Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Tom Witt
Many of you may recall that I have experimented with several different
tire sizes (170/60ZR17, 180/55ZR17, 180/50ZR17, etc) over the years,
as well as different makes and models. I've recently gone down a new
path (literally?) and have mounted a 160/60-17 and 120/70-17 Pirelli
MT60R set or "Snow Tires" as I like to call them.

Here in Southwest Ohio (USA) our Winters aren't horrible and the roads
are often cleared of snow within a day or two, but the amount of salt
and sand left on the surface makes it extremely difficult to ride. You
will also occasionally be surprised by a drift of snow/ice that has
come across the road in unexpected places (Whoo!). The salt eventually
gets ground up into a fine powder and turns into something more like
soft sand that you would find on a beach. It is super slick with
street tires. I'm sure many of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Over the past couple days, I've put 100+ miles on these tires in
sub-freezing temps. I am so impressed with them, that once I wear them
out (and wear out my Metz Z6 set mounted on my other rims), I think I
will likely continue mounting dual-sport type tires from now on. The
compromise is... well, not much of a compromise. These tires stick
almost as good as regular street tires, yet they handle the snow,
salt, sand, dirt, gravel and whatever else you can throw at them.

The only thing that might stop me from going this route (I mean,
sticking with the dual-sport tires), is if I just can't get any decent
mileage out of them (which is quite possible taking the weight of the
Trophy into consideration).

See pics:
http://www.localriders.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13564
http://www.localriders.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13560

Or go directly to the highrez images:
http://www.localriders.com/photopost/data//500/949snowtrophy1.JPG
http://www.localriders.com/photopost/data//500/949snowtire1.JPG

Tom (SW Ohio, USA)
99 Triumph Trophy 1200

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Randall Rolling
  "I'm sure many of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about."

Yeah, Tom I know what you mean. Well not really. Here in Florida I think it got down in the 40's last night. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Randy

---------------------------------

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Tom Witt
--- In [hidden email], Randall Rolling
<bpdrolling@y...> wrote:

>   "I'm sure many of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about."
>
> Yeah, Tom I know what you mean. Well not really. Here in Florida I
think it got down in the 40's last night. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

> Merry Christmas everyone!
>
> Randy

We might break 40 tomorrow for the high. Whoohoo! Heat wave. Hehe...

Merry Christmas to you too!

Tom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Tom D.
--- In [hidden email], "Tom Witt" <Witttom@a...> wrote:

> Many of you may recall that I have experimented with
> See pics:
 highrez images:
> http://www.localriders.com/photopost/data//500/949snowtrophy1.JPG
> http://www.localriders.com/photopost/data//500/949snowtire1.JPG
>
> Tom (SW Ohio, USA)
> 99 Triumph Trophy 1200

Tom,
      Your a man of men, this is what I call having the passion to
ride!
Tom D.
1999 BRG BBBB
PS: I think the mileage will be good, that is the same type of tire
that is used on those 600+ pound BEEMERS.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

--- In [hidden email], "Tom" <motoworld2001@y...> wrote:

> Your a man of men, this is what I call having the passion to
> ride!

Not sure if that is something to be proud of. I know lots of stupid
men. Hehe...

In all honesty, my mileage is quite under par this year. I just
crossed the 10k threshold today. Last year (2004) and rode a little
over 15k. The year prior (2003) was 19k+. I think that's the price you
pay when you have three kids though.<G>

> PS: I think the mileage will be good, that is the same type of tire
> that is used on those 600+ pound BEEMERS.

I hope! (crossing fingers)

Tom (SW Ohio)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Phil Smith
Tom
BRRRRRRRRRRR
Looks cold.
Supposed to be 75 today here.
I get the bike back from major 30 K work over with fresh 180/55 Avon
Rear and Race-Tech upgraded forks.
Will try to have fun in the canyons on Christmas Day or after...

Phil

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

--- In [hidden email], "Phil Smith" <pjsmithres@a...>
wrote:

> Tom
> BRRRRRRRRRRR
> Looks cold.
> Supposed to be 75 today here.
> I get the bike back from major 30 K work over with fresh 180/55 Avon
> Rear and Race-Tech upgraded forks.
> Will try to have fun in the canyons on Christmas Day or after...
>
> Phil

Phil,
       Thanks for rubbing it in, we saw the temps in the teens last
weekend. Let us know how the suspension work has added to your joy!
Tom D.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Alec Gore
Tom

The MT60R's are great fun. I had two sets on my Ascot TT
(Legend-based). But, I wasn't getting more than 2,000 miles out
of a rear :0)

I'm not even sure they are still being made. I like the
dual-sport look and handling too. I tried one set of racing
"rain" tyres. They are good, but even less mileage than the
MT60s!!

My latest are Pirelli Scorpion SYNCs, difficult to find in UK,
but well worth looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/age4n

These Avon's look fun too:

http://tinyurl.com/85rj8

Don't know what they would be like on the Trophy. Still
finishing off the BT54s it came with.

Regards

Alec
PS What screen and silencers do you have on your bike?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dual-Sport Trophy ?

Steve Wassenich
Alec Gore wrote:

> My latest are Pirelli Scorpion SYNCs, difficult to find in UK,
> but well worth looking for.

I think one of the Buells (City X, maybe) uses the Syncs.  The Buell
guys seem to love them, and they come in the right sizes for a Trophy.

Steve W.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]