Head gasket question

gandrews2
Hi Guys, I ordered a new head gasket to have on hand for my 1996 1200 Trident that used to be a Trophy.
 Buying that gasket got me wondering. I used to read how some owners had an antifreeze leak on the exhaust side when the engine was cold.
 This 1996 engine is painted Gray. In 1998 the black engine was introduced. What a difference in price for a head gasket. The gray engine gasket is something close to $140. The black engine gasket is half that price. Of course the head is made a little differently also. On the Gray engine the front edge on the exhaust side is mostly straight. On the Black engine the front edge on the exhaust side dips in and out to match the curves of the cylinder liners.
 So here's my question: Was it the gray engines that leaked or was it the black engines?
 Apple Valley, California
 '96 900 BRG
 '98 900 Sprint
 '96 1200 Trident

Re: Head gasket question

gordon.smith29
Hi Greg,
 I'm afraid I can't really answer your question - but thanks for the Heads-Up..
 I had noticed the difference in shape for the Black Engine Gasket and as I have just purchased my first BBBB (black engine) I shall be getting a Gasket Set for "stock"
 Here in the U.K the Head Gasket for a Grey Engine is only available as part of the Gasket Set but for the Black Engine it is available as a single item - currently £41.
 I shall be getting the Kit
 Cheers
 Gordon3xBBB
 Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.