Re: Coil over plug conversions?

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hey Ed.

Did you ever get the conversion to coil over plugs to work on your BBBB? I’m thinking of trying the conversion on my 96 BBBB as I have to replace a coil anyway and I have a set of COP’s that will fit. I’m thinking that if they are connected 1 and 4 in parallel and 2 and 3 in parallel they should work (in theory anyway).  Has anyone else tried the COP conversion on the BBBB’s? If so, what was the result and/or problems?

John M

Re: Coil over plug conversions?

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi John; Nope! Wont work! I learned a lot about inductance however!
:-[There's more to it than just matching up the resistance of the COP's
which is all most of us have equipment to measure. That's also the only
information you will find in the Haynes manual or anywhere else. Trust
me I have tried everything. Parallel will definitely not work but series
will allow the bike to start. [Maybe] However it will not rev or pull
itself. I thought maybe my bike was too high of mileage but another
friend mirrored my experiments with a lower mileage bike and while he
did get a little better performance the results were that he could coax
it up to a speed but cracking open the throttle shut off the spark
entirely. Your results may vary but I doubt it. There doesn't seem to be
enough available voltage to power them and I am using the Johnson Jolt
obviously. The JAP fours that your COP's probably came from use a CDI
and our igniter is not a CDI! Maybe using some capacitors in combination
with the COP's might help but I'm not enough of an engineer to know how
to do it. Our igniters simply ground and unground the coils at the
appropriate time while the coils are provided a positive voltage
constantly when the ignition switch is turned on.

     It is interesting to note that the coils on the triples are the
same spec as the quads yet the COP's will work fine on a triple. The
specs are something like 0.63 [+/- 10%] primary ohms and the COP's are
2.3 primary ohms yet they work fine on the triples. That tells me that
you can go way over spec on resistance but have to be spot on for
inductance. Google "Inductance" and "Coils" to save me a lot of typing! :-D

Good Luck and keep us posted if you are successful! There are a
multitude of COP's out there and somewhere there are probably some that
have the right inductance for our needs but we are faced with two
problems. We don't know what that inductance number is nor where to find
the matching COP's.

     I hope you have better luck than I did!

Ed J.