K&N

DUKESTER
I have been devastated to learn that my K&N purchase is for naught.
Now i have one in the post headed to my home.
What to do? I have read most of the post prior concerning the K&N and my only idea for adaptation is to put a sheet of bounty paper towel in front of the intake side and hope for the best. LOL.

Anyway friends i shall drown my sorrow in some 12 yr. old single malt this evening.

Cheers Everyone,
Malcolm Duke
Hurst,Tx.
2003 Trophy 1200(Sunset Red)

Re: K&N

Red Daytona1200
Maybe I'm a stupid American, but I do not understand your concern with the K&N? Nor your banter back n forth

for days over the stupid air box and filter and carb issues.

The K&N filter is the superior filter. It fits the box just fine, flows way better than stock. Carbs are easy to
pull on the Trophy or Daytona, and a jet kit, along with the filter and proper jetting, transform this engine into
a beautiful thing. Better idle, better mid, much better top end, smoother overall. Not my guess, own 2 Daytona's

and 2 Trophy's, ALL are K&N filtered, and jetted properly, and will stomp a stock machine, while running smoother
and better. My God, put the K&N filter in, pull the carbs and install adjustable needles and proper mains, and be
done jacking with it already! JMHO, lol.

________________________________

Re: K&N

DUKESTER
My brother Jeff,
Thanks for the sage advice. I shall endeavor to do as you have suggested. The bad part is  I have no mechanical ability whatsoever. My local stealership will get the work. Will have to save up for that. Fortunately for me the V Strom 1000 in my garage makes a great spare ride.
Malcolm Duke
Hurst Tx

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 28, 2014, at 7:41 PM, jeff caine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe I'm a stupid American, but I do not understand your concern with the K&N? Nor your banter back n forth
> for days over the stupid air box and filter and carb issues.
> The K&N filter is the superior filter. It fits the box just fine, flows way better than stock. Carbs are easy to
> pull on the Trophy or Daytona, and a jet kit, along with the filter and proper jetting, transform this engine into
> a beautiful thing. Better idle, better mid, much better top end, smoother overall. Not my guess, own 2 Daytona's
> and 2 Trophy's, ALL are K&N filtered, and jetted properly, and will stomp a stock machine, while running smoother
> and better. My God, put the K&N filter in, pull the carbs and install adjustable needles and proper mains, and be
> done jacking with it already! JMHO, lol.

Re: K&N

Red Daytona1200
You cannot do that............they will RAPE you.........I can only imagine what they would charge you for that.
Have you no friends or bike buddies who could assist you. Parts are less than 200 bucks, they shall whack you for
Lord knows what!!!
If your not capable of pulling the carbs and jetting them, you CANNOT run the K&N filter. She will not
run proper. Just put in a stock filter and leave carbs alone.

________________________________
Thanks for the sage advice. I shall endeavor to do as you have suggested. The bad part is  I have no mechanical ability whatsoever. My local stealership will get the work. Will have to save up for that. Fortunately for me the V Strom 1000 in my garage makes a great spare ride.
Malcolm Duke
Hurst Tx

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 28, 2014, at 7:41 PM, jeff caine <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Maybe I'm a stupid American, but I do not understand your concern with the K&N? Nor your banter back n forth
>
>for days over the stupid air box and filter and carb issues.
>
>The K&N filter is the superior filter. It fits the box just fine, flows way better than stock. Carbs are easy to
>pull on the Trophy or Daytona, and a jet kit, along with the filter and proper jetting, transform this engine into
>a beautiful thing. Better idle, better mid, much better top end, smoother overall. Not my guess, own 2 Daytona's
>
>and 2 Trophy's, ALL are K&N filtered, and jetted properly, and will stomp a stock machine, while running smoother
>and better. My God, put the K&N filter in, pull the carbs and install adjustable needles and proper mains, and be
>done jacking with it already! JMHO, lol.
>

>________________________________

RE: K&N

gandrews2
Hi Malcolm, Clean and re-oil the stock filter. Sell the unopened K&N filter on Ebay. Or better yet, start learning how to do some wrenching on your bike. Satisfying know you can do it.
 Lots of help is available here.
 Greg Andrews
 '96 900 BRG
 97,000 smiles

Re: K&N

nort75mk3
My 96' Trident ran fine with stock jetting and a  K&N  filter.........

Tim

In a message dated 1/28/2014 8:33:58 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

If your not capable of pulling the carbs and jetting  them, you CANNOT run
the K&N filter. She will not
run proper. Just put  in a stock filter and leave carbs alone.

RE: K&N

wickedstuff
Malcolm, reduce the air flow with the K&N as you speak of, or contact K&N to ask for a jet kit to suit their filter, or go dyno-jet or sigma-jet kits, but your up for carb strip down, could be easy to list the new filter on ebay and go back to oem.

Re: K&N

wickedstuff
Malcolm, have a look in some online classified and ebay for carb services, some times you get guys who rebuild carbs for a living do cash jobs at home and its a ton cheaper, working on carbs isnt everybodies cuppa tea, so if you would rather pay some one to do it? then you remove the carbs off the bike and get some one skilled to do it at their home for cash.

Re: K&N

Stephen Johnson
In my humble opinion, the K&N filter is a waste of money and does not do an adequate job of filtering out dirt from your motor.  As a motor cycle mechanic, I have rebuilt many carburetors and without exception I have found dirt in the carburetors on bikes equipped with K&N filters.  I do not trust a filter I can see through.  A K&N filter will flow more air than the stock filter (See comment about being able to see through it) however, to have a positive performance result, you will need to increase jetting size and add a free flowing exhaust system to balance flow in and out of your engine.  This is fine if you are using the bike for racing but not much advantage on the street and your fuel mileage will suffer.

 Cheers,

 Steve

Re: K&N

nort75mk3
PLUS +1 ,,,,,,,,,,,

In a message dated 1/29/2014 1:57:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Maybe I'm a stupid American, but I do not understand your concern  with the
K&N? Nor your banter back n forth

for  days over the stupid air box and filter and carb issues.

The  K&N filter is the superior filter. It fits the box just fine, flows
way  better than stock. Carbs are easy to
pull  on the Trophy or Daytona, and a jet kit, along with the filter and
proper  jetting, transform this engine into
a  beautiful thing. Better idle, better mid, much better top end, smoother
overall. Not my guess, own 2 Daytona's

and  2 Trophy's, ALL are K&N filtered, and jetted properly, and will stomp
a  stock machine, while running smoother
and  better. My God, put the K&N filter in, pull the carbs and install
adjustable needles and proper mains, and be
done  jacking with it already! JMHO, lol.

Re: K&N

wickedstuff
just of interest, has anybody removed the airbox completely and fitted K&N ''style'' carb cone type of air filters, one per carb, performance should improve with jetting, but im not sure on the dust factor.

Re: K&N

Samuel Crider
Well, I agree with both. If you do the carb mods, the K&N is the only
choice. As for premature wear caused by lack of intake filtration. Almost
every engine I've  encountered locally with a K&N installed.
Suffered at a minimum with completely worn out carbs. Imho, the cause
generally can be traced to the downstream service personal. Who have a
tendency to clean the filter and not replace the special tacky oil.
Nevertheless, the question that arises is..... What product, if any should
be used when cleaning and reinstalling the oem filter?

Enjoy the ride,

Samuel