Ohlins Fork Springs for the Trophy

R. Hartwick
With the fork spring thread, I thought I would throw in my experiences
with them.  I had put in a set of RaceTech 0.95 rate springs on two
different Trophys over the years, and was not thrilled with the
results.  In the end, I always took them back out and went back to
stock, as I felt they were too harsh for touring.  I also put the RT
emulators in, and liked the results, so they stayed (not much choice,
after drilling out the compression holes).

Ohlins has had a set of replacement fork springs for the Trophy since
way back when the Trophys were first introduced.  I ordered a set - they
are not a common stock item, but they are still available from the
factory with a few weeks wait.  They don't list their exact rate.  They
come with pre-cut spacers, that if I didn't have the RT emulators in,
would have fit perfectly without cutting.

The results on these were Fantastic!  They are not harsh at all.  The
ride is supple, yet controlled, and in my experience, an order of
magnitude better than the RaceTechs.  Not long after getting everything
settled in and the sag set exactly where I want it, I took them on a 5K
mile round trip out west, and they were just the most comfortable,
confidence inspiring setup one could wish for.  So there is an
alternative to the RaceTechs, if you are willing to wait to receive them.

The Ohlins part numbers are:

08800-01  FSK Trophy 900/1200

As for the RT emulators, they work, but remember all they do is replace
the compression fixed holes with their spring-valve, so they only soften
and allow control over the compression.  Rebound is unchanged, and is
thus controlled via the oil weight.  They take the harshness out of
sharp bumps, but otherwise, you can get by without them just fine.

I also had put the Ohlins shock on the rear with a 550 rate spring, and
the smoothness of the ride with the combination of good front forks and
a good rear shock is just mind boggeling.  The bike just feels under
total control at all times, and is way more comfortable than stock.
With new Avons, the bike just feels like it has incredible handling
capabilities.  Suspension fussing takes time, but once you get it right.
it is a joy to behold.

Rick Hartwick

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Ohlins Fork Springs for the Trophy

John Doak
Hi all,

Based on Rick Hartwick's recommendation of Ohlins fork springs and rear
shock for the Trophy 1200, I went to the Ohlins USA website and clicked on
their recommendation for the Triumph Trophy. The only Trophy 1200's for
which they list suspension components are 1996 through 1999,  for which they
recommend the #08800-01 fork spring kit and the #TR601 rear shock. Retail
for the spring kit is $116.50 and $755.00 (gulp!) for the rear shock with
spring.

I called Ohlins USA at 828-692-4525 to see if  these components would fit my
2001 Trophy 1200. A very helpful guy named Steve at Ohlins said they had no
information whether these components would fit my 2001 Trophy, but said he
would "check with Sweden" to see if they knew if these would fit my 2001
Trophy.

Does anyone know if there were any changes to either the forks or the
mounting positions of the rear shock on the Trophy 1200 after 1999 that
would suggest the Ohlins fork spring kit and rear shock for 1996-1999 Trophy
1200's would or would not fit my 2001?

Thank you in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Ohlins Fork Springs for the Trophy

Tom D.
--- In [hidden email], "John Doak" <JohnHuntD@C...>
wrote:

> Hi all,
A very helpful guy named Steve at Ohlins said they had no
> information whether these components would fit my 2001 Trophy, but
said he
> would "check with Sweden" to see if they knew if these would fit my
2001
> Trophy.
>
> Does anyone know if there were any changes to either the forks or
the
> mounting positions of the rear shock on the Trophy 1200 after 1999
that
> would suggest the Ohlins fork spring kit and rear shock for 1996-
1999 Trophy
> 1200's would or would not fit my 2001?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> John Doak in Baltimore, MD

John,
      Take a look at the files section, this should help you make a
very informed descion about suspension upgrades.
Regards
Tom D.

20Information./

20Information./

20tips/

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: Re: Ohlins Springs for the Trophy

Alec Gore
Ohlins 46ERS, listed for 96-99, bolts straight into any of the
later 1200s. Guaranteed, I have one! I asked the same question.
I wondered why they are reluctant to commit themselves to an
answer. The reason, I believe, is that they've never done it
themselves. Harris, their UK agent confirmed this when  I saw
them at the NEC show in November.

Mark at MH Racing did mine for me: http://www.mhracing.com/ I'd
recommend him to anyone in UK.

For the front forks, I would recommend RaceTech gold valve
emulators / .95kg springs with 35mm sag. (Based on 185-200lbs
weight and moderately positive riding style.) Don't go with
RaceTech's low sag figure, you'll upset the geometry of what is
basically a sport-TOURER. Remember stock springs were only .5kg
and 50-odd mm sag, that's why the stock front is so mushy.

Mine is perfect now. Rode 90 miles each way through B-roads from
SW London over the Sussex Downs to Arundel Castle yesterday. All
riders in the groups were advanced-riding instructors/observers.
What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
debris and road conditions. And that's still with the stock
BT054s.

Regards

Alec

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

--- In [hidden email], "Alec Gore" <e-mail@a...> wrote:

> Mine is perfect now. Rode 90 miles each way through B-roads from
> SW London over the Sussex Downs to Arundel Castle yesterday. All
> riders in the groups were advanced-riding instructors/observers.
> What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
> debris and road conditions. And that's still with the stock
> BT054s.
>
> Regards
>
> Alec

Alec,
      I want to read your post once you get better tyres on your
machine...
Tom D.

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: Re: Ohlins Springs for the Trophy

Alec Gore
I know, but then I'd have no reason to keep the Ascot TT ;0)

Regards

Alec

> > What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
> debris and
> > road conditions. And that's still with the stock BT054s.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Alec
>

> Alec,
>       I want to read your post once you get better tyres on
> your machine...
> Tom D.

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Ohlins Springs for the Trophy

Tom D.

LOL!!!

--- In [hidden email], "Alec Gore" <e-mail@a...> wrote:

> I know, but then I'd have no reason to keep the Ascot TT ;0)
>
> Regards
>
> Alec
>
> > > What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
> > debris and
> > > road conditions. And that's still with the stock BT054s.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Alec
> >

> > Alec,
> >       I want to read your post once you get better tyres on
> > your machine...
> > Tom D.

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]