COP's

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi All:

     Due to a health situation I've recently had some time on my hands
and couldn't ride so have been experimenting with installing COP's on a
1200! COP's are Coil On Plugs that are being used on a lot of sport
bikes, cars, and other vehicles and are much cheaper and more compact
than the coils and wires on our Trophy's. COP's have been successfully
installed on many triples but so far only one report of them being used
on a 1200 has surfaced that I could find. If you know of anyone else let
me know. The one person who claims to have done this on a 1200 seems to
have disappeared.

     The reason I was unsuccessful with the 1200 just came to my
attention today while consulting with a friend of mine who also happens
to be an Electronic design engineer and KTM rider. When I told him of my
plight we went over the schematics of the 1200 Trophy and Yamaha donor
bike that provided the COP's! He determined that even though I had
matched the resistance of the OEM coils I apparently had not matched the
"INDUCTANCE" to the satisfaction of the ignitor. The bike would start,
reluctantly, idle and run up to about 1200 rpms but would not take any
more throttle no matter how warm the engine got. Note that my bike has
about 100,000 miles on it but runs great on the PVL coils and new OEM
wires. It's possible the other person that claims to have success with
this conversion may have a bike with less miles on it which might be the
key to his success. However my friend says that I have already proved
that the OEM coils are superior to the COP's on my bike based on the
difference in performance between the two installations. The bike fires
up instantly on the OEM coils and wires and reluctantly on the COP's and
even then only using a booster battery pack! No comparison. I was
looking for a step UP not DOWN!

     Bottom line if you are thinking about doing this on a 1200 I
wouldn't bother as this is the second set of COP's I've tried with no
joy on either set. If you have a triple I would highly recommend the
conversion either for a reliable step up or even a back up set for long
trips etc. They are much cheaper that three PVL coils and OEM wires plus
much lighter.

     If you are stateside and want to make me an offer for all the wires
and four COP's including instructions on how to convert your triple I am
open for offers. I think I've had as much as I can have with my clothes
on and my health issues are getting resolved enough that I'm tired of
tinkering and ready to go riding!

Cheers!

Ed J.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: COP's

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. And thank you for the through
explanation. I'll remove that one off of my future list.

Enjoy the ride,

Samuel
NOLA

On Monday, June 20, 2016, Ed Johnson [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ed J.
>

> --
> Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387
>
> ---
>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Ed Johnson <[hidden email] <javascript:;>>
> ------------------------------------
>
> List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
> agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
> writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
> topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
> except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
> minimum when replying.
>

> Post message: [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> Subscribe:  [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> Unsubscribe:  [hidden email] <javascript:;>

Re: COP's

Triumph Trophy mailing list
This was one of those back burner projects thst the heat has now been turned off.

On the gas till ya see God, then brake!!!