Petcock [1 Attachment]

Samuel Crider
Hi Fellas,

My petcock decided to spring a leak resulting in me siphoning the tank. So
after a visual inspection I have a question. I suspect one of the two small
screws holding the setting rotor has vibrated out. The screw on the left
seems to be missing. Which is also where the leak is occurring. I was
unable to tell if the hole actually has threads with it still mounted.

So my question is this supposed to have a screw or is it some sort of vent
hole? I suspect it is not a vent.

Also would anyone happen to have an old parts unit handy with a screw? I
suspect they are now offered separately by Triumph.

I'll try to load a pic for further clarification.

Thanks as always,

Samuel
96 BBBB PB
New Orleans

Re: Petcock

Ed Johnson-2
hi Sam;

     It's not a vent hole! It has threads and is a special "Guide Screw"
to locate the turning drum.  Shouldn't be any harder to find than a
chicken with lips! =-O

Ed J.

On 10/26/2017 11:41 AM, Samuel Crider [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy] wrote:

> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Samuel Crider included below]
>
> Hi Fellas,
>
> My petcock decided to spring a leak resulting in me siphoning the
> tank. So after a visual inspection I have a question. I suspect one of
> the two small screws holding the setting rotor has vibrated out. The
> screw on the left seems to be missing. Which is also where the leak is
> occurring. I was unable to tell if the hole actually has threads with
> it still mounted.
>
> So my question is this supposed to have a screw or is it some sort of
> vent hole? I suspect it is not a vent.
>
> Also would anyone happen to have an old parts unit handy with a screw?
> I suspect they are now offered separately by Triumph.
>
> I'll try to load a pic for further clarification.
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Samuel
> 96 BBBB PB
> New Orleans

Re: Petcock

Samuel Crider
Hi Ed,

Yep I suspect it fell out right in the carport. And due to my leaf blower
habits has been blown somewhere into the yard. Sheesh!

On Oct 26, 2017 11:49 AM, "Ed Johnson [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi Sam;
>
>     It's not a vent hole! It has threads and is a special "Guide Screw" to
> locate the turning drum.  Shouldn't be any harder to find than a chicken
> with lips! =-O
> Ed J.
>
> On 10/26/2017 11:41 AM, Samuel Crider [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy] wrote:
>
> Hi Fellas,
>
> My petcock decided to spring a leak resulting in me siphoning the tank. So
> after a visual inspection I have a question. I suspect one of the two small
> screws holding the setting rotor has vibrated out. The screw on the left
> seems to be missing. Which is also where the leak is occurring. I was
> unable to tell if the hole actually has threads with it still mounted.
>
> So my question is this supposed to have a screw or is it some sort of vent
> hole? I suspect it is not a vent.
>
> Also would anyone happen to have an old parts unit handy with a screw? I
> suspect they are now offered separately by Triumph.
>
> I'll try to load a pic for further clarification.
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Samuel
> 96 BBBB PB
> New Orleans

Re: Petcock [1 Attachment]

nigelpk@globalnet.co.uk
It just so happens (see att)

Nigel
Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Oct 2017, at 17:48, Ed Johnson [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi Sam;
>
>     It's not a vent hole! It has threads and is a special "Guide Screw" to locate the turning drum.  Shouldn't be any harder to find than a chicken with lips! =-O
> Ed J.
>
>> On 10/26/2017 11:41 AM, Samuel Crider [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] wrote:
>> Hi Fellas,
>>
>> My petcock decided to spring a leak resulting in me siphoning the tank. So after a visual inspection I have a question. I suspect one of the two small screws holding the setting rotor has vibrated out. The screw on the left seems to be missing. Which is also where the leak is occurring. I was unable to tell if the hole actually has threads with it still mounted.
>>
>> So my question is this supposed to have a screw or is it some sort of vent hole? I suspect it is not a vent.
>>
>> Also would anyone happen to have an old parts unit handy with a screw? I suspect they are now offered separately by Triumph.
>>
>> I'll try to load a pic for further clarification.
>>
>> Thanks as always,
>>
>> Samuel
>> 96 BBBB PB
>> New Orleans

image1.jpeg (27K) Download Attachment

Re: Petcock

gandrews2
Hi Samuel, The two screws are kind of special with no thread on the ends. They hold the petcock knob in place yet allow you to turn the petcock. Remember there is a small spring that pushes it out. The vent hole is  on the side of the body where the diaphragm cover goes. I have a couple of extra petcocks. I'm sure I can part with that special screw. Send me your address and I'll put one in the mail. Greg Andrews
 Apple Valley, Calif.
 '96 900 Trophy BRG
 '98 Sprint for sale  $2500
 '96 1200 Trident
 3 bikes is too many for me

Re: Petcock

Samuel Crider
Hi Greg,

Thank you so much! I'll send the info directly to your email. Plus this
time both will be threadlocked in place. Might be a good idea for everybody
to add this to the todo list. As loosing one creates an instant fire hazard
to say the least.

Thanks again and enjoy the ride.

Samuel

On Oct 26, 2017 11:21 PM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Samuel, The two screws are kind of special with no thread on the ends.
> They hold the petcock knob in place yet allow you to turn the petcock.
> Remember there is a small spring that pushes it out. The vent hole is  on
> the side of the body where the diaphragm cover goes. I have a couple of
> extra petcocks. I'm sure I can part with that special screw. Send me your
> address and I'll put one in the mail.
> Greg Andrews
> Apple Valley, Calif.
> '96 900 Trophy BRG
> '98 Sprint for sale  $2500
> '96 1200 Trident
> 3 bikes is too many for me

Re: Petcock

gandrews2
Hi Samuel, The screw is in the mail box awaiting pickup. Greg

Re: Petcock

gandrews2
Hi Samuel, Did the screw arrive? Greg

Re: Petcock

Samuel Crider
Hi Greg,

It sure did yesterday. Good job on the cardboard! I suspect it caused a bit
of drama with the letter sorting machines. It arrived with a little metal
shining in both sides of the envelope. But the screw is in fine shape.
Hopefully in the next few days I can install it.

Thanks a million!
Samuel

On Nov 5, 2017 12:27 PM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Samuel, Did the screw arrive?
Greg

Re: Petcock

Samuel Crider
Hey fellas,

Here is my petcock escapades update. Thanks to the generosity of Greg
posting me a replacement screw. I'm now back in business!

Here is the blow by blow. I ended up removing the revolving drum and
inspecting the rubber seal. Of which I noticed that the circular rubber
sealing lip was slightly stretched out of round. Off to the side were the
screw fell out. Which was the direction that the drum was being pushed
toward due to the missing screw. So I attempted twice to reinstall the
assembly. And both times it leaked. At which point I decided to just leave
it for a week to relax with the drum removed. After which visibly the
rubber looked to have almost completely reformed back to a circle. So I
again reinstalled the drum assembly. And much to my surprise she is now
holding leak free. You really have to be careful when installing the two
screws which hold the drum in place. They need to be  first set to the
visial center by judging the gap between the drum and the outer housing.
And then with finger feel slightly tightened while wiggling and turning the
drum. Set them too tight and it binds while turning. After all of this I
then flowed nail polish all around the exterior housing and the two set
screws. Which after having one fall out I still don't trust. So I'm adding
a wide rubber band on top of the screw heads and all. Like the ones used on
broccoli bunches.

 Now in a perfect world I would have replaced the seal. But the oem is only
sold in the rebuild kit. Since I didn't know the dimensions I decided to
stick with the existing seal. I could have extracted it to bring to the
local bearing and seal shop. And they should have been able to produce a
metric match. But my last run in with them left a lot to be desired. So
there you have it.

Again thanks to Gregs assistance I'm back on the prowl.

Happy holidays to all and ride safe.

Samuel
NOLA

On Nov 5, 2017 12:52 PM, "Samuel Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> It sure did yesterday. Good job on the cardboard! I suspect it caused a
> bit of drama with the letter sorting machines. It arrived with a little
> metal shining in both sides of the envelope. But the screw is in fine
> shape. Hopefully in the next few days I can install it.
>
> Thanks a million!
> Samuel
>
> On Nov 5, 2017 12:27 PM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Samuel, Did the screw arrive?
> Greg

Re: Petcock

gandrews2
Hi Samuel,  I'm glad to see you are back in business with your Trophy. I wondered what was going on when you described putting in the set screws. They both go into a slot on the drum. Strange how you had to stop turning in the screw because it would bottom out against the drum and keep it from turning. On one of my bikes, I remember one screw would bottom out on one side of the petcock but not the other. Seems like one screw was longer than the other. If I were you, I'd add a washer or two so the screw could go in all the way without bottoming out against the drum. How long will nail polish act as a thread lock? There is thread locking compound out there. Sprint Manufacturing in the UK has petcock rebuild kits with a new diaphragm and seal.
 The aluminum drum has two small tabs on the back side. If those tabs get broken off the plastic cylinder directing the fuel flow will no longer turn. I haven't found a source for just the aluminum drum. I've repaired a couple of them with really small allen screws. Not easy to do that job.
 Glad I could help you out,
 Greg Andrews
 Apple Valley, Calif.