Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Igor,

Thank you for your observations and suggestions.  I did try that on my
front rim a couple of years ago, using a (nominal) 2" x 4" block of lumber
and a hefty hammer.  I'm not sure how much I gained on it but I don't think
I made it any worse.

The rear leak surprised me when I returned north from our winter abode in
Florida.  As I indicated, I've been running tubes since my first tire
change after obtaining the bike eight years ago with 33,000 miles on it.
I've probably run the last 15,000 to 17,000 miles (of the 20,000 I've put
on it) with tubes, no problem and no objection by the several shops who put
the successive sets of new tires on.

I haven't bothered trying to measure the run out but will do that.  I have
investigated the professional wheel straightening option, as well as used
wheels.  I'd rather try to muscle it myself and see if that alleviates the
leakage.  Thanks again.

Tom

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Tom,

On the subject of tubes. What would be considered the safe upper end
operating speed while running tubes. I have now found that I have a few
small punctures in my front tire. They are in the rain galleys and look so
small that I'm not sure what produced them. Nevertheless it now requires
recharging about every 3 days. Which is grating on my nerves.

Enjoy the ride,

Samuel
On Jul 24, 2016 8:43 PM, "Thomas Pritchard [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor,
>
> Thank you for your observations and suggestions.  I did try that on my
> front rim a couple of years ago, using a (nominal) 2" x 4" block of lumber
> and a hefty hammer.  I'm not sure how much I gained on it but I don't think
> I made it any worse.
>
> The rear leak surprised me when I returned north from our winter abode in
> Florida.  As I indicated, I've been running tubes since my first tire
> change after obtaining the bike eight years ago with 33,000 miles on it.
> I've probably run the last 15,000 to 17,000 miles (of the 20,000 I've put
> on it) with tubes, no problem and no objection by the several shops who put
> the successive sets of new tires on.
>
> I haven't bothered trying to measure the run out but will do that.  I have
> investigated the professional wheel straightening option, as well as used
> wheels.  I'd rather try to muscle it myself and see if that alleviates the
> leakage.  Thanks again.
>
> Tom

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Samuel; Have you tried Slime? It wont make your tire changer too
happy next time you get new tires because it's messy when you dismount
the tires next time. Also it will not work on sidewalls or rim leaks. It
needs centripetal force it find the leaks. Much lighter than tubes and
an easier fix. Just be prepared to clean up a mess when you next
dismount the tire [s]!

HTH! Ed J.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

The biggest drawback (and the reason I would never use an inner tube in a tubeless tyre) is the risk of rapid deflation in a puncture situation.
My life is worth more than the cost of a new tubeless tyre.
Ken Hastie

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I must agree with Ken. Samuel, get a new tire. Tom, get your wheels straightened (unless that costs more than guaranteed straight used wheels). I couldn't be comfortable with tubes where they don't belong. Just my opinion.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Gentlemen,

I still do not understand the objection to using tubes.  It does not make
sense to me that a punctured tubeless tire that has a tube in it would
deflate any faster or much differently than a tubeless tire without a tube
and I still do not understand the concern and objections and, as I have
already indicated, none of the shops which have put new tires on for me
have objected and expressed a concern about liability.  It is not as if a
tubeless tire, unless it is a run flat (which I am unaware of there being
any such tires for motorcycles), is self sealing.  I'll do some internet
searching and see what all of the fuss is about.

Thank you.

Tom

Tom

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
> On 26 July 2016 at 13:40 "Thomas Pritchard [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> I still do not understand the objection to using tubes.  It does not
> make
> sense to me that a punctured tubeless tire that has a tube in it would
> deflate any faster or much differently than a tubeless tire without a
> tube
> and I still do not understand the concern and objections and, as I
> have
> already indicated, none of the shops which have put new tires on for
> me
> have objected and expressed a concern about liability.  It is not as
> if a
> tubeless tire, unless it is a run flat (which I am unaware of there
> being
> any such tires for motorcycles), is self sealing.  I'll do some
> internet
> searching and see what all of the fuss is about.

There's an item here about it:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2010/october/oct2710-tubes-with-tubeless-tyres-/

On my steamer Tiger, I used tubeless tyres with tubes all the time, as
it's a normal wire-spoked rim rather than the BMW type.

However, personally I wouldn't want to use a wheel designed for a
tubeless tyre which couldn't give a proper seal on a tubeless tyre, and
I'd either replace it or take it somewhere for an expert opinion and
repair. But that's just my viewpoint - your wheels, your decision.

Mike Fleming

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

You don't have to look far, Tom.
Instead of listening to substantially unqualified advice from your tyre fitters, ask the manufacturers, who have a far greater level of experience and results of research.
Start with Avon maybe....
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/resource-centre/tube-fitment
Ken Hastie

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Punctures - tubeless versus tubed

Wise words, Mike.

I forgot to mention that my willingness to replace a tubeless tyre rather than insert a tube is based not on manufacturers' advice, but on practical experience. I've had my fair share of punctures over the 45 years or so I've been riding and a blow out in a tubed tyre is a frightening experience, somewhat akin to hitting ice.

Conversely, I have never had anything but a slow deflation on my tubeless tyres where I have been able to bring the bike to a halt reasonably safely.

As I said earlier, I would not penny pinch where my life may be concerned. Others do, but that is their choice.

Ken Hastie
Triumph Trophy 1200
Handful of BSAs
MGB Roadster

On my steamer Tiger, I used tubeless tyres with tubes all the time, as it's a normal wire-spoked rim rather than the BMW type.

However, personally I wouldn't want to use a wheel designed for a tubeless tyre which couldn't give a proper seal on a tubeless tyre, and I'd either replace it or take it somewhere for an expert opinion and repair. But that's just my viewpoint - your wheels, your decision.

Mike Fleming

Untitled.jpg (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Hi Ken,

I agree that tire replacement is the correct choice. Unfortunately where I
live the roads are in about the worse condition imaginable. At least in a
non third world setting. And at this point I can no longer afford new
rubber for every event. The last Pilot 4 Trail I installed on the rear
sucked up a 5/16 x 4" bolt the same day installed. Amazingly, with the bolt
still inserted I backtracked ths 5 miles home before it went flat. That one
now has a patch/plug repair. Knock on wood she is so far holding up.

I have noticed that the inside of tires I've inspected don't look very tube
friendly. To say the least. Plus the rims are designed differently. So
during a case of rapid deflation where would the majority of the air
escape? Would the rim seal not still hold?

I'm by no means recommending using any form of tire repair. Just wondering
about the physics.

As for the rim issues. Remarkably, I've so far avoided those. Hopefully it
remains that way..

Samuel
On Jul 25, 2016 3:41 PM, "Ken Hastie [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The biggest drawback (and the reason I would never use an inner tube in a
> tubeless tyre) is the risk of rapid deflation in a puncture situation.
>
> My life is worth more than the cost of a new tubeless tyre.
>
> Ken Hastie
>

> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

I wonder - is the slow deflation a function of the wheel or the tube?
I would expect that a tubeless tire on a tubeless wheel, with a tube would also lose air slowly due to the nature of the tire/wheel.  This might be dependent on the valve stem though.  A positive-mount valve-stem with seals would probably leak air much more slowly that a valve-stem without seals.
A tube on a tube-tire rim will blow air out through the spoke holes and the valve stem hole.  I would expect it to go quickly if the tube blows out.
I've had flats on both tube and tubeless tires.  The tube was more of a slow leak at first that got worse over time.  The tubeless hit something that opened a fairly big gash.  It lost air quickly, but not suddenly.
Dave W.

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Hi Sam.

I am a relative novice when it comes to motorcycles so I can only speak
from my eight years of experience on my '96 Trophy and my '96 BMW R1100RS
(which has the tires on from when I bought it two years ago).

I have had the 900 up to an indicated 125 mph (optimistic, as our
speedometers tend to be) a couple of times, briefly, and have worked it
hard in corners when with experienced other riders.  The handling of the
Trophy has never alarmed me and most of the miles I've put on it were with
tubed tires.  So I remain ignorant about the cautionary advice against
using tubes in radial tires.  I checked the Dunlop website and they also
say it's a no no.  Of course I've met riders on the dark side who run
automobile tires on the rear of their larger bikes.  Better mileage but boy
they take the curves a lot slower, as is obvious from the character of the
sidewalls compared to motorcycle tires, however they are not bashful about
catching up on the straights.

I defer to the elder (experience wise) of this list but am still curious
about the rationale for not tubing radial cycle tires.

Tom

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Here's another angle.  Triumph supplied bikes with radial tires and tubes as new in the same era in the Thunderbird/Legend/Adventurer line.  While the tire MFR might say don't do it - everyone knows you do, even Triumph.

I've had them that way on my Legend for 6k miles.  Two different shops have fitted tires for me and never batted an eye.

Some actually prefer them because you can more easily change your tires at home or fix a flat on the road by swapping a tube.

The issue of the tube being less safe is that, when punctured, they pop like a balloon.  Poof.  No more holding air.  A tubless tire doesn't usually pop like that, they get an object and deflate more slowly.  Yeah, it still might be just a few minutes if its a serious penetration, but its still not "poof" and sudden decompression.

That said, guys have ridden and do ride on Tubes tens of thousands of miles every day.  They aren't like... instant death, as you yourself have found.

All that said, I would get your wheels professionally straightened.  Wacking it back towards shape is no where near as good as the press/heat process the professionals will use.  You're probably likely to cause a crack in the wheel trying to straighten it.

Scott

---In [hidden email], <tomaprit@...> wrote :

 I defer to the elder (experience wise) of this list but am still curious about the rationale for not tubing radial cycle tires.

 Tom

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

> On 26 July 2016 at 23:14 "Thomas Pritchard [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I defer to the elder (experience wise) of this list but am still
> curious
> about the rationale for not tubing radial cycle tires.

Did you read
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2010/october/oct2710-tubes-with-tubeless-tyres-/
?

Mostly it's OK to use tubes with tubeless tyres, sometimes the inside of
a tubeless carcass will chafe the tube. The rationale I originally
heard, many years ago, was that the tube and tyre could overheat.

I'd look at what the manufacturer has to say about the tyres you want to
use. They may say not to use them with a tube, in which case I'd use a
different tyre.

Mike Fleming

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

I think everyone is forgetting that to install a tube into any rim, tubeless or not, the tubes valve has to come through the valve stem hole. This is not sealed (whereas a tubeless valve stem is sealed) in the rim thus, when you suck up a nail or bolt etc, the tire goes flat very shortly thereafter.
If I have the option, give me a tubeless any day. Much safer and with even a basic kit, you have a fair chance of getting home without trying to break the bead on a tyre on the side of the road.

You can buy mushroom kits that insert from the outside that are permanent repairs. I’ve used the kit I have a few times and they work brilliantly.

My thoughts only
JohnM

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Interesting thoughts. The local wrench says 105 is the limit for short
periods. Which roughly fits my habits. I do run a few miles on the
interstates twice a week. Which almost always require a burst to split from
the cager packs. One thing I've learned over the years is to produce
seperation by whatever means necessary. And unfortunately the way people
drive in these parts. Slowing down generally is even more dangerous.

The slime idea would be tempting. But in my case surely would turn the
balance beads into an out of balance mess. Currently, I'm not running tubes
but have a large truck moulded patch/plug in one vulcanized in the rear
hole. It also just barely leaks. Which I check weekly for any signs of
incressed leakege. Due to the air volume its good for at least a week of
service before needing more air. On hindsight the image of balance beads
constantly scuffing a patch concerns me. I kind of wish I had just
reinserted the tube along with the patch.

Nevertheless, for the first time since I've owned the beast. It seem all
the abnormal tire wear patterns have vanished. Which I now believe were
related to out of balance conditions. These beads have held the overall
balance in check. As stated earlier the roads here are horrible. And it
seems a continuous dynamic balance is a definite improvement at least in
this case.

Interesting stuff! Hope its helpful for you guys.

Enjoy the ride,

Samuel
NOLA