‘96 Trophy 900 died

Brian Fitzsimons
Hi all,

Long time no speak.  I trust that our UK contingent are enjoying the fantastic weather that we are currently being blessed with.....

I bring sad news of the demise of my Trophy 900.  However, my misfortune may be someone else’s gain.

You may recall that I stopped riding the old lady a few years ago, after a period of ill health.  I moved to a lighter bike, and put her to my mechanic of 20 years, who had never let me down before.  She had a few minor issues, needed a full service and MOT.  The 0lan was to then fins a good home for her.

Suffice to say, after several failed sales, my mechanic contacted me to advise that due to ill health himself, he had closed his business.  Both bikes were at his workshop.  When I went to collect, it was obvious that despite promises, and me being on his case, the Trophy had been wintered uncovered for 2 winters!

Tank full of rust, carbs full of rust, brake calliper seized and rusted, not starting despite  new battery - but turning over OK.

I put it to a new garage run by bikers.  It is repairable, but not economic to repair if I use a garage.  I would have to do it myself.......   AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!   I am spitting nails, and have not even been able to talk to my former friend.

So, my choice - take it on as a project ( but lack of garage space); split for parts (probably liberate about £1,200 - but the old lady does not deserve that); sell as project for someone else......... knowing I have lost a lot of money whatever I do.

Guys, if a Trophy lover wants to take this on as a project bike, don’t worry about distance e to collect etc.  I live north of Inverness, but am down in Gloucester several times a year, and Yarnfield once a year.  We could work something out, I am sure.  I just don’t want to see her broken up when all she needs is a lot of time and effort, and some replacement bits.

If you are interested, email me at [hidden email] and we can set up a call to talk about her, and see what we can do......  Otherwise, it’s ebay and gumtree......  thanks.

Kind regards,

Brian

Dr Brian Fitzsimons
Guerir quelquefois, soulager souvent, consoler toujours.

0771 4376941

This message may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended Recipient, please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.  Please do not disclose, copy, or
distribute information in this e-mail, or take any action in reliance of its content.  To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

> On 19 Jun 2017, at 03:39, Jack Byers [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You have to go after it with a 1/4" drive, long extensions, whilst the bike rests on the side stand. I think I used about all the little extensions, and a allen head socket. If you have that come loose a second time you’ll need to take that damn thing all apart, and clean everything. I cleaned the odd looking bolt with alcohol, let it dry, put "Locktight", on the threads, and screwed it in tight about 16-18 years back. Never have had that one again. I carried the little kit for tightening that bolt in my bag ever sense. Until I tore it down and cleaned it, I was fighting with that bolt vibrating loose. It is another small personality issue, from the factory. It has come up over the years on almost every bike, at least 'till it’s properly done. Worse yet, it’s always so messy to deal with on the side of the road. I think I added up about 18" of extensions, then push the chain out of the way. I can’t recall what size or torx vs Allen inset I think it was 6mm? Best advise is take that whole footpeg shifter assembly off the bike clean it up completely, alcohol clean the bolt wearing clean gloves, or hands, and take your time to do a proper job, and it might never bother you again!
>  Kindest regards,
>    Poppa Jack
>

>> On Jun 13, 2017, at 6:04 PM, S Wiley [hidden email] [TriumphTrophy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Does anyone have a quick step set of instructions for tightening pilot pegs?
>>
>> So far Argh....
>>

>> Stu Wiley
>>
>> Cascadia
>>
>> BBBS Merlot ‘96

Re: ‘96 Trophy 900 died

Jim Miles
I’ll be in the same boat if I don’t get busy repairing soon.. My 2003 has
been sitting in the  garage for 2 years now. Need to go through the tank,
carbs, plus a battery at minimum. To make matters worse I’ve inherited a
2010 FJR1300 which is pretty easy to ride compared to the broken Trophy:)

Good luck,
Jim

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 4:13 AM Brian Fitzsimons [hidden email]