96 BBB - Ignitor box mod pointer needed - rev limiter wire

96 BBB - Ignitor box mod pointer needed - rev limiter wire

Triumph Trophy mailing list
Gents,

I know some of you old school tuners used to do a rev limiter mod on the BBB.
Pretty common within the NZ community a decade ago.  (ref TriumphRat HInkley FAQ)

Can anyone point me to more information than "just cut A wire..."    ?
Pics, detailed instructions etc. Any resource helpful.
How do I know I have the right ignitor box type? Which SPECIFIC wire is the limiter wire?
How can I test to be sure before cutting?  After to know it's successful?

Anyone having done this, I'd love to hear from you.

I haven't decided to do this mod yet.  Just researching.
Weighing pros/cons and need as much detail as possible first.

Cheers!

Wiley

Re: 96 BBB - Ignitor box mod pointer needed - rev limiter wire

Triumph Trophy mailing list
"[hidden email] [TriumphTrophy]" <[hidden email]>
said:

> Gents,
>
> I know some of you old school tuners used to do a rev limiter mod on the BBB.
> Pretty common within the NZ community a decade ago.  (ref TriumphRat HInkley FAQ)
>
> Can anyone point me to more information than "just cut A wire..."    ?
> Pics, detailed instructions etc. Any resource helpful.
> How do I know I have the right ignitor box type? Which SPECIFIC wire is the limiter wire?
> How can I test to be sure before cutting?  After to know it's successful?

I haven't done the mod, but it's a loopback wire on the connector to
the ECU and I believe it's the only loopback wire. Although looking
around, it may not be that advisable:

http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/101336-do-i-cut-the-blue-wire-or-the-red.html

Mike Fleming

Re: 96 BBB - Ignitor box mod pointer needed - rev limiter wire

Hi Wiley,

 I asked about this a few months ago when I attended one of Clive Woods' T300 Engine Courses...

 On the earlier T300s the Rev Limiter Link is in the Ignitor Sub-Harness not in the Ignitor itself, between pins 2 and 8, as shown in the attached photo (I hope).

 There may well be a similar arrangement on the later Ignitor Wiring loom - mine's not in a condition to examine it easily so I can't check for you.

 There should be a white paper label on the Ignitor stating what type it is - the legend is something like "T309 STD  F1" and the Part Number, in this case 1290060. These labels are often missing though..

 Hope this helps

 Gordon3xBBB
 Stroud, Gloucestershire. U.K.