K&N filters again.

12

K&N filters again.

samthesidecar
I've done a quick search and didn't find anything.

Has anyone sitted three (or four) K&N universal filters to a Trophy? Must make carb removal a doddle.
If yes what if any re-jetting was required?

Thanks,
Sam.

Re: K&N filters again.

apsllp@bellsouth.net
Do not use K&N filters, they will screw up your mixtures and jetting.  Been covered many times on here.

Bob Clark
96 BRG T-Bird 900
2001 Sunset Red Trophy 1200

Re: K&N filters again.

Ed Johnson
Bob's Right! In answer to your question; YES! It has been done! However
it messes up a lot more in these CV carbs than just the jets. Unless you
have GURU with a Dyno and lots of slides, needles, emulsion tubes, and
jets any convenience you may gain will be lost in performance IMHO!
*Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy 1200**
On 3/9/2014 11:40 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Do not use K&N filters, they will screw up your mixtures and jetting.
>  Been covered many times on here.
>
> Bob Clark
> 96 BRG T-Bird 900
> 2001 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

---

Re: K&N filters again.

samthesidecar
OK point taken, haven't played with CV carbs.
Done the airbox mod which makes things easy anyway.
Regards,
Sam,

Re: K&N filters again.

tony.dagostino
Maybe I'm an outlier but I had the dealer install a K&N 90K miles ago when it was in for warranty work.  All they did was pop off the the low-speed jet adustment covers and turn them out ~2.5 turns for 3% CO at idle.  Never any issues.

RE: K&N filters again.

Kevin Dix
I haven't gotten involved in a post in a long time.

In regard to the K&N filter change, I put mine in years ago, on my '99
Trophy 1200,  never altered a position on anything on the carbs and it
didn't change anything on the running of the engine. I just knew that my
engine was better protected from airborne contaminates.   I have used many
of them on everything from motorcycles to autos, to my diesel Excursion and
never had I needed to alter the mixture.

KDix

Re: K&N filters again.

nort75mk3
+1......here too......my 96' trident some 70K ago......none issue.

...Tim

In a message dated 3/10/2014 2:11:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I haven’t gotten involved in a post in a long time.
In regard to the K&N filter change, I put mine in years  ago, on my ’99
Trophy 1200,  never altered a position on anything on the  carbs and it didn’t
change anything on the running of the engine. I just knew  that my engine
was better protected from airborne contaminates.   I  have used many of them
on everything from motorcycles to autos, to my diesel  Excursion and never
had I needed to alter the mixture.
KDix

Re: K&N filters again.

techshare26
When you say "screw up", is it just a temporary problem until the K&N is removed? I think I have since lost or thrown away my old paper filter, and have been driving the bike until I can afford buying the whole OEM box/filter assembly again. I plan on doing this in another month or so, which will probably just be a few more short rides on the bike.

RE: K&N filters again.

techshare26
If you mean do I have a K&N installed, then yes I do. '97 900. I'd say the advice of not using it , is good. The bike doesn't seem to accelerate as smoothly or run as well, and even though I rarely drive fast, I think the top end is getting limited by this (or something else). Bike tops out at about 100 MPH now at full rev (didn't check RPM's that night).

RE: K&N filters again.

wickedstuff
just of interest how do your spark plugs look after a long highway run and have you ever had a C02 meter stuck up the pipe to see what its emissions are running like, ie. much leaner than std.

RE: K&N filters again.

wickedstuff
some thing else is going on there, you may have a partly blocked jet/s if your not running as smooth and not accelerating as well, in most cases if the carbs are running too lean the bikes goes like hell and higher top speed then burn holes in pistons or exhaust valves. get the engine up to operating temp and get a compression test done by some one who knows what they are doing and start from there.

Re: K&N filters again.

Stephen Johnson
Kevin,

You may not have had to change anything in the tune of your Trophy 1200
with a K&N air filter but your engine was definitely not better protected
from airborne contaminates.  There is a reason K&N air filters flow more
air, they are less restrictive.  You can see through them!  I service a lot
of motorcycles in my job as a mechanic and always see dirt on the "clean"
side of the K&N filter and in carburetors and throttle bodies, but never
with the stock filter in place.

Steve

RE: K&N filters again.

techshare26
My guess is it might be running too rich. I have the dreaded rusting gas tank , with pinholes in now two spots. However, I have totally plugged the major hole, and now have nothing but a hint of fuel escaping at the other spot, which I plan to fix soon.

 Even so, the other day I drove less than 40 miles, and probably burned through nearly a tank of gas. I wonder if this is some combination with the K&N , or if I need to turn the air screws in a different way. I can't remember exactly, but I think I turned them out about 2-2.5 turns

RE: K&N filters again.

apsllp@bellsouth.net
The issue with the K&N filter is not addressed with mixture screws.  To make it work right, you need new jets (2 per carb) of different sizes, new emunsion tubes (1 per carb
B, a different taper needle (1 per carb), aftermarket custom tuned 4 into one exhaust  and access to a dynamometer for about a day.

In short, the K&N can work,  IF you have the time, tools, money and can retain your sanity long enough to make it all work.

Most of us found the difference (return on investment) not to be worth it for a reliable bike driven on the street. Some have been messing with them for years and not got it right. As I understand it Cosworth was engaged to tune this engine design.  Maybe you can do better.  K&N's factory support didn't do any tuning.  Only a check to see the element fits in the airbox.

Call them directly and ask to see the data and the S/N Trophy they used for testing. They can't produce it, as the testing did not happen.  The data is not there.

If you can get the data (and recipe to make it work validated on a dyno),  PLEASE SHARE it with the group

Your results may vary.

Bob Clark
01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
96 T-Bird 900 BRG

My guess is it might be running too rich. I have the dreaded rusting gas tank , with pinholes in now two spots. However, I have totally plugged the major hole, and now have nothing but a hint of fuel escaping at the other spot, which I plan to fix soon. Even so, the other day I drove less than 40 miles, and probably burned through nearly a tank of gas. I wonder if this is some combination with the K&N , or if I need to turn the air screws in a different way. I can't remember exactly, but I think I turned them out about 2-2.5 turns

RE: K&N filters again.

Ed Johnson
GREAT POST BOB!
On 3/15/2014 9:03 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The issue with the K&N filter is not addressed with mixture screws.
>  To make it work right, you need new jets (2 per carb) of different
> sizes, new emunsion tubes (1 per carb
> B, a different taper needle (1 per carb), aftermarket custom tuned 4
> into one exhaust  and access to a dynamometer for about a day.
>
> In short, the K&N can work,  IF you have the time, tools, money and
> can retain your sanity long enough to make it all work.
>
> Most of us found the difference (return on investment) not to be worth
> it for a reliable bike driven on the street. Some have been messing
> with them for years and not got it right. As I understand it Cosworth
> was engaged to tune this engine design.  Maybe you can do better.
>  K&N's factory support didn't do any tuning.  Only a check to see the
> element fits in the airbox.
>
> Call them directly and ask to see the data and the S/N Trophy they
> used for testing. They can't produce it, as the testing did not
> happen.  The data is not there.
>
> If you can get the data (and recipe to make it work validated on a
> dyno),  PLEASE SHARE it with the group
>
> Your results may vary.
>
> Bob Clark
> 01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
> 96 T-Bird 900 BRG
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

techshare26
Geesh, with all the bad press on the K&N , I bet NOBODY will be selling their OEM airbox/filter combos. I'd like to buy one used with some life left in the filter for say $30. I'll even throw in my airbox , with the like new K&N filter installed. Won't hold my breath for any takers :) haha

RE: K&N filters again.

gandrews2
Hi Techshare, I'm not sure if you are joking. I'd trade my stock Trophy air filter for a K&N any day. Not sure what you mean about the air box. Sure, I'd like to have a spare air box if the little outside screw holes are okay. I'm not too concerned about the captured nuts, if missing no big deal. Greg Andrews
 Apple Valley, Calif.

RE: K&N filters again.

Paul-368
Have been running a K&N on mine for a good few years with no problems at all….

Paul

RE: K&N filters again.

techshare26
If yours is good for my '97 900, and there is some life left on the element, let's work out a deal. The K&N filter alone is , I think, about $40 anyway. According to everything I've read, the element and the box are a package deal, and I've not been able to figure out how, if possible, the element can simply be purchased and replaced.My current box is split in the back, but the retaining screws, etc. are in good shape. There are only three parts - front , back, and plastic frame piece in the middle. Again, I don't know what the other parts are that people talk about here, but I assume they are part of the stock filter element, which I no longer have.

 As far as the K&N problems, I'm just going by the posts here, and the fact I can't exactly remember how the bike ran years ago. In any case, I think it might be causing an issue in my low/mid range, so I want to take it out and go back to stock. Let me know, and you can mail me [hidden email]. Thanks!

RE: K&N filters again.

gandrews2
Hi Techshare,  I haven't figured out how to access your personal email.
 It used to be easy to send an email to a member before Yahoo changed the format. We can't even type out our email, it gets blocked. I think my home email will go thru but don't use the spaces. gandrews2  @  verizon.  net
 I have an extra good stock filter. I'll send it to you. Then after you get the filter take yours out and send the K&N to me. No sense in you running around with no air filter.
 Greg Andrews
12