Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Triumph Trophy mailing list
My 95 BBBB is leaking fuel from the air filter when on the side stand.  Before I start ripping things apart, I thought I might seek some guidance.  My first thought is the fuel shutoff which should not allow this to happen.  Then I move onto a stuck float in one of the carbs.  Does this sound like the right direction so any of you who have maybe seen this before?

 Thanks in advance.

 Tom Ewing
 Ocala, Fl.
 95-BRG BBBB
 15-Trophy SE

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Tom;

     Could be both but I doubt that. Stuck float needle on carb one or
two would do it but should eventually stop because of the fuel tap.
However if the fuel tap is bad as well it wont stop but having two
anomalies at the same time seems pretty strange. There is a lot of fuel
stored in the fuel lines if the fuel lines are configured the same way
as it came from the factory so it would take a while for it all to pass
that leaking float needle but sounds to me like you are destined to at
least pull a float bowl off of the #1 carb but I could be wrong.

Ed J.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Hi Tom,

When you state airbox do you mean the drain line? Or is it seeping out of
the seams?

I would say that your on the right trail. Substitute longer fuel and vacuum
lines and check the cutoff with light mouth suction. It should switch
completely off and on with just light suction. As for the carbs all of the
usual suspects apply. From sunken floats to needles and orings. I'm always
amaized at the fact that the fuel tends to end up in the filter. Which
seems like it would be a slightly uphill. But gas does odd things. Keep a
keen eye on the oil. Which I try to make a habit of on every mount. As for
her only leaking while on the side stand that is rather baffling. Do you
still have the oem carb vent system in place? Its a long shot but perhaps a
postive pressure is presenting on the vents. Causing the bowls to empty
into the venturi.

Let us know what you find. And a happy new year to all. If you own a
Triumph no doubt wherever you may be your a happy camper. I'll raise a
glass to you all tonight.

Cheers and be safe!

Samuel

96 BBBB PB

NOLA

On Dec 31, 2016 3:32 PM, "[hidden email]
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');> [TriumphTrophy]" <
[hidden email]
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:

> My 95 BBBB is leaking fuel from the air filter when on the side stand.
> Before I start ripping things apart, I thought I might seek some guidance.
> My first thought is the fuel shutoff which should not allow this to
> happen.  Then I move onto a stuck float in one of the carbs.  Does this
> sound like the right direction so any of you who have maybe seen this
> before?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tom Ewing
> Ocala, Fl.
> 95-BRG BBBB
> 15-Trophy SE

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Triumph Trophy mailing list
And a very happy, safe new year to you....

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Dec 31, 2016 3:32 PM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email] > wrote:

My 95 BBBB is leaking fuel from the air filter when on the side stand.  Before I start ripping things apart, I thought I might seek some guidance.  My first thought is the fuel shutoff which should not allow this to happen.  Then I move onto a stuck float in one of the carbs.  Does this sound like the right direction so any of you who have maybe seen this before?

Thanks in advance.
Tom EwingOcala, Fl.95-BRG BBBB15-Trophy SE

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Hi Tom, You are right on both accounts. Petcock and float needle. Petcocks go bad for usually two reasons. The fuel knob breaks or it needs a repair kit, which contains a diaphragm and seal and other little bits.

 The petcock knob is made of plastic that breaks easily if turned too hard.
 Which is a good thing. You want the plastic knob to break before breaking off one or both of the aluminum tabs on the petcock barrel. The knob is easily replaced, or strengthened by filling in the empty backside voids with epoxy glue. I haven't yet found a source for just the aluminum part. So the knob is broke and even though it looks likes the knob is pointing to run or reserve, it is really on prime. Pull off a fuel line and watch it flow.
 Now if the knob is not broken and it is pointing in the right direction and fuel still flows through, it is time for a new petcock kit. Spring Manufacturing in the UK sells them and sends it thru the mail and a decent price. I had it delivered in less than a week.

 On to the carbs, but which one? Looking at the spark plugs should tell you. It's the black sooty one. I found that the needles last a long time. It is probably just a piece of junk stuck on the needle. Try flushing it with fuel. What you talkin about Willis?
 Put a towel under the carbs to catch the fuel. Turn the petcock to prime. And open up the drain screw at the bottom of the float bowl. The flowing fuel should wash the junk off the needle. Close up the drain screw. Leave it on prime for a minute and see if fuel overflows out the vent line. If it doesn't overflow, you are good to go.

 So how do you like the new Trophy? If I drop either one of my 900's I can repair it without spending a lot of money. If I had a newer Trophy and dropped it, I'd be sick just thinking about what it would cost to repair it. Also my car is 10 years old. So no big loss if wrecked.

 Good luck on the fuel leak, hope this helped.
 Greg Andrews
 Apple Valley, California

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Thanks for the input guys.  I will start with the petcock and work down to the carbs.  Fortunately, I run Aviation 100LL gas in the Trophy, so it is easy to find leaks with the coloring in the fuel.

 I have had this 95 since new.  Sold it once, but ended up buying it back!  It fits like a glove and with new coils etc has never really let me down.  Suspect it will be buried with me.

 I did not plan on buying the new Trophy, but got a deal at the local Triumph dealer on a used bike they had for some time that I could not refuse.  Less than $8000 for a 2015SE with 1500 miles was too much to pass up.

 I do like the ride of the new Trophy.  The shaft drive and wind screen that can be raised are nice.  The seat is a little less comfortable for me that the 95, but the cruise control, heated grip, radio et al make up for that.

 I have not had any problems with it yet, but have only put a few thousand miles on it so far.  What was a shock was I changed the oil and found I needed a special tool costing over $100 to reset the usage in the computer.  The same tool is required for changing the brake fluid in the linked ABS brakes.  So, the sophistication is nice, but has a price.  Suspect this one may get to the dealer where I never took the 95 to a dealer, doing all the work myself.

 The computer on the 2015 is telling me the battery on the front tire pressure sensor is low.  While it still reads the pressure correct.  You need to take the tire off an install another $60 pressure sensor and calibrate that to the bike with a special tool again.  Can't say I really needed this feature and I never minded checking the pressure myself.

 So, the new bike is really nice.  Great ride, power and convenience, but all the sophistication comes at a price.  Repairs are still an open question, but it certainly will not be as easy as the old 95.  The only issue  I ever had with the 95 it was the need to remove the carbs to replace the air filter unless you modified the box.

 Best  to you and thanks for the help.

 Tom Ewing
 Ocala, Florida
 95 BRG BBBB
 2015 Trophy SE

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

I am a Triumph mechanic and can tell you there are three things or a
combination of them that can and will cause what you are describing.
 first, your petcock is not shutting off.  This could be due to simply
leaving it in the PRI prime position or the vacuum shut of is not working.
If the cheap plastic knob is no longer keyed to the petcock shaft you may
think it is in the on or reserve position when you are actually in the PRI
position.  Confirm by removing one of the fuel lines from the petcock and
check for fuel flow.  Be ready to put the line back on quickly to avoid a
mess.

The second and third items are within one or more of the carburetors.  A
float needle could be leaking or the O-Rings that hold the nylon bridge
float assembly in place could be dried out and leaking.  I always replace
those O-rings and often the float needles when repairing carburetors.

Most likely if you see fuel coming from the air box, some fuel has migrated
past the rings and contaminated your oil.  check this before atempting to
start the motor!.

Good luck.

Steve

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Hi Tom;

     What happened to the 2001 you had when you came by here? When I saw
your post about the '95 I might be losing it because I thought you had
sold it!

Ain't technology grand! I know I don't want anything newer than my '01
for that reason! Shop prices and quality of shop work is beyond my pay
grade for anything newer that what I've got!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Same rule applies! If you drive by and the garage door
is open and my black Civic is here you are welcome to stop in!

Ed J.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Thanks for bringing that new fangled tool to light. I'm assuming its a
brain interface reset device. Man that 100LL avgas must be sweet. No doubt
that my Trophy would gulp that right down. And sound a lot healthier while
doing so. Just recently a cherry 08 1050 Sprint popped up four hours up
into Mississippi. I was chomping at the bit but failed to make the run up
to check it out. If she would have been local, I likely would have melted
down and bought it. And I'm sure would have loved the injected big BBB at
least until the electronics folded. At which point I would have instantly
mourned for my old Trophy. She has been a great ride to date and I'm trying
to resist the call. A friend has a totl 2013 speed triple which just a
month ago croaked during a back country trashing. So far it seems the
dealer can't figure it out. After hearing that story I've decided to hang
on to the Trophy.

Samuel
96 BBBB PB
NOLA
On Jan 2, 2017 12:25 PM, "Ed Johnson [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> need to take the tire off an install another $60 pressure sensor and
> calibrate that to the bike with a special tool again.  Can't say I really
> needed this feature and I never minded checking the pressure myself.
>
> So, the new bike is really nice.  Great ride, power and convenience, but
> all the sophistication comes at a price.  Repairs are still an open
> question, but it certainly will not be as easy as the old 95.  The only
> issue  I ever had with the 95 it was the need to remove the carbs to
> replace the air filter unless you modified the box.
>
> Best  to you and thanks for the help.
>
> Tom Ewing
> Ocala, Florida
> 95 BRG BBBB
> 2015 Trophy SE
>

> --
> Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Thanks for the invite Ed.  We still have the place at Lantana, so do get over there frequently and will look you up.  Don't have a bike over there, but can almost walk to your house!  I did sell the 95.  The guy that bought it hurt his back and wife wasn't comfortable on the bike, so he put it on Crags list.  When I saw it I called him and he said the bike was fine but told me the story.  It was on Craig's list forever and he was moving out of state, so made a deal to get it back in the stable again where it belongs.  I really missed it anyway.  Sold the 2001 to a guy in Gainesville.  Life goes on!  Best to you.

 Tom

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Fellas!
  I read your story, and it got me to thinking? Momma Jack rode an easy 100K miles, behind me, and I never heard a gripe from her, over maybe 35-40 years of riding. Then I got my ’95 BBBB-BRG. The Givi top box was her first complaint, the stock seat was her second. It got so bad on a trip to Oregon, that she gave up and rode on in the "chase truck". That stock seat was so bad that I’d ride standing up. It was fine for the first 150 miles, then it was like a curse washed over your arse. I’d never known such pain, on any motorcycle, and I’d only had a few with any rear suspension! I think I had tears actually rolling down my cheery hair covered cheeks! I’d had like three bikes that I’d put well-made aftermarket saddles on, and it made all the difference in the World. My favorite is the "Corbin" line, of seats. You can have them made to your exact spec’s, if you want to go by their factory. Talk about being treated like a "Somebody", I’d say, like there are some roads that are there for "Us", in particular, like HWY1- Pacific coast Highway, on the Western Coast of America, there is a "Motorcyclists Nirvana", that every one of us must do at least once in his lifetime, and that is to spend an entire day at a Saddle-maker’s shop, while he puts together a seat that is literally, "Just for you". I rode a big loop, up the Eastern side of Cal., thru the "Gold country" of the 1849’er fame, and South on the "Pacific Coast Highway", back home. As I came South, I made an appointment with Mike Corbin, at Corbin Saddles, to spend a few hours getting a custom fit, new saddle for my ’83 GL1100. I think I know now how our Gals feel after a "SPA-DAY"! I had never been thru anything like it, and I likely never will again (But who knows?). It just worked out, as part of my trip. Mike will tell you it takes about 3,000 miles to "Break in" a new saddle, and he knows what he’s talking about. At about 3K miles, you realize one day that you’ve just ridden 200 miles, and haven’t squirmed around once! I made one 2K mile trip on the stock saddle, and thought the ride would never end. I rode standing up "On the freeway!" my butt hurt so bad. I really like the Corbin leather saddle I have now. It is a bit cooler in Summer, and requires a little more care, but I see no real advantage to the leather. There are a couple disadvantages, in particular, don’t get it wet. I like it fine tho, and rode thru the worst rain in all my history with it, and no problems. Having a top name custom saddle is a treat we all should have just once.
 Kindest regards,
  Poppa Jack

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 4:05 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks for the invite Ed.  We still have the place at Lantana, so do get over there frequently and will look you up.  Don't have a bike over there, but can almost walk to your house!  I did sell the 95.  The guy that bought it hurt his back and wife wasn't comfortable on the bike, so he put it on Crags list.  When I saw it I called him and he said the bike was fine but told me the story.  It was on Craig's list forever and he was moving out of state, so made a deal to get it back in the stable again where it belongs.  I really missed it anyway.  Sold the 2001 to a guy in Gainesville.  Life goes on!  Best to you.
>
> Tom

Re: Fuel Leak Thru Air Filter

Hi Tom,
Your bike 'wet the bed'.  Mine has done this too.
Don't try to start it.  A cylinder might be partially full of gasoline, which cannot compress.  You could break your sprag clutch, punch a hole in a piston, or bend a connecting rod.  You probably need to do an oil change because the oil is likely diluted with gasoline and you need to get the gasoline out of the cylinders.
If your petcock is in the ON or RES position, then you have a petcock leak.  This can happen due to grit inside the petcock or a bad O-ring.  If your petcock is in the PRI position, then this contributed to the problem, but didn't completely cause it.
Remove the fuel tank and petcock.  Use Japanese Machine screws heads (not Philips) and an impact driver to undo the screws.  Disassembe and clean the petcock.
If the fuel tank has lots of rust, this is the time to eliminate the rust and/or line the tank with a high quality fuel tank liner.
Remove the carburetors and take off the float bowls.  You need to clean the needles and seats in each carburetor.
The tees between carbs 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 should have tiny little filters inside.  I'm guessing that these are missing.  They would have saved you from this headache.  Purchase and install these filters.
- Dave
    My 95 BBBB is leaking fuel from the air filter when on the side stand.  Before I start ripping things apart, I thought I might seek some guidance.  My first thought is the fuel shutoff which should not allow this to happen.  Then I move onto a stuck float in one of the carbs.  Does this sound like the right direction so any of you who have maybe seen this before?
Thanks in advance.
Tom EwingOcala, Fl.95-BRG BBBB15-Trophy SE
  #yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682 -- #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp #yiv0739483682hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp #yiv0739483682ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp .yiv0739483682ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp .yiv0739483682ad p {margin:0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mkp .yiv0739483682ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-sponsor #yiv0739483682ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-sponsor #yiv0739483682ygrp-lc #yiv0739483682hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-sponsor #yiv0739483682ygrp-lc .yiv0739483682ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682activity span .yiv0739483682underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 dd.yiv0739483682last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv0739483682 dd.yiv0739483682last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv0739483682 dd.yiv0739483682last p span.yiv0739483682yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682file-title a, #yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682file-title a:active, #yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682file-title a:hover, #yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682photo-title a, #yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682photo-title a:active, #yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682photo-title a:hover, #yiv0739483682 div.yiv0739483682photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 div#yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg #yiv0739483682ygrp-msg p a span.yiv0739483682yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv0739483682 o {font-size:0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv0739483682 .yiv0739483682replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv0739483682 input, #yiv0739483682 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv0739483682 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-mlmsg #yiv0739483682logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-msg p#yiv0739483682attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-reco #yiv0739483682reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-sponsor #yiv0739483682ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-sponsor #yiv0739483682ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-sponsor #yiv0739483682ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv0739483682 #yiv0739483682ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv0739483682