Re: 1996 Trophy 900 - Fuel lines and routing advice? Seeking OEM lu

Re: 1996 Trophy 900 - Fuel lines and routing advice? Seeking OEM lu

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Thanks Greg and Brian - good info and I appreciate it.

I have 2 lines for fuel.  Haven't pulled the airbox yet to recon but if you say 3 feet I believe you.
Motion Pro is $22 for 3 feet of line? That's nuts.

I can find similar (silicone) around here for far less, lots of aircraft options too.
Might cost me a few beers.  At least I know what I'm seeking thanks to Greg.
Rather spend the coin on 90degree fittings and do this right.
The spring idea is a new one, I really like it.   One of those common sense things.

Brian - will reach out directly - OEM RACK anyone?  I'm in the Pacific Northwest (N.AM.)

Cheers all!  Ride safe.

WILEY

Re: 1996 Trophy 900 - Fuel lines and routing advice? Seeking OEM lu

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Wiley,

 Lots of folks swear by the Tygon. However, lots of folks have had trouble with Tygon. It seems Greg has the solution by choosing the proper colour of Tygon.

 Now, I didn't have easy access to Tygon (maybe I didn't look hard enough) so I just went to the auto parts store (Napa or Lordco) and bought the bulk fuel injection grade fuel hose in 5/16" for the fuel and 3/16" for the vacuum. That stuff is much better at not kinking than normal fuel or vacuum lines. That was 5 years ago for sure and no trouble, yet (knock on wood). The hoses are thicker walled than stock, but fit well. I use tiewraps to secure them to the petcock. I found there wasn't really adequate space on the forward petcock outlet for the tiewrap due to the thicker wall of the hose, so I now use the spring type hose clamp on that one (the one you hold open with pliers to position) and it is perfect.

 Maybe my fuel hoses are lasting longer than others - I don't know. I don't use ethanol tainted fuel. I'm sure that is the best option, but if you are in WA, you don't have that option.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Hi Glenn, I wasn't joking, if that is how you understood it. The yellow and blue tygon feels like plastic tubing. The gray tygon feels like rubber tubing. The other stuff gets hard and no longer flexible in less than a year. The gray will stay soft and flexible even after 5 years and no clamp needed on that back petcock fitting. The front one is short so I put a spring clamp on it. Greg Andrews

Re: 1996 Trophy 900 - Fuel lines and routing advice? Seeking OEM lu

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Greg,

 I know you weren't joking. I remember over the years people talked about and tried the Tygon. Back then there was no talk of colours and some people were not getting good results. Therefore, I figured the colours denoted the different varieties of Tygon and now you have confirmed the correct one for us. It is something that needed clarification.

 Cheers,
 Glenn