Carbs on a trophy 1200

Chris Nash
Anyone near fort worth or Azle area can point me in the right direction of a good tech that can rebuild my carbs. I've tried and still not able to get the bike running. Also I don't have the tool to sync the cards.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
Hi Big Red, You can do this job. You will learn a lot and save a bunch of money. You've got a 1200 so the carbs are Mikuni. I like Mikuni's and the problems they get only come down to only a few things. Usually it is the idle fuel jet. The lengthwise hole in the jet is very small, only 0.014 in. When these jets get clogged the bike won't start, and fuel cleaners rarely work. You'll be taking off the carbs to get to the jets. After you get the tank off and the covers above the cam cover off take pictures of how the throttle cable is routed. Unscrew the throttle twist grip off a take the cable out of the twist grip. Loosen the clamps holding the carbs onto the intake rubber boots. Push the air filter back and slide out the carbs. Dinner is ready, I'll be back.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
Okay, I'm back. Take the float bowls off. You'll see two jets. The big one is the main jet and it holds the needle emulsion tube in place. The small one is the idle fuel jet, this is the one that gets clogged. Finding the right size screwdriver to get it out maybe a bit tricky. I bought a jet from the dealer then took the jet to the hardware store and found a screwdriver that fit. Take out the jet. Look lengthwise thru the hole. You probably won't see light thru it because it's clogged. A #79 or 80 drill bit will go thru it. You probably won't have drill bits that small. How about one bristle from a wire brush, Get it clean out and put the jet back in. Yeah that's the tickets, and there you go, do the other carbs and the problem is probably fixed. Right back if you want to go after the idle fuel jets.
 Greg

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Chris Nash
I'll try again. Not sure where I went wrong. I initially took them off and removed all the jets. put the jets in a sonic cleaner and ran it; I did this for each carburetor.

 I got the bike from my buddy who's dad stored it and let it sit. It would initially crank and die and not idle. Now I cant even get it to crank again. If it does anything it backfires.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Jim Miles
Same issue with my 2003 trophy. Carbs have been the death of this bike.
Torn down numerous times, rebuild, rejet, etc. Don’t even know where to
start anymore. Planning to take them off again to send to a local carb
expert. I’ve got doubts about them ever running perfectly again.

Jim

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:08 PM [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm back. Take the float bowls off. You'll see two jets. The big one
> is the main jet and it holds the needle emulsion tube in place. The small
> one is the idle fuel jet, this is the one that gets clogged. Finding the
> right size screwdriver to get it out maybe a bit tricky. I bought a jet
> from the dealer then took the jet to the hardware store and found a
> screwdriver that fit. Take out the jet. Look lengthwise thru the hole. You
> probably won't see light thru it because it's clogged. A #79 or 80 drill
> bit will go thru it. You probably won't have drill bits that small. How
> about one bristle from a wire brush, Get it clean out and put the jet back
> in. Yeah that's the tickets, and there you go, do the other carbs and the
> problem is probably fixed.
> Right back if you want to go after the idle fuel jets.
> Greg

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

apsllp@bellsouth.net
Jim,  carbs are not that tough. Do you have a sync tool?

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Aug 12, 2019, 9:01 PM, at 9:01 PM, "Jim Miles [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Same issue with my 2003 trophy. Carbs have been the death of this bike.
>Torn down numerous times, rebuild, rejet, etc. Don’t even know where to
>start anymore. Planning to take them off again to send to a local carb
>expert. I’ve got doubts about them ever running perfectly again.
>
>Jim
>
>On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:08 PM [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]
><
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Okay, I'm back. Take the float bowls off. You'll see two jets. The
>big one
>> is the main jet and it holds the needle emulsion tube in place. The
>small
>> one is the idle fuel jet, this is the one that gets clogged. Finding
>the
>> right size screwdriver to get it out maybe a bit tricky. I bought a
>jet
>> from the dealer then took the jet to the hardware store and found a
>> screwdriver that fit. Take out the jet. Look lengthwise thru the
>hole. You
>> probably won't see light thru it because it's clogged. A #79 or 80
>drill
>> bit will go thru it. You probably won't have drill bits that small.
>How
>> about one bristle from a wire brush, Get it clean out and put the jet
>back
>> in. Yeah that's the tickets, and there you go, do the other carbs and
>the
>> problem is probably fixed.
>> Right back if you want to go after the idle fuel jets.
>> Greg

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
Hi Jim, Sorry for all your carb troubles. Here's the next thing to go after. The idle jet fuel screw or sometimes called the low speed jet. Some people call them idle air screws. Air screws are on the air filter side of the carb and they have a round or stubby end. Fuel screws are on the engine side of the carb and have a sharp point on the end of it. Most of the time the fuel screw is turned out 1&1/2 to 2 turns out. Here's where the problem lies. The jet is hard to get to while it is on the bike and it goes in quite a bit. So you've got the carbs on the bench and you  flip over the carbs to take  out the fuel screw. Out comes the screw and probably the spring. Now it is time to go fishing with a paper clip. Bend the paper clip and then cut off most of the bend so it will go down into the hole. Next out should be a washer, then the o-ring. Get a light and shine it down the hole, there might be another o-ring down in there. A second o-ring shouldn't be in there but it is a common mistake. If you don't have a light go fishing for that second o-ring. I seen a schematic that stacks the spring, washer and o-ring wrong. The washer keeps the o-ring from getting mangled by the spring. Hold the fuel screw and slide on the spring, then slide on the washer, and lastly slide on the o-ring, The o-ring should fit tightly and not fall off the fuel screw. When the fuel screw is fully inserted you can feel the point of the screw coming up into the venturi. Before inserting the fuel screw it is a good idea to shoot some carb cleaner down the hole. I hope this helps someone,

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Chris Nash
Carbs are off and all main jets are clear

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Bob Clark [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim,  carbs are not that tough. Do you have a sync tool?
>
> Get BlueMail for Android <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=15487>
> On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:01 PM, "Jim Miles [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Same issue with my 2003 trophy. Carbs have been the death of this bike..
>> Torn down numerous times, rebuild, rejet, etc. Don’t even know where to
>> start anymore. Planning to take them off again to send to a local carb
>> expert. I’ve got doubts about them ever running perfectly again.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:08 PM [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, I'm back. Take the float bowls off. You'll see two jets. The big
>>> one is the main jet and it holds the needle emulsion tube in place.. The
>>> small one is the idle fuel jet, this is the one that gets clogged.. Finding
>>> the right size screwdriver to get it out maybe a bit tricky. I bought a jet
>>> from the dealer then took the jet to the hardware store and found a
>>> screwdriver that fit. Take out the jet. Look lengthwise thru the hole. You
>>> probably won't see light thru it because it's clogged. A #79 or 80 drill
>>> bit will go thru it. You probably won't have drill bits that small. How
>>> about one bristle from a wire brush, Get it clean out and put the jet back
>>> in. Yeah that's the tickets, and there you go, do the other carbs and the
>>> problem is probably fixed.
>>> Right back if you want to go after the idle fuel jets.
>>> Greg

Christopher Bauman Nash
Nash Systems LLC.
318-219-5359
[hidden email]
http://www.nashsystems.biz

Certifications: CHP, SCLA, A+, Linux+, Network+, Server+, CEFDS, CCDA,
LPIC-1, Healthcare IT

Check out our ALD Awareness Project at:
http://www.aldawareness.com
http://www.expedition-awareness.org
Please spread the word and help raise awareness on this childhood disease

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Jim Miles
I do have a sync tool. That’s the easy part!

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Bob Clark [hidden email]
[TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim,  carbs are not that tough. Do you have a sync tool?
>
> Get BlueMail for Android <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=15487>
> On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:01 PM, "Jim Miles [hidden email]
> [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Same issue with my 2003 trophy. Carbs have been the death of this bike..
>> Torn down numerous times, rebuild, rejet, etc. Don’t even know where to
>> start anymore. Planning to take them off again to send to a local carb
>> expert. I’ve got doubts about them ever running perfectly again.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:08 PM [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, I'm back. Take the float bowls off. You'll see two jets. The big
>>> one is the main jet and it holds the needle emulsion tube in place.. The
>>> small one is the idle fuel jet, this is the one that gets clogged.. Finding
>>> the right size screwdriver to get it out maybe a bit tricky. I bought a jet
>>> from the dealer then took the jet to the hardware store and found a
>>> screwdriver that fit. Take out the jet. Look lengthwise thru the hole. You
>>> probably won't see light thru it because it's clogged. A #79 or 80 drill
>>> bit will go thru it. You probably won't have drill bits that small. How
>>> about one bristle from a wire brush, Get it clean out and put the jet back
>>> in. Yeah that's the tickets, and there you go, do the other carbs and the
>>> problem is probably fixed.
>>> Right back if you want to go after the idle fuel jets.
>>> Greg

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Jim Miles
Excellent information Greg. I’ll be sure to check that next time I have
them off. You should seriously start up a trophy carb cleaning business!
I’d be happy to send you my work!!!

Thanks,

Jim

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 9:30 PM [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jim, Sorry for all your carb troubles. Here's the next thing to go
> after. The idle jet fuel screw or sometimes called the low speed jet. Some
> people call them idle air screws. Air screws are on the air filter side of
> the carb and they have a round or stubby end. Fuel screws are on the engine
> side of the carb and have a sharp point on the end of it. Most of the time
> the fuel screw is turned out 1&1/2 to 2 turns out. Here's where the problem
> lies. The jet is hard to get to while it is on the bike and it goes in
> quite a bit. So you've got the carbs on the bench and you  flip over the
> carbs to take  out the fuel screw. Out comes the screw and probably the
> spring. Now it is time to go fishing with a paper clip. Bend the paper clip
> and then cut off most of the bend so it will go down into the hole. Next
> out should be a washer, then the o-ring. Get a light and shine it down the
> hole, there might be another o-ring down in there. A second o-ring
> shouldn't be in there but it is a common mistake. If you don't have a light
> go fishing for that second o-ring. I seen a schematic that stacks the
> spring, washer and o-ring wrong. The washer keeps the o-ring from getting
> mangled by the spring. Hold the fuel screw and slide on the spring, then
> slide on the washer, and lastly slide on the o-ring, The o-ring should fit
> tightly and not fall off the fuel screw. When the fuel screw is fully
> inserted you can feel the point of the screw coming up into the venturi.
> Before inserting the fuel screw it is a good idea to shoot some carb
> cleaner down the hole.
> I hope this helps someone,
> Greg Andrews

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

apsllp@bellsouth.net
Greg: Good to see you posting again !  Did you want Jim to adjust the air screws at all or just the mixture?  If so, where do you recomend he set them?  Bob Clark

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Aug 12, 2019, 10:30 PM, at 10:30 PM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Jim, Sorry for all your carb troubles. Here's the next thing to go
>after. The idle jet fuel screw or sometimes called the low speed jet.
>Some people call them idle air screws. Air screws are on the air filter
>side of the carb and they have a round or stubby end. Fuel screws are
>on the engine side of the carb and have a sharp point on the end of it.
>Most of the time the fuel screw is turned out 1&1/2 to 2 turns out.
>Here's where the problem lies. The jet is hard to get to while it is on
>the bike and it goes in quite a bit. So you've got the carbs on the
>bench and you  flip over the carbs to take  out the fuel screw. Out
>comes the screw and probably the spring. Now it is time to go fishing
>with a paper clip. Bend the paper clip and then cut off most of the
>bend so it will go down into the hole. Next out should be a washer,
>then the o-ring. Get a light and shine it down the hole, there might be
>another o-ring down in there. A second o-ring shouldn't be in there but
>it is a common mistake. If you don't have a light go fishing for that
>second o-ring. I seen a schematic that stacks the spring, washer and
>o-ring wrong. The washer keeps the o-ring from getting mangled by the
>spring. Hold the fuel screw and slide on the spring, then slide on the
>washer, and lastly slide on the o-ring, The o-ring should fit tightly
>and not fall off the fuel screw. When the fuel screw is fully inserted
>you can feel the point of the screw coming up into the venturi. Before
>inserting the fuel screw it is a good idea to shoot some carb cleaner
>down the hole. I hope this helps someone,
> Greg Andrews

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

apsllp@bellsouth.net
What about the enrichment jets in the float assemblies and the emulsion tubes?

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Aug 12, 2019, 10:59 PM, at 10:59 PM, "Chris Nash [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Carbs are off and all main jets are clear
>
>On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Bob Clark [hidden email]
>[TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Jim,  carbs are not that tough. Do you have a sync tool?
>>
>> Get BlueMail for Android <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=15487>
>> On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:01 PM, "Jim Miles [hidden email]
>> [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Same issue with my 2003 trophy. Carbs have been the death of this
>bike..
>>> Torn down numerous times, rebuild, rejet, etc. Don’t even know where
>>> start anymore. Planning to take them off again to send to a local
>carb
>>> expert. I’ve got doubts about them ever running perfectly again..
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:08 PM [hidden email]
>[TriumphTrophy] <

>big
>place.. The
>Finding
>bought a jet
>hole. You
>drill
>How
>jet back
>and the
>>>>

>--
>Thanks,
>Christopher Bauman Nash
>Nash Systems LLC.
>318-219-5359
>[hidden email]
>http://www.nashsystems.biz
>
>Certifications: CHP, SCLA, A+, Linux+, Network+, Server+, CEFDS, CCDA,
>LPIC-1, Healthcare IT
>
>Check out our ALD Awareness Project at:
>http://www.aldawareness.com
>http://www.expedition-awareness.org
>Please spread the word and help raise awareness on this childhood
>disease

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Chris Nash
Where can I purchase new o-rings at? I used what my friend had in a kit and he said those where from harbor freight. I'd like to have the correct o-rings for the carbs. Also I noticed that one fuel line has a filter in it and the other doesn't, should both have that little filter?

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
The main jets are always clear. They have a big hole and the slide needle goes down into the main jet. It's the low speed fuel jet that gets clogged. The hole is really small. What can I compare the size to? Pins and needles? too big. One bristle on a wire brush is more like it.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
I've got a sync tool and rarely use it. If a carb is on the bench you can get really close to syncing the carbs. Look at the bottom of the Venturi on the engine side. Just in front of the throttle plate there are little holes at the bottom of the Venturi. Get all the throttle plates to close even with the little holes. The idle adjustment cable will lift them all the same if the carbs are synced.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
Hi Jim, Years ago someone sent me their carbs to fix. I think it was Ed Johnson. We became good friends after that. Too bad he is gone, I miss him. Most of this group is in the UK and postage would be a deal breaker. I've been digging into the Mikuni carbs for many years and have a pretty good feel for them. Ed Johnson's bike was a real head scratcher, but then it turned out to be such a simple fix. The little brass jet in the float assembly was missing and rolling around in the float bowl.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
It takes about 50-60K miles to oval the emulsion tubes. That's when the fuel mileage goes bad for no reason. New emulsion tubes fixes the problem. There is s stainless steel needle rattling inside a brass emulsion tube, guess who wears out first.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

gandrews1228
Hi Big Red, Let's see if this page will paste. This pasted site is a few years old so the prices will probably be different.
 Trophy carb rubber parts

 Suzuki Katana uses our same Mikuni carbs.
 Go to this site for o-ring carb parts. http://newmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_system_parts/special_fuel_o-rings.html http://newmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_system_parts/special_fuel_o-rings.html
 Scroll downhalf way thru the page to Mikuni carb
 You are looking for these part numbers

 Float assembly small o-ring  OR-4602        (5.7mm X 1.3mm)           $0.50
 Float assembly larger o-ring OR-4631        (7.5mm X 1.5mm)           $0.50
 Vacuum cap little o-ring OR-4630                (4.0mm X 1.0mm)           $0.50
 Air screw o-ring OR-4632                                (2.65mm X 1.15mm)      $0.50

 Go to this site for float bowl gaskets.
 http://newmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_system_parts/bowl_gaskets.html http://newmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_system_parts/bowl_gaskets.html
 Scroll down half way thru the page to Suzuki
 You are looking for this part number

 BG – 2661   $6.95

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

apsllp@bellsouth.net
I know how to do the Static sync Greg. I was asking Jim Miles the question for another reason.  Now with 2 Triumphs in the family, it's getting interesting.
Bob Clark

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Aug 13, 2019, 5:25 PM, at 5:25 PM, "[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I've got a sync tool and rarely use it. If a carb is on the bench you
>can get really close to syncing the carbs. Look at the bottom of the
>Venturi on the engine side. Just in front of the throttle plate there
>are little holes at the bottom of the Venturi. Get all the throttle
>plates to close even with the little holes. The idle adjustment cable
>will lift them all the same if the carbs are synced.

Re: Carbs on a trophy 1200

Samuel Crider
Hi Chris,

Take a strand of soft drawn copper wire of the guage required and chase out
the small circuits in the carb body's. Like a strand from a #12 or #10 thhn
wire. Mount it up in a small cordless drill. Slowly run it all the way
through till it exits out of the exit hole. Wherever that may be. It should
push a bunch of orange crud out. That fixed what low speed issues I had. My
experience is that solvent soaks just don't cut it. And might even harm the
carb body's. Set all of the floats with a small drill bit to where they are
at least all the same and close to being the correct height. Replace the
rubber and providing the tubes aren't worn out you should be good to go.

Best wishes,
Samuel
NOLA
96 BBBB PB