'98 Sprint Executive [5 Attachments]

Triumph Trophy mailing list

 1998 Triumph Sprint Executive 900 Triple w/ panniers <17K miles

 Too many Triumphs in garage.

 Traditionalist’s sport tourer.  Go for day or weekend trips…or buy a top case off Ebay and go for weeks at a time. Comes with topcase rack, tank bra and extra windscreen. New brakes, sprocket.
 Valve clearances recently checked, new cam cover gasket & plugs. New alternator cush drive.
 Genmar bar risers.
 California bike, therefore 84 HP Tiger motor, but better torque than 97 HP 49 state model.

 Rare bike, only produced 1997-1998. Very few in America.

 Other accessories available.    $ 3000 firm.

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Greetings from El Cerrito California, Seems I'm late to the party here - but if it hasn't yet been sold...
 Regarding the panniers,  will they  fit a standard full face helmet? (mine's a Nolan N something)
 > Whats it weigh?   I assume its relatively quick - can you compare it to a Trophy  1200?
 Can you comment on  the wind protection ?
 My Trophy 1200 was stolen, and I'm now riding a Kawasaki Concours 1000.   It's proving to be a real champ but always too heavy.  Also lacks the verve of the Triumph (shaft drive vs chain?)
 Also, where are you?
 Thanks for your time with this,
 Dino Corti
 510-701-5932 mobile

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
What fork springs did you use and why?

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
I have the information on the fork springs in the paperwork, I got the bike with the springs already installed. Not sure of the reason, might be the stock springs were a little weak for what the original owner wanted. I like riding this Trophy over my newer 2013 Trophy SE, just more crisp in the transmission, brakes,and the handling IMHO.

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Thanks! I have an almost identical '01 and curious about the Race Tech
Fork springs. I'm not unhappy with the way it handles but am due to do
the fork seals as preventive maintenance and thinking about 15 year old
fork springs with over 100,00 miles on them.

Ed J.

On 8/21/2016 4:05 PM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] wrote:

> I have the information on the fork springs in the paperwork, I got the
> bike with the springs already installed. Not sure of the reason, might
> be the stock springs were a little weak for what the original owner
> wanted. I like riding this Trophy over my newer 2013 Trophy SE, just
> more crisp in the transmission, brakes,and the handling IMHO.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
100,000 miles, Cool! The clock on my is close to turning over 26,000 it is a lot of fun to ride. What do you have for a throttle lock on yours, if any? I have a Crampbuster http://www.blazenauto.com/store/10a-346333011-B001L9KI56-Crampbuster_CB4_Black_Throttle_Mounted_Motorcycle_Cruise_Assist.html on mine. One of the thing I like better on the TT SE is the fuel injection and cruise control.

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
That's what I have on mine as well! It's a lifesaver for such a simple
device. It's so hot here in Florida that it would slip on the grip so I
built up the grip under it by adding some pieces of bicycle tire inner
tube and it works a treat.

     Great country you have to ride in! Pretty flat here in Florida and
I sometimes miss the PNW where I grew up. [Centralia,WA!] In my younger
days I was a night club entertainer and worked Klamath Falls many times.
I based out of and lived in Eugene for several years.

     I love my Trophy but have never ridden another one so have nothing
to compare it with so if you can find some specs on the fork springs it
would be much appreciated. Also important is whether you ride two up or
single and how much you weigh. Also how much luggage you carry. In my
flat tracking days I liked stiff forks but my limited career on asphalt
I'm not sure how much front end dive is normal. I've made some dynamite
stops from about 80 to 10 without any problems but like I said; Not sure
how much dive is normal.

Thanks for responding. Not wishing you bad luck but hope you don't sell
the old one! Once their gone their gone! LOL!

Ed J.

On 8/21/2016 9:05 PM, [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] wrote:

> 100,000 miles, Cool! The clock on my is close to turning over 26,000
> it is a lot of fun to ride. What do you have for a throttle lock on
> yours, if any? I have a Crampbuster
> <http://www.blazenauto.com/store/10a-346333011-B001L9KI56-Crampbuster_CB4_Black_Throttle_Mounted_Motorcycle_Cruise_Assist.html>
> on mine. One of the thing I like better on the TT SE is the fuel
> injection and cruise control.

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Ed,

 Sorry for taking so long to get back too you about the springs, the paper work I have says they are Race Tech, purchased in Sept. of 2006, looks like this would be the springs used in my Trophy, http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Triumph/Trophy%204%201200/1994-2001 http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Triumph/Trophy%204%201200/1994-2001

 Hope this helps,

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Thanks!

--
Ed J. Indian Harbour Beach, FL 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200 321-795-4387

---

Re: '98 Sprint Executive

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Howdy Y’all,
  I had "Racetech do my front end a couple years back, and I’m going to show another bunch of money to them to do my rear suspension. I only have <40K miles on the rear, but if I put anybody on the back, with even the preload  up to the max, to bottoms out the shock. I’m sure I recall back in the 90’s that the rear cannot be rebuilt? I’m wondering about how many miles that rear shock  does last, before it needs rebuilt/replacement? I only have 32.8k miles on my bike. That seems short mileage for that rear suspension to me? I RaceTeched my front end, at 25K, but that wasn’t because It was worn out. I wanted more front end control. The difference is indescribable! I set my rear down softer, and found "Soft-rear" out of the corners kept me planted! I lessened any wheelspin, could drive out of the corners much harder, plus the front tire was easier to keep on the ground, when I got back on the gas!  My "Baby" was so much faster thru the twisties than it had any right to be, I was sold on RaceTech! I’m not a "Ricky Racer, but I do love that "flo-experience, of gliding thru a set of esses, as smooth as glass. Yeah, there are occasions that necessitate a bit of a "wipe", but as I age, the occasion of such ablutions are more common than I ever thought possible. So Brothers, I pose technical question, " which is better for really speeding thru an asphalt covered corner, a softer sprung rear-end, or a harder sprung rear-end?  Do I want to "Bottom", or, near bottom my suspension in a long "sweeper"? What is "optimal"? Momma Jack has given me the "Okay!" She has  "Ratholed" enough that I can either have dentures, or rear suspension. I used to be a 310 pound weightlifter, and over the past 5-6 years, I dropped 100lbs. (and a foot off my waistline). That’s like taking 100lbs, in metal off my old Triumph Trophy!!!! My bike is so fast, I can’t believe it. I’ve ridden a pretty quick Harley for the last 33 years, but my 74 c.i.d. "Trumpet" four banger is amazingly faster. An Arizona helo, topped out at 162mph, an my old ’95 "walked away" from him. I had a full set of saddle bags, and top box, as well as a tank bag holding my radar-detector. As long as the signal got weaker, i held it at at least 3/4 throttle.
  What it amounts to is that mine was a Euro-Spec bike, meant to run at 150 all day long. When I did my test ride, it was on a ’95 Trophy "TRIPLE", and it was the fastest thing (English), I’d ever ridden. Then, the weirdest thing happened, I felt a sensation on that  fully faired BRG triple that I could imagine. I had wheeled into an empty parking lot, and wheeled around as if to park, and the bike felt exactly like a Trophy 500 I had in high school!!!!  It was amazing, I could feel the lineage I had ridden clear back in 1963! I did a U-turn to back into a parking spot, and I did it within the width of the painted lines!!!! That was it. I’d ridden literally every single motorcycle a dealer anywhere would let me ride, including "H-D", and found nothing that could compare to that Triumph Trophy. It was horribly expensive, but they gave me a good trade in on my BMW. (I wish I’d kept that one!! I love old BMW twins. Best bike ever built!). To this day, I’d love to have a ’79 BMW R100rt. If I get another, I’ll never let it go! I’d also keep my ’95 Triumph Trophy 1200. I truly think this is the most beautiful bike Triumph has built, in their modern era. In terms of motorcycle design, and that being great enough to attract the buyers Triumph has. I think this run has been nothing short of miraculous.

Kindest regards,
   Poppa Jack