Carburetors and Jetting 900's with Keihins

Carburetors and Jetting 900's with Keihins

boydens1
All,

I know this has come a few times over the years and I did search the prior posts on this topic and did not find the answer.  I would like to know if anyone can share some information on jet kits for the 99 and up triples.  I have a 99 900 equipped with a K&N air filter and Staintunes and it is running lean and hot.  I'd like to re-jet and just don't know where to find the right kit.  These same Keihin carbs were OEM on other brands of bikes (weren't they?)  Has anyone here compiled a good list of cross over parts matches for the Trophy, from other bike manufacturers?

Thanks,

Mike

99 900 Platinum
99 900 Pacific Blue (bought from Bruce Carter) already jetted with K&N and D&D's

Re: Carburetors and Jetting 900's with Keihins

n5xl
Hi Mike,

I've not found any jetting kits for the Keihins...they may be out there but I've not seen them.  You really dont need them anyway as its easier to "roll your own".

To rejet a Keihin CVK36, you'll want bigger pilot jets and main jets.  The needle and needle jet are satisfactory with no replacement required.  I'd recommend you stick with Keihin branded jets.

The mains are 99101-393-xxx, where the xxx is the size of the jet you need.  For example, a 130 main jet would be 99101-393-130.

The pilot jets are N424-25B-xxx, where the xxx is the jet size you need.  For example, a 40 pilot jet would be N424-25B-040.

You're flowing a bit more air than factory with the K&N and the Staintunes, so I'd recommend you start off with 125 or 130 mains and 40 pilots, and adjust from there as required.  For reference, the factory setup on the 900's...at least on the Sprint Exec I have (basically a 900 Trophy with half fairing) was 120,115,120 mains and 38 pilots.  I am still running the stock airbox and mufflers and find that 125 mains (all three at 125) and 40 pilots work very well.  I currently have one shim washer under each needle...some people like two shims under the needles...just depends on what your bike likes!

The jets can be found at Bike Bandit, or you could search online using the part numbers described and see what you can find that way.  Bike Bandit carries factory Keihin jets but so do other places...you just have to be careful and read the descriptions.  I think Bike Bandit offers the mains in packs of 5 and the pilots individually (maybe the other way round), so be aware of that.

Best of luck.
Dave

--- In [hidden email], "oceanroadfan" <boydens1@...> wrote:

> All,
>
> I know this has come a few times over the years and I did search the prior posts on this topic and did not find the answer.  I would like to know if anyone can share some information on jet kits for the 99 and up triples.  I have a 99 900 equipped with a K&N air filter and Staintunes and it is running lean and hot.  I'd like to re-jet and just don't know where to find the right kit.  These same Keihin carbs were OEM on other brands of bikes (weren't they?)  Has anyone here compiled a good list of cross over parts matches for the Trophy, from other bike manufacturers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> 99 900 Platinum
> 99 900 Pacific Blue (bought from Bruce Carter) already jetted with K&N and D&D's

Re: Carburetors and Jetting 900's with Keihins

boydens1
Dave,

Thanks, I will hit Bike Bandit tomorrow and get the jets ordered.  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.  I'll probably go with the 130/40 set-up and see how it goes.  I'll get into the air screws and crank them out a bit too.

Mike

--- In [hidden email], "ve5aea" <n5xl@...> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I've not found any jetting kits for the Keihins...they may be out there but I've not seen them.  You really dont need them anyway as its easier to "roll your own".
>
> To rejet a Keihin CVK36, you'll want bigger pilot jets and main jets.  The needle and needle jet are satisfactory with no replacement required.  I'd recommend you stick with Keihin branded jets.
>
> The mains are 99101-393-xxx, where the xxx is the size of the jet you need.  For example, a 130 main jet would be 99101-393-130.
>
> The pilot jets are N424-25B-xxx, where the xxx is the jet size you need.  For example, a 40 pilot jet would be N424-25B-040.
>
> You're flowing a bit more air than factory with the K&N and the Staintunes, so I'd recommend you start off with 125 or 130 mains and 40 pilots, and adjust from there as required.  For reference, the factory setup on the 900's...at least on the Sprint Exec I have (basically a 900 Trophy with half fairing) was 120,115,120 mains and 38 pilots.  I am still running the stock airbox and mufflers and find that 125 mains (all three at 125) and 40 pilots work very well.  I currently have one shim washer under each needle...some people like two shims under the needles...just depends on what your bike likes!
>
> The jets can be found at Bike Bandit, or you could search online using the part numbers described and see what you can find that way.  Bike Bandit carries factory Keihin jets but so do other places...you just have to be careful and read the descriptions.  I think Bike Bandit offers the mains in packs of 5 and the pilots individually (maybe the other way round), so be aware of that.
>
> Best of luck.
> Dave
>
> --- In [hidden email], "oceanroadfan" <boydens1@> wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I know this has come a few times over the years and I did search the prior posts on this topic and did not find the answer.  I would like to know if anyone can share some information on jet kits for the 99 and up triples.  I have a 99 900 equipped with a K&N air filter and Staintunes and it is running lean and hot.  I'd like to re-jet and just don't know where to find the right kit.  These same Keihin carbs were OEM on other brands of bikes (weren't they?)  Has anyone here compiled a good list of cross over parts matches for the Trophy, from other bike manufacturers?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > 99 900 Platinum
> > 99 900 Pacific Blue (bought from Bruce Carter) already jetted with K&N and D&D's

Re: Carburetors and Jetting 900's with Keihins

some thing ive just come across Keihin 32CVK Disassembly http://www.myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm
 while the 900's use the 36, its quite possible they are the same carb design. hope it helps.

 http://www.myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm

 Keihin 32CVK Disassembly http://www.myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm Front view, compliance fitting side. Left side view. Aft view, branch tubing  or intake side. Right side, idle adjustment screw can be plainly seen. Top view loo...

 View on www.myural.com http://www.myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm
 Preview by Yahoo

Re: Carburetors and Jetting 900's with Keihins

Triumph Trophy mailing list
after doing some research online and talking with a Mikuni dealer, the low down is the BST36 (which is very hard to get information on) was made under licence for Triumph, this could be the reason the lack of free information online and having to use some oem parts. The BST36ss has different specs for different countries, ie, pollution laws to our carbs.