Popping & hesitating

12

Popping & hesitating

Triumph Trophy mailing list
 Hi Everyone!

 I've only posted once but I'm always reading all the postings!
 I'm after some help with my 2002 trophy 1200 and you guys have the Knoledge!
 Lately me bike has started popping when on idel and coming off the throttle, also it dosen't like going slow, it hesitates.
 Last year I replaced the battery, coils and flue pipe. I replaced the exhausts this year with Delkevic ones.
 Its done 49000miles
 Im thinking could it be the coils going again or could there be an air leak somewhere?
 Also Im only getting 35mpg on daily us but 44mpg on longer rides.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 Thanks Dave
 Redditch UK

Re: Popping & hesitating

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Have you tried the Johnson Jolt! Do you understand the theory behind it?
If 12V input results in 40,000+ volts output I don't want to lose even a
half a volt but that just me! :-) I dropped my 1200 twice because of low
speed stutters and now it will do a lock to lock turns at idle speed
[1000 rpm] in a parking lot! That's what I'm talking about! But if you
don't want to do it! Don't!
Ed J.

--
Ed J.Indian Harbour Beach,FL
2001 Triumph Trophy 1200

---

Re: Popping & hesitating

Triumph Trophy mailing list
HiEd, thanks fo replying, I had thought about that I'll have a go at the Johnson Jolt over the weeken! Thanks Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi Dave, I try to start with the free and cheap fixes before buying expensive electrical parts. Looks like you've replaced the coils already. The Johnson Jolt mod doesn't cost much, it helped my Trophy and Sprint. Your stock spark plugs wire are now 13 years old, that would be another thing to look at if you still thinks its an electrical issue.

 You said it doesn't like going slow and hesitates. That sounds like a plugged pilot jet. Sometimes people will call them a low speed jet. The jet does its work at idle and low throttle settings. Such as the hesitation and coughing while pulling away from a stop light. It's a free fix, but it takes some time to pull the carbs and take out the pilot jets. If you try this make sure you have a slotted screw driver that fits the jet perfectly. Manufacturers setup the carb mixture as lean as they can get it to satisfy the clean air laws. Then when you change the exhaust, it effects the air mixture to a leaner setting. Maybe now is the time to make those small carb adjustments while the carbs are off. Air screws at 2 - 2&1/2 turns out. If it bogs down for a moment when you whack open the throttle that's telling you the needle is too low, raise it up one notch.
 Hope this helps,

Re: Popping & hesitating

I would say because you have improved the exhaust flow, the machine would need a half size larger main jet. I believe that the stock machines in the US 48-state market came with 117.5 mains, so a 120 would be a half size larger.
 My experience with no less that 5 machines (over the course of 13+ years) from owners on this group, whose carburetors that I have rebuilt have had one common issue, float height was off with most every carb! that in itself is the very base line adjustment that needs to be correct before you attempt to fix any other fuel related issue, if the units are not clogged...
 I have relied on the technique shown in the Haynes manual which sets the float height, the factory manual shows you how to set the fuel level. Both ways work well, the factory's way of doing things can be slightly more accurate, but is a very tedious procedure to say the least.
 I posted a "White Sheet" of base line instruction in the files sections, you may want to take a look.
 Cheers!
 Tom D.
 1999 BRG BBBB

Re: Popping & hesitating

I'm a huge fan of Seafoam. It stopped all my stammering and popping after a tankful.

Re: Popping & hesitating

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Angel!
  I have heard some good things about Sea Foam additive, but I've never used it. Mainly because when Chevron came up with this stuff called "Techroline" They add it to their "Supreme" grade gas. I also add a bottle of straight Techroline treatment about 3 or 4 times a year. You can buy it at auto parts stores, and Chevron stations. One whole bottle to a full tank of gas. It cleans out the inside of the engine, and the carbs. I've seen a few motors that were run on the stuff for quite a while, and the inside of the engine was absolutely new looking. I swear by it1
 Kindest regards,
   Poppa Jack

On Jul 4, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Angel Hernandez [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] wrote:

> I'm a huge fan of Seafoam. It stopped all my stammering and popping after a tankful.

Re: Popping & hesitating

One bottle is the amount of Techron for an automotive fuel tank.  Be sure to read the label.  It will run up the egt temperature.
Bob Clark

      Hi Angel!  I have heard some good things about Sea Foam additive, but I've never used it. Mainly because when Chevron came up with this stuff called "Techroline" They add it to their "Supreme" grade gas. I also add a bottle of straight Techroline treatment about 3 or 4 times a year. You can buy it at auto parts stores, and Chevron stations. One whole bottle to a full tank of gas. It cleans out the inside of the engine, and the carbs. I've seen a few motors that were run on the stuff for quite a while, and the inside of the engine was absolutely new looking. I swear by it1 Kindest regards,   Poppa Jack

On Jul 4, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Angel Hernandez [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] wrote:

    I'm a huge fan of Seafoam. It stopped all my stammering and popping after a tankful.

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi guys, I got to do the Johnson Joltdone over the weekend and l found the exhaust was blowing a little round some off the joints so I fixed that! Road to work today no hesitation and only the occasional popping . I didn't get time to do the jets . The bike wasn't popping for about a month after fitting the new exhausts . The manufacturer stated you don't need to adjust anything as their a straight swop . I'll see what happens this week and if need be do the carbs next weekend. Thanks for all the adivse sa Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi everyone, Thanks for the help! I've done the Johson Jolt, replaced ht leads and used seafoam but I still have popping! the carbs are coming out this weekend any advice would be great, jet setting,removing the carbs etc. I'll be using the Haynes manual.

 Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Dave,  Couple of questions first.
 Have you taken the carbs off before?
 The caps that cover the air screws, have they been removed?
 Did you split the backside of the air box?
 Do you have replacement o-rings for the float assembly and new float bowl gaskets?
 Is the fuel line old, hard and lost its flexiblity.
 K&N sells a cleaner and oil for air filters, it does a fine job on the Trophy air filters.

 Pulling the carbs takes awhile.
 It would be handy to have the needed parts, so you don't have to do the job again.

Re: Popping & hesitating

Did you replace the coils?  JJ can't revive a failed coil.  Carb work may help although several have had carb issues.  My 2001 1200 Trophy hasn't had carbs, airfilter, or fuel lines messed with since the week afet I drove it off the showroom floor.
Yes many on here will say carbs.  That is not always the case, "IF" the machine was properly stored and cared for.
My 1996 Thunderbird 900. Wasn't before I got it.  It got JJ and I had to do carbs (same as on Trophy). Even after all that, still had to replace the coils.  TIME in Calendar years is what kills the ignition and crankshaft position "pulse" coils.
Bob Clark01 Sunset Red Trophy 120096 BRG Thunderbird 900Jacksonville, FL

      Hi everyone, Thanks for the help! I've done the Johson Jolt, replaced ht leads and used seafoam but I still have popping! the carbs are coming out this weekend any advice would be great, jet setting,removing the carbs etc. I'll be using the Haynes manual.
Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi Greg,

 I haven't had the carbs off before!
 The caps are still covering the air screws! (where are they and how do you remove them?)
 The air box is split.
 I havn't got the o-ring and gaskets yet.
 The fuel pipe has been replaced last year! They're flexible still.
 And I need to get the air filter cleaner.

 Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi Bob

 The coils were renewed last year. The bike is used on a daily bases and garaged at night!

 Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Just remember to install the throttle cable before installing the carb bank.

Best
Samuel
On Jul 21, 2015 11:58 AM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Couple of questions first.
> Have you taken the carbs off before?
> The caps that cover the air screws, have they been removed?
> Did you split the backside of the air box?
> Do you have replacement o-rings for the float assembly and new float bowl
> gaskets?
> Is the fuel line old, hard and lost its flexiblity.
> K&N sells a cleaner and oil for air filters, it does a fine job on the
> Trophy air filters.
>
> Pulling the carbs takes awhile.
> It would be handy to have the needed parts, so you don't have to do the
> job again.
> Greg Andrews

Re: Popping & hesitating

Still go back to every popping and hesitating problem I’ve had. ALL (except 1) were eventually traced to air inlet leaks. Most likely is the vacuum off take on the top of the carb, but I’ve had badly fitted rubber seals from carb to cylinder head (in one case a split rubber). Also check the line from cylinder 3 to the fuel tap. Even a small leak can cause popping but still provide enough suction to operate the fuel tap. The one exception was a leak in the exhaust manifold. I’m told Harley and other cruiser owners often deliberately drill holes in the exhaust headers to make their machines pop!

Ian

Hi everyone, Thanks for the help! I've done the Johson Jolt, replaced ht leads and used seafoam but I still have popping! the carbs are coming out this weekend any advice would be great, jet setting,removing the carbs etc. I'll be using the Haynes manual.

Dave  <https://s.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo4.gif>

  _____

No virus found in this message.

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi Greg,
Fuel pipe was replaced, I'm getting the seals.
The air box has the mod. The air screws are not showing, where are they and how do you uncover them?

Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi Greg, I haven't taken the carbs out before!
 The air screws are still covered!, where are they on the carbs?
 The air box has been split.
 The fuel line has been  replaced.
 I'll get the spare parts before doing the carbs .

 Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi Greg, I haven't had the carbs out before.
 The fuel lines have been replaced.
 Air sçrews are covered, where are they? Have you any photos of them? How do you remove them?
 The air box has had the mod!
 Thanks Dave

Re: Popping & hesitating

Hi All,  Sorry for the multiple email I thought it wasn't working!
 Dave
12