy (too much like hard work to do it myself) to give the rim a good clean-up. Every time he says he's done it but I have to pump the tyre up every 3 days as it will have lost at least 5psi. Next time I'm going to get him to take the tyre off, then clean the rim and paint it myself. I never thought of using rubber solution though. Miles"

Re: Home Tyre Changing

Ken Hastie
I always thought the valves had the seal moulded in to them.  Are you saying your valve is separate from the sealing piece ?

Ken Hastie
Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10 and D14 Bantams

From: [hidden email]

I have this annoying slow leak issue on the front as well - loses 2-3 PSI a week. I have sprayed the soapy water everywhere and even had it in the leak tank - no bubbles. Then one night recently (this past winter) I was doing something around the front wheel and accidentally pressed the side of the valve and heard a hiss. So I sprayed leak tester on it and tried again - bubbles at he base of the valve. So, with the next tire I'll replace the rubber seal at the base of the valve.

Re: Home Tyre Changing

Ken Hastie-2
Whilst I change my tubed tyres on classics, I usually get the seller to fit tubeless tyres to my Trophy wheels. I always get them to replace the valves at the same time and I'm fairly sure they are one piece units. There is nothing quite as frustrating as a leaking valve seal!
Ken Hastie
(via remote device)

[hidden email] wrote:

><!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both; font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row { clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /* margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px; valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /* end of attachment style */ --> <!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } -->
>
>I don't know what the make-up of the valve assembly is, Ken. My description is just how I imagined it would be from seeing valves used in other applications. If it is as you say, there will be new valves installed with the next tires. Thanks for the heads up.
>

>Cheers,
>
>Glenn
>

>"I always thought the valves had the seal moulded in to them.  Are you saying your valve is separate from the sealing piece ?
>

>Ken Hastie
>Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10 and D14 Bantams"

Re: Home Tyre Changing

nort75mk3
My dealer use a little silly cone around the o-ring seal too when he
replaces valve stems on tubeless rims.

,,,,,,Tim

In a message dated 4/10/2014 1:29:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I have this annoying slow leak issue on the front as well - loses 2-3 PSI a
 week. I have sprayed the soapy water everywhere and even had it in the
leak  tank - no bubbles. Then one night recently (this past winter) I was doing
 something around the front wheel and accidentally pressed the side of the
valve and heard a hiss. So I sprayed leak tester on it and tried again -
bubbles at he base of the valve. So, with the next tire I'll replace the
rubber seal at the base of the valve.

Cheers,
Glenn

Re: Home Tyre Changing

nort75mk3
I just installed two new mag wheels on one of my bikes the mags didn't
come with valve stems. The aftermarket valve stems I bought came with o-ring
seals. Not all mag wheels have the same size hole either,,so I found out. The
 new valve stems are made out of aluminum and the threads are fragile so
use  caution when you tighten them down.

....Tim