Just joined

Lonesome
Hi. For my sins I've ended up with a '95 Trophy 1200. It still looks decent after 43k and is a bit loose on motorways, but I'm hoping the 10psi in the front was the cause of that.
What strikes me is how massively undergeared it is. 4K @ 60mph, what's that all about? What do you guys use for front and back sprockets, it seems that +1 tooth is the only front option available :(

Re: Just joined

gandrews2
Welcome to the group, too bad the group is almost dead. Most of the Limeys switched over to Facebook and that was the beginning of the end. Most Trophy riders are older than 50. I guess the young kids want the rice burners. Our Trophys and the other models using this design are still great bikes. Going 150,000 miles is no problem, how many other bikes can do that. My brother's '95 900 got to 278,000 miles before his son in law let it die from lack of use. The recommended tire pressures are 36 / 41. My front tire had a funny wear pattern at those pressures, so now I set them up at 38 / 42. Don't let the bike just sit for weeks, the carbs will dry out and the idle fuel jet will get coated with varnish and some other junk. Ride it at least once a week. Greg Andrews
 Pinetop, Arizona
 98 Sprint

Re: Just joined

apsllp@bellsouth.net
I second Greg's sentiments. With 3 Triumphs in the barn, I keep stabil in the fuel tanks with Non Ethanol fuel in them all the time unless on a trip. Keep that tanks FULL! On a trip, I'll add some of Chevron's  "Techron" at the first fill up. I burn non ethanol fuel all I can.

Bob Clark
01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
96 BRG Thunderbird 900
2000 Tiger 855i

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Sep 29, 2019, 11:30 AM, at 11:30 AM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Welcome to the group, too bad the group is almost dead. Most of the
>Limeys switched over to Facebook and that was the beginning of the end.
>Most Trophy riders are older than 50. I guess the young kids want the
>rice burners. Our Trophys and the other models using this design are
>still great bikes. Going 150,000 miles is no problem, how many other
>bikes can do that. My brother's '95 900 got to 278,000 miles before his
>son in law let it die from lack of use. The recommended tire pressures
>are 36 / 41. My front tire had a funny wear pattern at those pressures,
>so now I set them up at 38 / 42. Don't let the bike just sit for weeks,
>the carbs will dry out and the idle fuel jet will get coated with
>varnish and some other junk. Ride it at least once a week. Greg Andrews
> Pinetop, Arizona
> 98 Sprint

Re: Just joined

David Webb
 Welcome to the group Lonesometwin!
In 6th gear, my 2002 Trophy 1200 is turning closer to 3K at 60mph.  Yours might be geared differently than mine.

If I remember correctly, the '95 Trophy might have the Daytona cams.  These give increased to-end power at the expense of some bottom-end.  With those cams, I'd be looking for somewhere in the 4K - 5K range at 60mph..  Later models have a more sedate set of cams.  If I ever needed to open the case on my bike, I'd consider exchanging the drive and driven gears for 6th in order to get 6th gear a bit taller for the interstate. (or scoot 6th to 5th and swap 5th ratios to make a new 6th...) 6th is a very slight underdrive and swapping the gears would make it a slight overdrive.  Sure, I'd need to downshift anytime I wanted to do anything, but I would be hoping to increase the short throw between 5th and 6th.  I could always add teeth to the back sprocket if I needed to down-gear a bit and I could use a slightly lower parking-lot idle speed anyways.
10psi on the front is scary.  I bet it felt like a marshmellow.  I check pressures weekly and set front to 38 and back to 42.  Use more than one pressure gauge to make sure you get a consistent reading until you trust the one you're using.  My tire chuck gauge reads more pressure than it delivers.
- Dave
    On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 03:01:14 PM EDT, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi. For my sins I've ended up with a '95 Trophy 1200. It still looks decent after 43k and is a bit loose on motorways, but I'm hoping the 10psi in the front was the cause of that.
What strikes me is how massively undergeared it is. 4K @ 60mph, what's that all about? What do you guys use for front and back sprockets, it seems that +1 tooth is the only front option available :(

Re: Just joined

Dan Zei
Welcome to the group, as sparse as it currently is.  What has been shared
already is great advise.  Greg and Bob have been around a long time and are
full of knowledge and solid advise.  Always happy to help.

Enjoy the bike!  Don't baby it, ride it hard.  They are wonderful.  I've
been from Nova Scotia to Vancouver Island, and lots of mountain riding in
between.  Many miles two up.  Never let me down.

Safe Riding and Blessings To All

Dan Zei
Washburn WI
1996 Trophy 1200

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM David Webb [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome to the group Lonesometwin!
>
> In 6th gear, my 2002 Trophy 1200 is turning closer to 3K at 60mph.  Yours
> might be geared differently than mine.
>
> If I remember correctly, the '95 Trophy might have the Daytona cams.
> These give increased to-end power at the expense of some bottom-end.  With
> those cams, I'd be looking for somewhere in the 4K - 5K range at 60mph.
> Later models have a more sedate set of cams.  If I ever needed to open the
> case on my bike, I'd consider exchanging the drive and driven gears for 6th
> in order to get 6th gear a bit taller for the interstate. (or scoot 6th to
> 5th and swap 5th ratios to make a new 6th...) 6th is a very slight
> underdrive and swapping the gears would make it a slight overdrive.  Sure,
> I'd need to downshift anytime I wanted to do anything, but I would be
> hoping to increase the short throw between 5th and 6th.  I could always add
> teeth to the back sprocket if I needed to down-gear a bit and I could use a
> slightly lower parking-lot idle speed anyways.
>
> 10psi on the front is scary.  I bet it felt like a marshmellow.  I check
> pressures weekly and set front to 38 and back to 42.  Use more than one
> pressure gauge to make sure you get a consistent reading until you trust
> the one you're using.  My tire chuck gauge reads more pressure than it
> delivers.
>
> - Dave
>
> On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 03:01:14 PM EDT, [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi. For my sins I've ended up with a '95 Trophy 1200. It still looks
> decent after 43k and is a bit loose on motorways, but I'm hoping the 10psi
> in the front was the cause of that.
> What strikes me is how massively undergeared it is. 4K @ 60mph, what's
> that all about? What do you guys use for front and back sprockets, it seems
> that +1 tooth is the only front option available :(

Re: Just joined

Brian Fitzsimons
Hi all,

I have a Corbin Saddle for my Triumph Trophy, that I am selling.  Also a Baglux tank cover and tank bag in Merlot Red.  Before I resort to flea bay, I thought I would offer to the group.....

If interested, please email me directly on [hidden email].

I got the Corbin from someone in the group in the US a number of years ago, and postage was not prohibitive......

Kind regards,

Brian

Dr Brian Fitzsimons
Guerir quelquefois, soulager souvent, consoler toujours.

0771 4376941

This message may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended Recipient, please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.  Please do not disclose, copy, or
distribute information in this e-mail, or take any action in reliance of its content.  To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

> On 30 Sep 2019, at 22:44, Dan Zei [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Welcome to the group, as sparse as it currently is.  What has been shared already is great advise.  Greg and Bob have been around a long time and are full of knowledge and solid advise.  Always happy to help.
>
> Enjoy the bike!  Don't baby it, ride it hard.  They are wonderful.  I've been from Nova Scotia to Vancouver Island, and lots of mountain riding in between.  Many miles two up.  Never let me down.
>
> Safe Riding and Blessings To All
>
> Dan Zei
> Washburn WI
> 1996 Trophy 1200
>
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM David Webb [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome to the group Lonesometwin!
>>
>> In 6th gear, my 2002 Trophy 1200 is turning closer to 3K at 60mph.  Yours might be geared differently than mine.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, the '95 Trophy might have the Daytona cams.  These give increased to-end power at the expense of some bottom-end.  With those cams, I'd be looking for somewhere in the 4K - 5K range at 60mph.  Later models have a more sedate set of cams.  If I ever needed to open the case on my bike, I'd consider exchanging the drive and driven gears for 6th in order to get 6th gear a bit taller for the interstate. (or scoot 6th to 5th and swap 5th ratios to make a new 6th...) 6th is a very slight underdrive and swapping the gears would make it a slight overdrive.  Sure, I'd need to downshift anytime I wanted to do anything, but I would be hoping to increase the short throw between 5th and 6th.  I could always add teeth to the back sprocket if I needed to down-gear a bit and I could use a slightly lower parking-lot idle speed anyways.
>>
>> 10psi on the front is scary.  I bet it felt like a marshmellow.  I check pressures weekly and set front to 38 and back to 42.  Use more than one pressure gauge to make sure you get a consistent reading until you trust the one you're using.  My tire chuck gauge reads more pressure than it delivers..
>>
>> - Dave
>>
>> On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 03:01:14 PM EDT, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi. For my sins I've ended up with a '95 Trophy 1200. It still looks decent after 43k and is a bit loose on motorways, but I'm hoping the 10psi in the front was the cause of that.
>> What strikes me is how massively undergeared it is. 4K @ 60mph, what's that all about? What do you guys use for front and back sprockets, it seems that +1 tooth is the only front option available :(

Re: Just joined

apsllp@bellsouth.net
I'd like to see a pictures of the Baglux Tank Cover and bag please. Asking prices?

What year is your Trophy?

Bob Clark
01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
Jacksonville, Florida
USA

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Sep 30, 2019, 6:50 PM, at 6:50 PM, "Brian Fitzsimons bfitzsimons@doctors..org.uk [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> 10psi on the front is scary.  I bet it felt like a marshmellow.  I
>check pressures weekly and set front to 38 and back to 42.  Use more
>than one pressure gauge to make sure you get a consistent reading until
>you trust the one you're using.  My tire chuck gauge reads more
>pressure than it delivers..
>>>
>>> - Dave
>>>
>>> On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 03:01:14 PM EDT,
>[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi. For my sins I've ended up with a '95 Trophy 1200. It still looks
>decent after 43k and is a bit loose on motorways, but I'm hoping the
>10psi in the front was the cause of that.
>>> What strikes me is how massively undergeared it is. 4K @ 60mph,
>what's that all about? What do you guys use for front and back
>sprockets, it seems that +1 tooth is the only front option available :(

Hi Lonesome Twin,  I'm glad to see a few other wrote in. I'm surprised no one answered you gearing question. I'll give it a try.
 4000 revs at 60 mph should also produce 5000 revs at 75 mph. At least that is what the speedo says, it is more like 72 mph. That is what my 900 Sprint does. So it looks like you've got the sprockets for a 900 engine.
 17 front and 43 in the rear. The 1200 engine has the same bore and stroke as the 900, so the engine is happy to rev 4000 to 7000 for hours at a time. Coming off the line must be big fun if you really gas it. The front end might lift off the ground. My Sprint is heavy enough that I don't have to worry about lifting the front end.

 My other bike is a 1200 Trophy turned into a Trident. At the time I built the Trident I already had my long term '96 900 Trophy with 111,000 miles. What a great bike, it ran perfect. I needed 3 bikes like I needed another hole in the head. Paying for California registration and insurance with me rarely riding the bike just seems silly. Who is going to buy a bike with that many miles. Only Trophy owners know the bike is still good for another 100,000 miles. So I gave the bike to a friend I grew up with. He loves it. Back to my Trident. I think the gearing is 18 front and 41 in the rear. It has tons of torque and pulls away from a stop easily. At 75mph I think the revs are somewhere close to 4500.

 Words of advice. Don't ride it like some old man. Even though that's what I am. When I get on the bike, I feel like I'm 18 again. Give it some throttle and have some fun. One good thing about California was that we could split lanes at low speeds and filter up to the front at a stop light. Drag City USA, I think that's how the song goes. Every light was like a drag strip for all bike riders. We would all go like stink up to 50. The cagers learned never to race against a bike, no one ever tried it with me. Look up "Italian Tuneup". It keeps the rings set and doesn't let the engine get full of carbon.

 As for mechanical advice just ask. I've pretty familiar with all aspects of these 900 and 1200 models. Except the transmission. I've never had a gear box problem and just haven't dug into it. I have lifted them out on redoing a sprag or engine rebuild. Oh one last thing, Make sure the battery is alway good. Sprags don't like bad batteries.
 Greg Andrews
 now in Pinetop, Az

Re: Just joined [2 Attachments]

marvin
Greetings,

My ’97 Trophy 1200 had hooked sprockets and a wore out chain when I bought it so I did a lot a research when I replaced them.  It appears that Triumph changed up the sprockets several times during the Trophy’s life (more information below).  Supposedly my ’97 should have had 18 front / 42 rear however when I tore mine down it actually had 19 front / 40 rear.  Like an idiot I decided that change something I was perfectly happy with and went with the 18 front / 42 rear.  While I can now lift the front tire off the line (no thanks) the RPMs at highway speed are too high and too loud for my liking.  Next opportunity I’m going back to 19 front / 40 rear.

I copied a ton of information from when I swapped sprockets to my notes app so here you go!  From experience I’d say the charts are pretty accurate.  I don’t remember where I got most of this info and won’t swear it’s accurate but hopefully it’s helpful.

Triumph Sprocket ratio:
(I like this one)
19 front
40 rear
2.11 ratio

New: (September 2017)
(NOT happy with this ratio - RPM too high - too loud)
18 front
42 rear
2.33 ratio
(10% increase)

Increased gear ratio:
faster acceleration
higher RPM
lower top speed
lower MPG

Decreased gear ratio:
slower acceleration
lower RPM
higher top speed
higher MPG

Parts:
Gasket, Sprocket Cover - 1260028-T0301
Seal, Clutch Pushrod - T3600240
Seal, Oil - T3600008

BUNG. CONTROL PLATE - T3450031
BUNG. M6 ALLEN SCREW - T3450049

Guide:
http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/137149-chain-and-sprocket-replacement-part-1-a.html <http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/137149-chain-and-sprocket-replacement-part-1-a.html>

Stock Sprockets:
93 1200 Trophy
Standard 18/45
Options for Countershaft 17-19
Options for Drive 40-48
Chain (standard) 530/112

94-95 1200 Trophy
Standard 18/44
Options for Countershaft 17-19
Options for Drive 40-48
Chain (standard) 530/110

96-98 1200 Trophy
Standard 18/42
Options for Countershaft 17-19
Options for Drive 40-48
Chain (standard) 530/110

99-02 1200 Trophy
Standard 19/40
Options for Countershaft 17-19
Options for Drive 40-48
Chain (standard) 530/110

2003 1200 Trophy
Standard 18/40
Options for Countershaft 17-19
Options for Drive 40-48
Chain (standard) 530/110

Hope this info helps!

Marvin

> On Sep 30, 2019, at 9:47 PM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Lonesome Twin,
>
> I'm glad to see a few other wrote in. I'm surprised no one answered you gearing question. I'll give it a try.
> 4000 revs at 60 mph should also produce 5000 revs at 75 mph. At least that is what the speedo says, it is more like 72 mph. That is what my 900 Sprint does. So it looks like you've got the sprockets for a 900 engine.
> 17 front and 43 in the rear. The 1200 engine has the same bore and stroke as the 900, so the engine is happy to rev 4000 to 7000 for hours at a time.. Coming off the line must be big fun if you really gas it. The front end might lift off the ground. My Sprint is heavy enough that I don't have to worry about lifting the front end.
>
> My other bike is a 1200 Trophy turned into a Trident. At the time I built the Trident I already had my long term '96 900 Trophy with 111,000 miles. What a great bike, it ran perfect. I needed 3 bikes like I needed another hole in the head. Paying for California registration and insurance with me rarely riding the bike just seems silly. Who is going to buy a bike with that many miles. Only Trophy owners know the bike is still good for another 100,000 miles. So I gave the bike to a friend I grew up with. He loves it. Back to my Trident. I think the gearing is 18 front and 41 in the rear. It has tons of torque and pulls away from a stop easily. At 75mph I think the revs are somewhere close to 4500.
>
> Words of advice. Don't ride it like some old man. Even though that's what I am. When I get on the bike, I feel like I'm 18 again. Give it some throttle and have some fun. One good thing about California was that we could split lanes at low speeds and filter up to the front at a stop light. Drag City USA, I think that's how the song goes. Every light was like a drag strip for all bike riders. We would all go like stink up to 50. The cagers learned never to race against a bike, no one ever tried it with me. Look up "Italian Tuneup". It keeps the rings set and doesn't let the engine get full of carbon.
>
> As for mechanical advice just ask. I've pretty familiar with all aspects of these 900 and 1200 models. Except the transmission. I've never had a gear box problem and just haven't dug into it. I have lifted them out on redoing a sprag or engine rebuild. Oh one last thing, Make sure the battery is alway good. Sprags don't like bad batteries.
> Greg Andrews
> now in Pinetop, Az

Pasted Graphic 2.tiff (59K) Download Attachment
Pasted Graphic 1.tiff (58K) Download Attachment