Dash Lights

j_porter6
My oil and temp lights do not come on when I put the key in before I
start the bike.  Is this normal?  How can you tell if they work?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dash Lights

AJ Turner

Re: Dash Lights

j_porter6
Thanks.  I didn't think it was right. The lights on my Dakar all
come on also, but the temp light only for just a second the rest
stay on until I start the bike.  All my other dash lights on the
tropy work.  If the sending unit was bad the oil light would come on
and stay on right??  So more than likely the dash light??

--- In [hidden email], "AJ Turner" <aj-turner@v...>
wrote:

> [...]

List owner:  [hidden email]

FAQs:

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Dash Lights

Phil Smith
Likely that the lamp is out for the oil side.  LED replacement about
$2.00 or new standard bulb.  I have a local light bulb guy that had
type 74 incandecent bulbs (use the 1.2 or 1.4 watt #72 or #74) for a
dollar a bulb.  The dealer wanted $3.00.  Best I can figure is the
sensor fails in the on position as mine did and it stays on all the
time if failed.  Replacing it was easy enough.

The way to get the temp (overheat) lamp on is to ground the sensor.
It's the two prong plug above the valve cover and behind the
radiator cap, barely accessible through the left side louvers.  If
you barely lift up the wired plug (keeping it atttached) and stick a
long screwdriver through the fairing opening and touch both
terminals it will light up the lamp.  It's easier with the fairing
off.  Since you need to take off the front fairing to change the OIL
pressure lamp you might get it checked then.  Depending on your
maneuverability you might have to take the left fairing off (easier
than the right) to get to the sensor.

Phil

> > My oil and temp lights do not come on when I put the key in
before I
> > start the bike.  Is this normal?  How can you tell if they work?
> >

> No..it's not normal.....at least for the oil lamp for sure.
>
> When I turn my key, I get a neutral lamp, the kickstand warning
lamp, and
> the oil lamp all ON.
>
> I don't remember if I ever got the temperature lamp when the bike
was new

> (it's been since 1996) or not,  but I don't think I did.
>
> So at least I can tell you that your oil lamp is probably toasted.
>
> I'd like to hear if the temp lamp SHOULD be on myself!?
>
> AJ Turner
> '96 Merlot BBBB
> '77 Silver Jubilee 750 Bonneville
> '69 650 Tiger TR-6R

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/zliolB/TM

Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

Post message: [hidden email]
Subscribe:  [hidden email]
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
List owner:  [hidden email]