Can the trophy do winter?

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I'd like to ride my Trophy through winter. Just wondering how robust it is? Any tips? I have a rear hugger. Can anyone recommend a fender extenda?

Re: Can the trophy do winter?

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Giles, The Trophy handles it just fine. Wearing an electric vest and electric gloves, really helps. The electric gloves are thinner than the big bulky winter gloves. I also insert the Triumph accessory foot spoiler in the lower vent.  Greg Andrews
 '96 900 BRG
 107,000 smiles

Re: Can the trophy do winter?

Hey "Shindle?"
   First, where are you? Since we are a world wide web group, location, location, location, is of primary concern. Mine is a ’95 1200cc. It didn’t have a "Hugger", but Greg and I are going to mount one. Mainly because, I think they look very cool. They will also make changing a flat more difficult. Even without a "fend-extenda" it doesn’t seem to get very dirty at all, mud or otherwise, on the underside rear. My ’95 instead came with a big rubber flap that covers and protects quite nicely, and has for 21 years (I bought mine brand new!). The rear really does not get too messy. I rode thru one of the historically heavy rain on record, North to South in mid August, a few years back. It was by far the heaviest rain, I have ever had the misfortune of encountering in all of the 50 + years of riding. I even have the short stock windshield, which gave me enough air pressure to keep my visor clear. In near 22 years of riding my "Gal", weather and fenders never made a mess. That rubber flap is breaking laterally now, and since Winter is upon us, I’m going to replace it, but I’ll use scrap belt thickness leather, to replace it if I decide not to install the "Hugger"! Looking at newer models with the hugger doesn’t impress me much. Like I said, I just think it looks cool! I also run "Saeng-Micro-swirl Edging" on the upper edge of the short stock windshield, and that little investment, 20 years ago, is one of the best things I’ve added for comfort, on the long haul rides, I love so much. It is my 3rd. Corbin Saddle in a row on my motorbikes. I have many 500+ mile days on my bike, and I didn’t feel the crushing hemorrhoids, that have plagued me most of my life. I can do a 600 mile day any time I need to. I’d rather not do more than like 300-400 miles per day, and set camp at around 2 to 3 PM, each day. Then sit around and eat barbecued steaks, and drink beer, with my evenings when I have the chance! Rise early, break camp, and move along to a great big "Trucker Breakfast", at a likely looking place (Logging trucks parked out front!). To settle in for my most important meal of the day!
  I think I paid like $2/per foot or so for the "Micro-Swirl" edging, maybe more, but it will be on every windshield I ever own from now on! It breaks up all that stiff wind blast, we get behind the windscreens. Also, it does not appear to wear out, or crack-up (craze), even after so many years. It all depends on where you currently live, and ride! Personally, I would not ever live in a place, that I couldn’t ride all year 'round! If I want it, I can always ride up to the snow-line! In our local high mountains the level often gets down to the 4,000ft. Level. That’s good enough for me!
 Kindest regards,
 Poppa Jack - Buena Park, Ca. (714)827-5196- You can always call for a weather report from yours truly! If SoCal is where you’re going. Where we have always ridden all year around! Watch out for "Black-Ice" in any kind of shade!
PS : You can make a nice "Mud-Flap", for the rear out of belt leather scraps from your local leather shop. Also, while you are at it make up a nail flap to mount on your centerstand, ahead of your rear tire, and virtually end rear tire flats! A Brit rider I met told me about hanging a heavy leather flap attached across the bike before the rear tire. It’ll shed mud, and better yet, NAILS, before they reach the rear tire. I have been extolling the virtues of my "Nail Flap" design (7" X 6" thick leather suspended from the cross-arm zip tied onto the raised centerstand (Long side vertically!). When the centerstand is up, and one is riding at even just a slow speed, that flap will be heavy enough, thru speed and onion to bat almost any kind if nail out of the way. When a "Work Truck" drops a box of nails on a road surface, they will scatter, and cause flats for years, especially on open country road! <JB

> On Nov 12, 2016, at 3:24 AM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I'd like to ride my Trophy through winter. Just wondering how robust it is? Any tips? I have a rear hugger. Can anyone recommend a fender extenda?

Re: Can the trophy do winter?

Viper57
G'Day Giles

I also ride my '98 Trophy 1200 in the winter - its a great bike for weather protection

I was going to fabricate a rear mudflap from some heavy duty rubber but I inquired at my Triumph dealer if the rear extension was still available and they confirmed it was.

So, I ordered a OEM Triumph rear mudguard extension , Triumph part number T2300335 , and it only cost me $30 AUD.No shipping costs.The dealer had to order it from the UK and it took 4 weeks to arrive

Works really well - if I was you I would ask your local dealer to check with Triumph UK if they have any left in stock.

Cheers
Gary

Re: Can the trophy do winter?

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Thanks guys. As you say the faring works really well. My main issue is whether the salt will spoil the condition of the bike, as it's very clean right now. I am tempted to buy some scruffy bike to take the salt, but I already have 3 bikes, which is 1 too many really!