New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

12

New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I recently acquired a 2002 Trophy from a guy who needed it gone. Starts immediately in neutral, settles into a nice idle, everything sounds right, but as soon as I click into gear, the engine cuts off. A local Triumph shop said it sounded like a faulty side stand switch, as did every forum site I explored. So I replaced it, but to no avail. Bike still has the same issue. Called my local shop back, and they explored a little more, and said to check the clutch safety switch. Yet reading up on that, the symptoms don't seem to be the same. Won't start in gear either, by the way.
A friend suggested I remove and clean the carbs, which I have not done due to the fact that the bike starts and runs fine, until I engage a gear.
Any suggestions?
Thanks so much!
Rob

RE: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I had a similar issue that turned out to be a short or bad connection in the main wiring loom to ECU plug - I would suggest going through all the electrics and checking for loose connections, bad earths or shorts. Make sure everything is clean and tight and then coat with some dialectic grease. Bit of a job but very worth it in the long run.

Jim Dawson

Accelerate PC

Computer Sales & Service

Ph 09-2688358 / 027-6294815

R: [TriumphTrophy] New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

For sure is the clutch safety switch. try to bypass this secure.

Best regards

Giovanni Polegato
Logistics Department

Az. Agr. SENTIER s.s.
via Sentier, 34 Fraz. Mosnigo
31010 Moriago della Battaglia -TV-
C.F e P.IVA 01196300261
Tel. + 39 0438 89 14 52
Fax + 39 0438 89 26 62
Cell. + 39 393 9148415
www.sentier.it <blocked::blocked::http://www.sentier.it/>
 <blocked::blocked::mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]

  _____

untitled.bmp (42K) Download Attachment

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Yes, check the clutch switch!
I'm surprised you haven't done it as someone has suggested that could be the problem and they could well be right.
It's such a simple thing to check, I'm surprised you are looking for more 'solutions to the problem' before performing this simple task.
Ken Hastie

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Welcome and congratulations. One thing you must do is remove the neutral switch, insert a 1/8" or 3/16" common (flat blade) screwdriver in the switch hole and scrape the disc clean. You see, the neutral switch makes contact with that tab to ground and complete the circuit. Over the years that plate or tab gets a patina on it from the constant oil bath and reduces it's conductivity to the point it may not confirm the bike is actually in neutral. This may not be your total problem, but it's a safe bet that it needs to be done. You will also want to clean the clutch switch. Try the bike after the neutral switch cleaning, to see if it resolved the issue, but clean the clutch switch anyway.

 While you're at it, clean the contacts for the alarm jumper - rectangular plug in front of the battery with the single black wire looping between 2 contacts on the plug. Open the plug and clean those contacts.

 Cheers,
 Glenn

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Neutral switch, thanks Glenn, you're the only one here who's mentioned that item. I'll go through it, for sure.
Thanks,
Rob Brooks

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 4:01 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Welcome and congratulations. One thing you must do is remove the neutral switch, insert a 1/8" or 3/16" common (flat blade) screwdriver in the switch hole and scrape the disc clean. You see, the neutral switch makes contact with that tab to ground and complete the circuit. Over the years that plate or tab gets a patina on it from the constant oil bath and reduces it's conductivity to the point it may not confirm the bike is actually in neutral. This may not be your total problem, but it's a safe bet that it needs to be done. You will also want to clean the clutch switch. Try the bike after the neutral switch cleaning, to see if it resolved the issue, but clean the clutch switch anyway.
>

> While you're at it, clean the contacts for the alarm jumper - rectangular plug in front of the battery with the single black wire looping between 2 contacts on the plug. Open the plug and clean those contacts.
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Ken, the reasons for not starting with the clutch safety switch is, prelim studies of the problem, as well as consulting my local Triumph dealership, all indicated the side stand switch. Even after that didn't fix it, the dealership techs mentioned the clutch switch to me, but then ruled it out, saying its a different set of symptoms.
Sorry to "surprise" you, but being new to the Trophy, I'm learning this as I'm doing it. Which is why I'm consulting Trophy veterans like you guys.
Rob Brooks

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 2:00 AM, Ken Hastie [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, check the clutch switch!
>
> I'm surprised you haven't done it as someone has suggested that could be the problem and they could well be right.
>
> It's such a simple thing to check, I'm surprised you are looking for more 'solutions to the problem' before performing this simple task.
>
> Ken Hastie
>

> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Thanks Glenn, you gave me several good things to check.
Rob

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 4:01 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Welcome and congratulations. One thing you must do is remove the neutral switch, insert a 1/8" or 3/16" common (flat blade) screwdriver in the switch hole and scrape the disc clean. You see, the neutral switch makes contact with that tab to ground and complete the circuit. Over the years that plate or tab gets a patina on it from the constant oil bath and reduces it's conductivity to the point it may not confirm the bike is actually in neutral. This may not be your total problem, but it's a safe bet that it needs to be done. You will also want to clean the clutch switch. Try the bike after the neutral switch cleaning, to see if it resolved the issue, but clean the clutch switch anyway.
>

> While you're at it, clean the contacts for the alarm jumper - rectangular plug in front of the battery with the single black wire looping between 2 contacts on the plug. Open the plug and clean those contacts.
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Congratulations! Great advice gents! My two cents would be to cut those two
alarm wires and solder then together. Also as stated carefully clean that
big plug header at the brain. Employ a contact enhancing product while your
at it. It sounds like the safety loop has somehow lost contact or has even
been miswired. To where putting her into gear cuts the ground to the brain.
My best guess is a bad contact at that connection header for the brain.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a good running machine.

Best wishes,
Samuel
96 BBBB PB
NOLA

On Thursday, June 23, 2016, 'Sentier - Logistica' [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For sure is the clutch safety switch. try to bypass this secure.
>
> Best regards
>

> *Giovanni Polegato*
> *Logistics Department*
>
> *Az. Agr. SENTIER s.s.*
> *via Sentier, 34 Fraz. Mosnigo*
> *31010 Moriago della Battaglia -TV-*
> *C.F e P.IVA 01196300261*
> *Tel. + 39 0438 89 14 52*
> *Fax + 39 0438 89 26 62*
> *Cell. + 39 393 9148415*
> *www.sentier.it*
> *[hidden email]*
>

> ------------------------------
> *Da:* [hidden email]

Great advice, from each of you. I appreciate all the points to check. I'll get on these, for sure. Any more tips will be valued, and I'll update here as I go. Thanks, fellas,
 Rob

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Hey Glenn, I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the clutch safety switch, to no avail. Still kills engine as soon as I engage 1st gear. You mentioned the neutral switch. I'm going there next. Can you tell me where it is on the bike? Right now, I have no maint manual on it, but have a Haynes one on order. Point me to the neutral switch, and I'll go there next.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, as I'm not a great mechanic, and know even less about electronics.
Thanks,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 4:01 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Welcome and congratulations. One thing you must do is remove the neutral switch, insert a 1/8" or 3/16" common (flat blade) screwdriver in the switch hole and scrape the disc clean. You see, the neutral switch makes contact with that tab to ground and complete the circuit. Over the years that plate or tab gets a patina on it from the constant oil bath and reduces it's conductivity to the point it may not confirm the bike is actually in neutral. This may not be your total problem, but it's a safe bet that it needs to be done. You will also want to clean the clutch switch. Try the bike after the neutral switch cleaning, to see if it resolved the issue, but clean the clutch switch anyway.
>

> While you're at it, clean the contacts for the alarm jumper - rectangular plug in front of the battery with the single black wire looping between 2 contacts on the plug. Open the plug and clean those contacts.
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200 [1 Attachment]

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Rob,

 I attached the page from the Haynes manual. If you can select the pop out to put the picture in it's own tab or window, you might be able to zoom it to see it better. Anyway, the switch is between the water pump housing and the sprocket cover - sort of above the shift lever and side stand switch. It has one wire plugged onto it. You'll want to take off the left side fairing for access. Make sure you have the bike on the centre stand. You might lose a bit of oil when you take it out.

 Good luck,
 Glenn

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Rob,

 If I can add my twopennethworth here...

 You'll need a 14mm long reach socket to get the Neutral Switch out.
 Only "lightly" abrade both Neutral switch and Selector block contacts with the end of the screwdriver..

 There is also the KILL and Sidestand Switch contacts to consider.... Take the right-hand switch cluster apart to expose the Rear of the KILL Switch and there will be a couple of tiny holes in the switch body. Squirt some Contact Cleaner in there (such as Servisol Super 10) and "exercise" the Kill Switch about 50 times. Re-assemble. Contact Cleaner is also good for other connector pins/sockets and the Clutch switch
 The S/S switch can get gummed up inside. You can't actually get to it's contacts but cleaning and greasing the plunger inside the rubber boot will help keep moisture away.
 I would also check the FUSE Blade contacts for oxidisation/pitting. Clean them up, tweak the blades slightly off-centre to give better contact in the holders and re-insert. Contact Cleaner is good here also..

 When you do eventually get it sorted, get into the habit of starting the Bike by first switching on the Ignition and exercising the Kill Switch once or twice before attempting the Start and always pull the Clutch Lever IN to start the bike. This reduces the LOAD on the Starter Circuit. Always stop the engine using the Ignition Key and not the Kill Switch - it's for Emergencies Only...

 Hope this helps,
 Cheers
 Gordon 3xBBB
 Stroud, Gloucestershire U.K.

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Ed J. Says: Why not just slip the wire off of the neutral switch and
ground it with a clip wire and see if the problem goes away? If it does
then you know which switch the witch is in! ;-) !

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Howdy Pilgrim, and welcome to one of the smallest "Fraternities, in the world, that is all around the world.
  I’m "Poppa Jack", and I bought a BBBB (Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang!) Triples are BBBs (Bang, Bang, Bang, silence). You’ll want to remember that! So, when Triumph returned to America, in 1995, I felt I wanted to put my money where my mouth has been since the 1991re-creating the logo. I fell in love with Brit bikes when I was much too young to understand why. I had seen several "Oldy Marquis" attempt to sell clones with poor success. "Indian", for an example. I bought a child’s mini-bike that legally bore the name on the tank. I’d hoped that "Somebody" was trying to resurrect the old brand. So, I thought I might have just pitched in to just keep the Grand Old Name alive. Triumph did it right, and created a dealer network, before bringing the bikes over. I saw the whole line-up at a tiny shop in Long Beach, Ca., owned by an old friend, Matt Capri, and his beautiful wife, Linda (RIP). He was doing BMW biz back in those days. and he had just gotten the Triumph franchise. His shop did all any any work my old ’79 R100rt needed, that I couldn’t do. I walked into his shop, and saw the new "Modern" Triumphs, and that "Brit-Bike" feeling just came tearing into my soul. I had to have one. I got to ride every model, and felt totally at home on that ’95 Trophy 900. I went back to the shop, and set about owning one, and I learned that they did make a "BBBB" Trophy, in BRG as well. I was ready to ride one out "that day", But the promise of that much Horse-Power, and Torque! It was a "Magnificent Motorbike", by absolutely everyone that came across us seemed to say, "I used to have one of those", and a new friend was instantly made. I could ride into the most hellish looking bar parking lots, and I got greeted with smiles and a million questions. I saw many grown men nearly come to tears, upon hearing that "Trumpet" was back, and badass. I have a question, is your side stand deployed when you put it into gear? Cleaning, and adjusting that sidestand switch would be a good start. Don’t just go out and start buying parts yet. We’ve learned that we need to fix one thing at a time to really discover all the little peculiarities, that out precious machines came with. There is a real list of fixes most of us needed to do to get the best out of these treasure/beasts. Take the time to read all the fax (facts?) file, so if and when a "Mod" is the answer to a problem, we’ve done it, and have some likely tips, for you. My guess is that most if not all the "Mods" we have come to deem "Necessary" on our particular models, my guess is that they have already been completed. Where are you, and where did you get the bike? We may know the bike! You likely need to go thru all the "safety-switches", that the little old Aunties, who know nothing about our machines, read a gory tale in the Enquirer, and the next thing you know it’s the law, that we must wear helmets. I rode old H-D Chops, and everything else without helmets. I would choose to spend my meager wages on food, gasoline, and a place to get it out of the Sun & Snow. You should have seen all of the ("!!!") warning stickers on my bike. After 22 years of ownership, I was crawling around under the bike, and I’l be damned if I didn’t come across another I’d not seen before! Anyhow, In most cases it is a dirty connection or contacts. I would first suspect the sidestand switch. You may need to disconnect it, and test out that switch with an ohmmeter. Usually it’s pretty straight-fwd to disconnect, and read out that switch.
 Kindest regards,
   Poppa Jack

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Rob Brooks [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hey Glenn, I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the clutch safety switch, to no avail. Still kills engine as soon as I engage 1st gear. You mentioned the neutral switch. I'm going there next. Can you tell me where it is on the bike? Right now, I have no maint manual on it, but have a Haynes one on order. Point me to the neutral switch, and I'll go there next.
> Please excuse my lack of knowledge, as I'm not a great mechanic, and know even less about electronics.
> Thanks,
> Rob
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 23, 2016, at 4:01 AM, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>> Welcome and congratulations. One thing you must do is remove the neutral switch, insert a 1/8" or 3/16" common (flat blade) screwdriver in the switch hole and scrape the disc clean. You see, the neutral switch makes contact with that tab to ground and complete the circuit. Over the years that plate or tab gets a patina on it from the constant oil bath and reduces it's conductivity to the point it may not confirm the bike is actually in neutral. This may not be your total problem, but it's a safe bet that it needs to be done. You will also want to clean the clutch switch. Try the bike after the neutral switch cleaning, to see if it resolved the issue, but clean the clutch switch anyway.
>>

>> While you're at it, clean the contacts for the alarm jumper - rectangular plug in front of the battery with the single black wire looping between 2 contacts on the plug. Open the plug and clean those contacts.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Glenn

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Poppa Jack, pleasure to make your acquaintance! Thanks for the tips and insights. I too, have a nearly life-long love affair with Triumphs. My father rode them as a young man in the late 50s-early 60s, then returned to them in the 70s-80s, taught me how to ride on a '72 650 TR1. I've owned a '99 955 Sprint ST for 4 years, before picking up this '02 Trophy 1200. A friend had it, couldn't fix her issues, so the Trophy sat in his garage a year before I made him an offer on it. Got it for cheap, to take a crack at it.
I'm a "Southern Yank", living in the foothills of north Georgia, USA. "God's country" for great riding.
Actually, already spent a few $$ to install a new side stand switch, as the old one had been cut, spliced, and taped back together for some reason. That didn't fix her dying upon gear engagement, so I cleaned the clutch safety switch, and another small connection on the extreme lower left side, just forward of the side stand switch- neutral switch?? No luck so far, but ruling things out as I go. I'm not the best mechanic, even less versed in electronics, so taking it slow. Got a Haynes manual coming this week, as the bike had no manuals with it. Hoping it helps.
Keep sending suggestions my way! Eventually, we'll solve this riddle!
Rob Brooks

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>>

>>> While you're at it, clean the contacts for the alarm jumper - rectangular plug in front of the battery with the single black wire looping between 2 contacts on the plug. Open the plug and clean those contacts.

Thanks Gordon, a "twopennethworth" is always welcomed!
Rob Brooks
Dacula, Georgia, USA
1xBBB
1xBBBB
1xV4
1xstraight4

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 26, 2016, at 6:10 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob,
>

> If I can add my twopennethworth here...
>
> You'll need a 14mm long reach socket to get the Neutral Switch out.
> Only "lightly" abrade both Neutral switch and Selector block contacts with the end of the screwdriver..
>
> There is also the KILL and Sidestand Switch contacts to consider.... Take the right-hand switch cluster apart to expose the Rear of the KILL Switch and there will be a couple of tiny holes in the switch body. Squirt some Contact Cleaner in there (such as Servisol Super 10) and "exercise" the Kill Switch about 50 times. Re-assemble. Contact Cleaner is also good for other connector pins/sockets and the Clutch switch
> The S/S switch can get gummed up inside. You can't actually get to it's contacts but cleaning and greasing the plunger inside the rubber boot will help keep moisture away.
> I would also check the FUSE Blade contacts for oxidisation/pitting. Clean them up, tweak the blades slightly off-centre to give better contact in the holders and re-insert. Contact Cleaner is good here also..
>
> When you do eventually get it sorted, get into the habit of starting the Bike by first switching on the Ignition and exercising the Kill Switch once or twice before attempting the Start and always pull the Clutch Lever IN to start the bike. This reduces the LOAD on the Starter Circuit. Always stop the engine using the Ignition Key and not the Kill Switch - it's for Emergencies Only...
>
> Hope this helps,
> Cheers
> Gordon 3xBBB
> Stroud, Gloucestershire U.K.

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Hey Rob!
  Well with your experience with the ’99 Sprint, you won’t be diving into unfamiliar waters. That’s good! You can buy a manual at Amazon.com, you have a bike with English electrics, so be suspicious of everything related to "crimp-on" connectors that they use. I think we have a wiring diagram for your bike in the "facts" file. Take it slowly, isolate each stretch of wire, and test it for a short to ground. It should be an easy fix. First, get a manual Bra! Glad you’re here Man.
 Kindest regards,
   Poppa Jack

> [...]
>>  Kindest regards,
>>    Poppa Jack
>>> On Jun 25, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Rob Brooks [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hey Glenn, I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the clutch safety switch, to no avail. Still kills engine as soon as I engage 1st gear. You mentioned the neutral switch. I'm going there next. Can you tell me where it is on the bike? Right now, I have no maint manual on it, but have a Haynes one on order. Point me to the neutral switch, and I'll go there next.
>>> Please excuse my lack of knowledge, as I'm not a great mechanic, and know even less about electronics.

Hi Rob

Just having a look through your issue.

I would be pretty confident the problem is to do with the side stand switch circuit, not necessarily the switch itself. The old saying with fault finding is, the longer you are look for the problem, the simpler the problem will be because it is right under your nose.
If I was trying to find the problem my reasoning would be:
A) The issue has been there since before you bought it so you don’t know what has been done  in the past so assume nothing.
B) Someone has had a go at it previously as can be seen by the ratted switch,
C) The cutting out of the engine as soon as you engage gear can only be caused by the side stand safety circuit (the clutch safety switch failure would not let you start the bike and the neutral switch safety is only activated when the side stand thinks it is down.)
D) You have put a new switch in and the fault is exactly the same (so you have eliminated the switch)
The only thing left (no matter how unlikely) is the wiring of the side stand switch is either faulty or not connected correctly.
[cid:image002.jpg@01D1D18A.998A6150]
 Here is a present. This is the relevant wiring diagram for the Trophy from VIN 29156. I don’t know what your VIN number is but there are variations in the wiring over the model range. If you let me know what your VIN number is I can give you the relevant diagram. (11 is the side stand switch relay and 28 is the side stand switch. 22 is the neutral switch). The side stand switch is shown in the “up” position.
First step is to make sure the wiring is connected correctly. From your history I would suspect something is not connected correctly. The colour coding is reasonably accurate if the wiring is as per original. I would also be looking closely at the wiring to make sure there are no breaks or shorting to earth etc.
Let me know how you go and I can possibly help more after you check the connections.
Let me know your VIN number. Also let me know if you can’t see the circuit diagram.
Regards
John (in the land of Aus.  GO JACK!!!)

image002.jpg (67K) Download Attachment

Re: New owner of 2002 Trophy 1200

Rob

Relevant to my last post with the circuit diagram. The side stand relay itself may also be faulty. Assume nothing.

JohnM (in the land of Aus)