! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

chrisorbics
Hi, I have found a 1996 Triumph Trophy 900 that has been droped in
an accident and then was given away to someone I know. that person
has since tried to get it running but then quicky realized that
since the bike has sat for a couple of years, the carbs need to be
cleaned or re-done with a rebuild kit. He has taken off the bowls
and tried to clean them. After reassembling everything the floats
are continuously letting gas through overflowing the carbs. Since he
is too lazy, too busy, has no money in the bike, and already has a
couple or running bikes he has put the bike OUTSIDE and it has since
rained. I can't believe this. I simply have to rescue this beautiful
machince.

It was build in 9/1996. It is a blue trophy 900 with 7,500 miles on
it. The only things I know that are wrong with it are the carbs,
some minor scratches on the right side from the fall(I heard the
rider went up and over into a pole, oops!!!!), and the highly
vonerable right front signal is either hanging and broken off or
just gone all together. It has a corbin seat and the two nice
compartments on the back sides.

My only problem is that I have yet to get a price out of him and
that I can't find a carb rebuild kit for this bike online! There are
a couple of dealers around my area that used to sell Triumph and now
do not. I have found one place that still does but I went there on
monday and they were closed for some reason. I'll have to make the
drive again to see if they can order the kit for me. I really don't
want to get stuck with this machine and not be able to get the parts
I need to get it running and not to meantion something I might need
in the future.

So right now that's where I'm at with this. I'm going to make an
offer on the bike very soon. Hopefully he has all the paper work or
that will be another obsticle along with the ongoing search for
parts.

Any thoughts on anything I have talked about would be great. Also
does anyone have any idea what the bike is worth in this condition?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

Alec Gore
www.carbparts.com and
www.factorypro.com should be of use. Good luck!

Regards

Alec

> Hi, I have found a 1996 Triumph Trophy 900 that has been
> dropped in an accident and then was given away to someone I
> know. that person has since tried to get it running but then
> quickly realized that since the bike has sat for a couple of
> years, the carbs need to be cleaned or re-done with a rebuild
> kit.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

apsllp@bellsouth.net
Unfortunately Triumphs In running shape they don¬ít bring much.  In great
running shape it might bring $3K

Bob Clark
001 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
71 Suzuki T-500
Augusta, GA

!

  _____

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

Alec Gore
Further thought:

Go to the extensive FAQs in the FILES section of this group and
you will get most of your questions answered, if not all.

Regards

Alec

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

Eoin Kirwan
On Saturday 31 December 2005 05:10, chrisorbics wrote:
> he has put the bike OUTSIDE and it has since
> rained. I can't believe this. I simply have to rescue this beautiful
> machince.

Big deal. Some of us live in places where it rains almost daily (even in
summer!) and are forced to park our bikes outside. It won't melt!

Eoin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

Alec Gore
Hear what you are saying, Eoin, but in Ireland the rain is
probably pretty clean.

When I was living in Hong Kong, the potent mix of sea air and
pollution would dissolve things as you watched, including chrome
and rubber on Triumphs. Sikorsky sold HK Government a helicopter
fleet with lifetime guarantees on the electronics. When the
atmosphere dissolved the precious metals in the circuit boards
every two years or so, the replacement costs meant they had to
try and re-write the contracts!

The oxidising effect of sunshine can be pretty potent too.

If you can cover a bike with a good cover that breathes, do it.

Generally, I hold with the theory that dirt sticks to dirt so I
don't like putting away a dirty bike. However, giving the Trophy
a thorough clean every night is impractical. This year I found
the Scottoiler product that is an emulsion of oil and water. You
spray it on and it leaves a very thin film of oil. This manages
to catch oil the salt and dirt so it doesn't corrode the bike.
When you come to clean the bike - every week, month or even at
the end of the season - you just wash with shampoo and hose it
down as normal. Bike's returned to summer condition as before.
Some of the bike magazines rated this Product of the Year a
couple of years back.

http://www.scottoiler.co.uk/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=85&idcatego
ry=9

Regards

Alec

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

Tom D.
--- In [hidden email], "Alec Gore" <e-mail@a...>
wrote:
 Sikorsky sold HK Government a helicopter

> fleet with lifetime guarantees on the electronics. When the
> atmosphere dissolved the precious metals in the circuit boards
> every two years or so, the replacement costs meant they "had to"
> re-write the contracts!
>
> The oxidising effect of sunshine can be pretty potent too.
>
> If you can cover a bike with a good cover that breathes, do it.
> Regards
>
> Alec

I will confirm this info and that in this type of atmosphere;
a "CLEAN" fresh water rinse is a very good thing to do!!!
Tom D.

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

lgl12356
--- In [hidden email], "Robert Clark" <apsllp@b...>
wrote:

> Unfortunately Triumphs In running shape they don't bring much.
In great
> running shape it might bring $3K
>
> Bob Clark

Actually, that might be a good thing in this case.
He can use that in negotiating a (ahem) "fair" price
for this piece of junk that doesn't even run.  Bring
up a dealer quote on parts and labor for a carb rebuild.
Heck, you might get the guy to pay you to take it away.
:)

Then, throw a few dollars and a couple weekends at it,
and drive away with this silly grin the rest of us keep
getting.

Better check the title if it was wrecked before.  Might
be a "Salvage".

So far as a little rain, my '96 has pretty much set out
since I got it in Oct 2001.  Sometimes covered.  Only a
couple winter months a couple years in a storage unit
or trailer, not yet this year.  Runs and starts good as
ever (as long as it's above freezing).

Lowell

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

chrisorbics
I just went to the Triumph shop today and got a quote of $280 for the carb cleaning and tuning. It would be $40-45 for each gasket for the three carbs which is what the owner says it needs. the mechanic there says he doesn't think it's needs any news parts but he says it probably just needs a good cleaning do $280 isn't that bad.

  as far as what i am i going to offer it will be $100-200. he has no interest at all in the bike and i don't have a lot of money to offer anyway. besides i've never seen the bike even turn over so i could be buying a basket case although i'd dought it.

  hopefully i'll get it and get it cheap. i have a feeling if i tell him that i'll save him the trouble of trailering it away (which he said he's going to junk it), tell him i'll let him ride it when it's done then i'll probably get it for free. we'll see how it goes. I hope it won't be too much for me since it will be my first street bike. i've been riding dirtbikes since i was 13 so i have 2 wheel experience but i know this is totally different. i sat on the new Triumph 955 sport touring bike today to see what something like this feels like and it seems i'll just have to get used to the weight and the power.

  i was thinking about trying to do the carb work myself but i've never worked on a multi cylinder motorcycle before. I have read a couple over general motorcycle repair books in the bookstore and it doesn't seem too hard but i'n not to sure about evening out the carbs. i was thinking that i would just try to leave all the settings where they are and just try to get it running and spray carb cleaner in. if thay doesn't solve it than possibly take the carbs appart. i'm really unsure of my self because i've never done it but i am very open to learn about new things when it comes to engines. i can always try to get one of my buddies to come over and help me if i can ever pry them away from their girls.

  chris

wrote:

> Unfortunately Triumphs In running shape they don't bring much.
In great
> running shape it might bring $3K
>
> Bob Clark

Actually, that might be a good thing in this case.
He can use that in negotiating a (ahem) "fair" price
for this piece of junk that doesn't even run.  Bring
up a dealer quote on parts and labor for a carb rebuild.
Heck, you might get the guy to pay you to take it away.
:)

Then, throw a few dollars and a couple weekends at it,
and drive away with this silly grin the rest of us keep
getting.

Better check the title if it was wrecked before.  Might
be a "Salvage".

So far as a little rain, my '96 has pretty much set out
since I got it in Oct 2001.  Sometimes covered.  Only a
couple winter months a couple years in a storage unit
or trailer, not yet this year.  Runs and starts good as
ever (as long as it's above freezing).

Lowell

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

        Triumph motorcycles   Trophy   Sports tour     Triumph   Sprint

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]