Advice on blown engine please

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi, I took my Trophy 900 to Italy in May and unfortunately blew the head gasket. I had to run the engine hot for a hundred miles or so to get home that day, which is not ideal. I need to decide whether to fix the engine or replace it. Replacing the whole engine I suspect will be easier and cheaper, but happy to hear advice on this. Does anyone know which engines would fit in to the Trophy easily?

Re: Advice on blown engine please

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Giles, Sorry to read about your bad news. Repair or replace is the question. It depends on the condition of your 900 engine. Did antifreeze get down into the engine oil? If it did the connecting rod bearing material surrounding the crankshaft will need to be replaced and maybe the crankshaft also. If no antifreeze got into the engine oil then a repair won't be too hard. You can even leave the engine in the frame. Take the head off and get it resurfaced at a machine shop. I think the local machine shop here in Apple Valley charged me $60. The machine operator only took off .005 in. to clean it up. A head gasket will cost about $60. There might be a few other gaskets that you'll want to replace.
 How about replacing the engine. There are a lot of engines that will work. Any of the 900 Sprint engines will work. Of course any 900 Trophy engine will work. I think a Thunder Sport engine will also work. The engines I've mentioned all have green cams. If you go with the Adventurer engine they have blue cams. More grunt in lower rpm's but you'll lose power at higher rpm's. I don't know about the Trident engine. You could even put in a 1200 engine, but a few changes will be needed. Coils of course, Your spark plug wires can be used, but you'll also need the wire that goes to the #4 spark plug. The only high cost item might be the ECU that fits a 1200 engine. The 1200 also uses a larger radiator.

 I say take the head off and see what damage was done. It won't cost anything to do that. Oh, I forgot. You are planning on doing all the work yourself, aren't you? If a shop is going to do the work, forget about it. Just go buy another Trophy and your old bike will now be a parts bike.

 Greg Andrews
 '96 900 BRG
 '98 Sprint
 '96 1200 Trident

Thanks Greg. I haven't got the bike back yet. I'm thinking that given the uncertainty about the condition of the current engine, I'd rather replace it it. Good to know the other 900 engines will go in - quite like the idea of the Tiger engine, but there's not a lot of engines for sale. Yes, I plan to do it myself. Cheers Giles

Re: Advice on blown engine please

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Giles,  The Tiger engine has blue cams. More grunt down low, but it looses power at the high end.
 I don't know how it would perform in this example.
 Cruising at 60mph and you want to pass a few cars. Shift down a gear and give it full throttle.
 Will it accelerate like our Trophys can? I'm guessing it won't.
 Maybe someone else can chime in here.
 Greg

Re: Advice on blown engine please

Thanks Greg. To be honest it's not a bike I rev out much anyway. Personally I'd prefer the higher torque, but would be a bit concerned about whether the engine would run OK in a Trophy.

Re: Advice on blown engine please

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Hi Giles,  Sure it would run okay in a Trophy. It is the same engine, just different cams and maybe a different ECU.
 So if you choose to swap out the engine there are lots of models using the 885 engine.
 So shop around and find a good deal.
 Greg