Alternator wiring

Viper57
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone of the forum has experience in direct wiring of the alternator to the battery on a 1998 Trophy 1200.

I have looked at other forums and it seems that the idea is to take the brown wire from the 'B' terminal of the alternator and connect it, with an inline 30amp fuse, direct to the + terminal of the battery.

Would this be OK? I am not that familiar with auto electrics and I would not like to fry the bike's electrics or cause any other damage. Any guidance/assistance would be greatly appreciated and I understand that I do this mod at my own risk and consequences.

The reason i am thinking of this mod is the fact that my volt gauge shows 13 volts when the bike is running at revs greater that 2000rpm with headlights off, and shows just 12 volts with the lights on.

Cheers
Gary

Re: Alternator wiring

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Gary

Happy Holidays.

No experience doing that, but do have experience in general dealing with the T300 charging system.

I would check the alternator voltage directly before I spent the time doing the wiring.  I suspect you'll find the alternator is starting to go.

If its not, I still don't think bypassing the circuit is the right approach.  Yes, you'll get the voltage to the battery, but whatever issue remains in the wiring harness is still going to be impacting other circuits.  Good that you can charge the battery, but if you're starving the coils or headlights you've still got problems.

Worse, it might be a pending failure in the ignition circuit that will eventually fail and leave you stranded somewhere.

So I'd check the alternator.  If its going bad, get it rebuilt.
If not, I'd review the wiring, particularly the grounds.

Scott

---In [hidden email], <Triumph357@...> wrote :

 Hi everyone

 I was wondering if anyone of the forum has experience in direct wiring of
 the alternator to the battery on a 1998 Trophy 1200.

 The reason i am thinking of this mod is the fact that my volt gauge shows 13
 volts when the bike is running at revs greater that 2000rpm with headlights
 off, and shows just 12 volts with the lights on.

 Cheers
 Gary

Re: Alternator wiring

Before you do anything Gary, I have an acquaintance that had a similar
problem and changed alternators twice and got to the third one with the
same problem. Several advisors on that forum suggested that he try a
different VOM and his response was that he was using a brand new
expensive meter. To make a long story short [Which is too late now! :-)]
it turns out the "brand new" expensive meter was wrong and he had to
take it back. Moral of the story is double check with another meter first!

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: Alternator wiring

Calibrated tools are worth thier weight in gold. Facts and Data tell he story. Anything else is just an indication something may be happening.
Bob Clark

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Re: Alternator wiring

Viper57
Thanks guys for the quick responses - fantastic base of information here

My son ( who happens to be a diesel mechanic) advised me to remove the alternator, take it to a firm he works with and have them check it and the voltage regulator , which ties in with advice received here on the forum.

So after the xmas holidays I will remove the alternator/regulator and have it checked out

Again, thanks everyone for stopping me in making a potential mistake !

Cheers
Gary

Re: Alternator wiring

Triumph Trophy mailing list
When I had mine rebuilt, I mentioned to the rebuilder the challenge some have had getting them rebuilt and the pricing.

They mentioned two things, which I'd suggest you ask them about before taking it over there.

1) Make sure they are a denso dealer / have access to the denso parts line
2) Make sure they are comfortable building a test rig or have an adaptable test rig for this alternator.  My rebuilder didn't, but decided to go ahead and make one.  These don't have a belt driven pulley like a car/truck alternator would.

And I'd still suggest checking the voltage at the alternator before doing the work to remove it.  Might be a bad cable/ground or even a questionable meter as suggested.

When you go to re-install it, pick up 2 replacement o-rings.
Lube the o-ring with fresh oil or some grease or something.  If you don't, you'll tear it and have a leak.  Even if you do, you might tear it and have a leak.  That's why I suggest 2 (they're relatively cheap).

Scott

---In [hidden email], <Triumph357@...> wrote :
My son ( who happens to be a diesel mechanic) advised me to remove the
 alternator, take it to a firm he works with and have them check it and the
 voltage regulator , which ties in with advice received here on the forum.

Re: Alternator wiring

Viper57
cheers for all the replies everyone

Just a newbie question - where is the main earth ground wire located on a 1998 trophy 1200?

Re: Alternator wiring

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I believe its on one of the alternator mounting bolts. Make sure it is
clean and tight.

Samuel
On Dec 29, 2016 4:44 PM, "Viper57 [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> cheers for all the replies everyone
>
> Just a newbie question - where is the main earth ground wire located on a
> 1998 trophy 1200?

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Viper57 <[hidden email]>
> ------------------------------------
>
> List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
> agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
> writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
> topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
> except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
> minimum when replying.
>

> Post message: [hidden email]
> Subscribe:  [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
> List owner:  [hidden email]
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: Alternator wiring

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Alternator mounting bolt on my 900 (and my Legend).  Not sure why it would be different on a 1200 - but I've never worked on one so can't say for sure.

Its a very short run from the alternator bolt to the battery.

Leaving it off will produce very strange results.  I have also done this.

Scott

 On Dec 29, 2016 4:44 PM, "Viper57 Triumph357@... mailto:Triumph357@... [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:

 Just a newbie question - where is the main earth ground wire located on a
 1998 trophy 1200?

Re: Alternator wiring

Viper57
Hi everyone

Just an update -

The cause of low voltage was found to be a poor/corroded/dirty main earth , which was at the rear of the alternator (as people on this forum advised)

Seriously, instead of making this bigger than Ben Hur I should have started with the basics - poor earth connections cause 90% of electrical issues

So, tail firmly bwteeen my legs, I cleaned/ redid the earth fittings, reconnected and 'voila' there is a steady 14 volts on the volt gauge

Thanks for everyone's patience with me on this what should have been a simple fix

Cheers
Gary

Re: Alternator wiring

Thanks Samuel [😊]

________________________________

On Dec 29, 2016 4:44 PM, "Viper57 [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
cheers for all the replies everyone

Just a newbie question - where is the main earth ground wire located on a
1998 trophy 1200?

------------------------------------
Posted by: Viper57 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
------------------------------------

List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

Post message: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Subscribe:  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
List owner:  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Yahoo Groups Links

=?utf-8?B?T3V0bG9va0Vtb2ppLfCfmIoucG5n?= (672 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Alternator wiring

Cheers scott

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5 on the Telstra Mobile Network