Powerlet product and service fail [2 Attachments]

Powerlet product and service fail [2 Attachments]

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi folks,

 Well, one of the many notable things to happen during my recent Saddlesore 1600 (5800 km round trip) adventure was the failure of my Powerlet brand heated clothing.

 I bought heated sock and glove liners in the fall of 2013, 2½ years ago. At the time I was riding year round to work and back (150 kms round trip daily) and had never used heated gear. Anyway, then I retired so the new gear got used maybe 3 times – until now. It did work great and was extremely comfortable set on 3 out of 5 – perfect, not too warm, but warm enough – natural.

 So, the first or second time I turned on the glove liners on this trip there was a short circuit in the right thumb. I could feel the arcing and feel the current flowing through my thumb like one of those TENS physiotherapy machines, although not enough to make my thumb jump around. I only used them sparingly when my fingers would get really cold and start to stiffen in the mountain passes, but even at that I did get some small spot burns on my thumb from the arcing.

 When I got home I sent an email along with pictures of the burns and the glove liners to Powerlet and a brief synopsis of my trip. I expected some sort of customer service from them even though they were 6 months out of warranty. I would have been happy with a reduced price on replacements even. The Product Manager wrote back saying that my model had finished production in 2012. If I sent him my size he would see if they had any left around. I did and have written again, but no further communication from Powerlet. I am really surprised as they are one of just a few very big names in motorcycle touring support equipment suppliers. Try to find a BMW without something on it from Powerlet.

 My conclusion is for my future purchases, and I recommend for anyone else who values good customer service, I will not consider Powerlet products. At the time I was choosing between Powerlet and Gerbing. I see now there are other options, too, but now Powerlet is out. I will forward this letter to the Powerlet Product Manager as well as let him know which of my forums I have posted it on (all of them).

 Cheers,

 Glenn

Re: Powerlet product and service fail

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Glenn,

That sucks, really does. I have never used their clothing line, just the
cable stuff. I had one of their USB adapters do a nuke meltdown though.
My CS experience was completely oppisite of yours. Which makes one
wonder about the company and which products they really want to support.

Bryan

On 4/8/16 6:43 PM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] wrote:

> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]
> included below]
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Well, one of the many notable things to happen during my recent
> Saddlesore 1600 (5800 km round trip) adventure was the failure of my
> Powerlet brand heated clothing.
>
> I bought heated sock and glove liners in the fall of 2013, 2½ years
> ago. At the time I was riding year round to work and back (150 kms
> round trip daily) and had never used heated gear. Anyway, then I
> retired so the new gear got used maybe 3 times – until now. It did
> work great and was extremely comfortable set on 3 out of 5 – perfect,
> not too warm, but warm enough – natural.
>
> So, the first or second time I turned on the glove liners on this trip
> there was a short circuit in the right thumb. I could feel the arcing
> and feel the current flowing through my thumb like one of those TENS
> physiotherapy machines, although not enough to make my thumb jump
> around. I only used them sparingly when my fingers would get really
> cold and start to stiffen in the mountain passes, but even at that I
> did get some small spot burns on my thumb from the arcing.
>
> When I got home I sent an email along with pictures of the burns and
> the glove liners to Powerlet and a brief synopsis of my trip. I
> expected some sort of customer service from them even though they were
> 6 months out of warranty. I would have been happy with a reduced price
> on replacements even. The Product Manager wrote back saying that my
> model had finished production in 2012. If I sent him my size he would
> see if they had any left around. I did and have written again, but no
> further communication from Powerlet. I am really surprised as they are
> one of just a few very big names in motorcycle touring support
> equipment suppliers. Try to find a BMW without something on it from
> Powerlet.
>
> My conclusion is for my future purchases, and I recommend for anyone
> else who values good customer service, I will not consider Powerlet
> products. At the time I was choosing between Powerlet and Gerbing. I
> see now there are other options, too, but now Powerlet is out. I will
> forward this letter to the Powerlet Product Manager as well as let him
> know which of my forums I have posted it on (all of them).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Glenn

Re: Powerlet product and service fail

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Yes, it is kind of strange, Brian. The guys on another forum talk about the great customer service from the same manager who blew my issue off. I think I'll give him a call on Monday in case he wants to change his decision.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Re: Powerlet product and service fail

Yes, it is kind of strange, Bryan. The guys on another forum talk about the great customer service from the same manager who blew my issue off. I think I'll give him a call on Monday in case he wants to change his decision.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Re: Powerlet product and service fail

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi folks,

 I have some news to report on the Powerlet Customer Service front. A couple of folks on the various forums had commented that my customer service experience was different from theirs. One fellow from across the pond PM’d me to suggest I contact a specific fellow at Powerlet who had been extremely helpful to him. Turns out that is who I was communicating with.

 Well, today that fellow from Powerlet wrote to apologize for not replying in a timely fashion. Apparently, he was dealing with a multi-million dollar order deadline for a large mid-west motorcycle manufacturer. He told me he has a pair of liners (production sample) left over that he will send right out to me.

 Kudos to Powerlet. I take back my advice to others to avoid their products. When my new liners arrive, I will give them a road test and report back.

 Cheers,
 Glenn