Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I acquired my first motorcycle about 8 years ago, a 1996 BRG Trophy 900 and
have put about 20,000 miles (about 32,200 km) on it.  As we all know, these
beasts are top heavy however that is irrelevant.  When I bought the Trophy
is had bent rims but to me, as a novice rider, they were not problematic.
My mentors have shown me what my 900 is capable of and I have never had an
issue with it's handling, more so my learning curve.  I have always tubed
my tires when I have them changed.  I winter in Florida where I acquired a
1996 BMW R1100RS (lower center of gravity and thus not as top heavy).  I
store the Trophy in a neighbors shed for the winter, and upon returning
north in May, I found that one of my fuel lines had cracked (probably an
original) which I fixed temporarily with a straight connector.  I also
noted that the rear tire had deflated.  I have had to put air in just about
every other day.  I took it to the nearest cycle shop yesterday, having
explained the situation to them.  Once they examined the wheel, they
refused to work on it as their concern was that the bent rim was too bent
and probably causing the loss of air pressure.  They also said that it was
inappropriate to tube a low profile tire such as is spec on the Trophy
900s, 170/60R17, fearful of litigation for attempting a fix and telling me
that the wheel situation was dangerous.

So, shopping around on Ebay I note that there are a number of available
rear rims from Trophies and one from a Daytona.  Most of the listings
indicate compatibility with all years models except 1996.  The Triumph part
number, according to Bike Bandit is T2010231.

Can anyone provide some guidance to me here?

Thanks,

Tom Pritchard
1996 BBB BRG

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Where in Florida do you winter Tom?

     There are several of us here in various locations that would
welcome riding partners from time to time. I do have an extra front
wheel that I believe would fit your Trophy but would have to check with
my mentor to make sure but that is as close to relevancy as I can come
to the original intent of your post!

BTW: I am in the Melbourne area with others in the Tampa, St.Augustine,
and Jacksonville areas for starters.

Ed J.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Hi Tom,  Sprint, Daytona, Trophy, Speed Triple, the wheels are all the same except for the paint color. Gray has one part number, and black has another.
 T2000051 Triumph Wheel Front Sub Assembly, Black. http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/triumph-wheel-front-s-assy-black-t2000051-part.html

 http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/triumph-wheel-front-s-assy-black-t2000051-part.html

 T2000051 Triumph Wheel Front Sub Assembly, Black. http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/triumph-wheel-front-s-assy-black-t2000051-part.html Triumph Wheel Front Sub Assembly, Black (T2000051) is used in Front Wheel (serial Number 16922 and Higher) assembly for 1996 Triumph Sprint, Fro...

 View on www.2wheelpros.com http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/triumph-wheel-front-s-assy-black-t2000051-part.html
 Preview by Yahoo

   A bent rim can be repaired to as good as new. David Moore can fix it.
 David Moore Wheel Service https://local.yahoo.com/info-66756697-david-moore-wheel-service-apple-valley

 https://local.yahoo.com/info-66756697-david-moore-wheel-service-apple-valley

 David Moore Wheel Service https://local.yahoo.com/info-66756697-david-moore-wheel-service-apple-valley Find David Moore Wheel Service in Apple Valley with Address, Phone number from Yahoo US Local. Includes David Moore Wheel Service Reviews, maps & direct...

 View on local.yahoo.com https://local.yahoo.com/info-66756697-david-moore-wheel-service-apple-valley
 Preview by Yahoo

 Maybe you can buy a front wheel for $150 on Ebay. Most likely it will be bent and it will also need to be straightened. Dave has fixed a lot of wheels, about 4 of them for me and my brother. He lives near me. I've been to his shop and he's got the right equipment to do a proper fix. The UPS truck comes to his shop almost everyday bringing wheels from all over the USA. He does so much business with UPS he gets a pretty good rate on shipping. Give him a call.
 Greg Andrews
 96 900 BRG

Tom Pritchard1996 BBB BRG

Re: Bent Wheels and various year and model compatibilities

Hi Tom

Whilst bent rims are a cause of concern it sounds like you have been comfortable using the bike in this condition and, as it was capable of holding pressure initially, there is little reason to believe it would suddenly fail for this reason alone. Just how bent is it, can you measure the run out?
Bent rims won&#39;t leak air but creases or damage to the bead seat area could so unless you have the latter I would suggest you cease using tubes, it&#39;s inappropriate and could be dangerous. If you cannot remove the tube yourself I&#39;m sure you can get a tyre shop just to do it without them even being aware of the bent rim.

My Trophy had been ridden into the Armco barriers and was written off when I got it with damag including a bent wear rim but it is possible to straighten these rims, you would need large bits of timber, clamps, a big hammer and a little patience!

Good luck

Ivor in Buckinghamshire